UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: DAY OF RECKONING (John Hyams, 2012)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: DAY OF RECKONING (John Hyams, 2012)

Postby Jox on 26 Feb 2022, 21:30

lhz wrote:

This video popped on my YouTube recommendations and it is the entire fight between Dolph and Adkins in full 4K presentation. I just checked it on my OLED TV to verify it is not false or upscaled but it seems a true ultra hd video. The author on his description doesn't describe anything relating to his own doing by bringing it in 4K. So my question : is there anywhere UNISOL DoR available on this format, online or physical ? (I guess not but I'd better ask).

But the video resolution here is in 1080p only...?! :?
And I've never seen any 4K release of this one whether it's on disc or digital so it looks a bit sketchy, and the only way would be to have access to the original master or a theatrical DCP...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby lhz on 26 Feb 2022, 23:16

Jox wrote:But the video resolution here is in 1080p only...?! :?
And I've never seen any 4K release of this one whether it's on disc or digital so it looks a bit sketchy, and the only way would be to have access to the original master or a theatrical DCP...

Because your monitor does not support 4K. Take a look at my screenshot attached. Plus the 4K label is shown in the thumbnail. From what I watched it looks really like true ultra HD. If it is not then the handmade upscale has been really nicely made...
lhz

Postby Jox on 27 Feb 2022, 23:58

Oh so Youtube must have changed that because I had seen 4K videos on there before (at least you could see the resolution was available)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby lhz on 01 Mar 2022, 21:04

I asked directly to the author of the video right in the comments. Let's see if we'll get an answer. Even so, there is high probability we are facing some handmade video editing here. It would be too good to be true to have some 4K hanging around somewhere...
lhz

Postby Jox on 02 Mar 2022, 13:00

Keep in mind this was shot in HD (with a RED camera) and I believe it was mastered from a 2K Digital Intermediate, so even though a 4K release would look better, the difference likely wouldn't be as noticeable than for older movies shot on film for instance (which from what I read is also the case with the even more recent AQUAMAN and CREED II and their 4K releases)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby lhz on 04 Mar 2022, 21:12

Well depends from what we are speaking precisely. From my point of view people often got the wrong opinion due to average home material, even what is calibrate as demo in retailers are wrong.
First if the movie is from a 2K intermediate transfer, it will be indeed not much of a difference if you are watching it through a basic TV or from a bad streaming transfer as unfortunately it is often the case through Prime, Netflix and so on. But when you got the physical 4K media on disc, even if the master is a 2K intermediate, it will be day and night if you have a good TV cause the improvement HDR10/10+ or Dolby Vision will always bring so much to the movie. Especially with the filmmaker mode from the last LGs generation witch settle automatically the settings intended by the director.
And I don't even mention if you mix it with high category 4K blu ray player (which I am still lacking regarding that) which will bring an other stunning improvement.

My point is I will always pray for a movie like DAY OF RECKONING being released in 4K disc even if it's coming from a 2KDI. This is a personal opinion and experience of my own but the difference is still very impressive.
I think 4K media is not only fit for old movies IMO. :wink:

To be back on the subject (sorry for that), the best would be that they mastered it in 4K but it would likely never happen. :(

By the way, below an other sequence from the same guy on Youtube with his suspicious 4K label on it :

lhz

Postby Jox on 07 Mar 2022, 01:02

I got what you're saying, and I surely don't have any personal experience with 4K UHD Blu-rays other than what I've read and heard.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 25 Apr 2022, 16:53

UNISOL4 made Vulture's list of "The 101 Best Movie Sequels of All Time" 8)
https://www.vulture.com/article/the-101 ... -time.html
92. Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning (John Hyams, 2012)

The original Universal Soldier, a pretty schlocky 1992 Jean Claude Van Damme-Dolph Lundgren team-up that was directed by future disasteur Roland Emmerich, initially gave rise to a series of fly-by-night sequels that are all but forgotten today. Years later, however, director John Hyams got his hands on the franchise and created a couple of surreal, low-budget action thrillers that don’t seem to have anything to do with the original films, aside from the presence of the aforementioned stars. This is the second of Hyams’s efforts, and it’s probably the closest thing we’ll ever get to a Michael Haneke-David Lynch-Rowdy Herrington collaboration. The great Scott Adkins plays a grieving man on a Heart of Darkness–style journey to find super soldier-turned-terrorist Luc Devereaux (Van Damme), who now seems to be more eternal spirit of evil than man. Gorgeous, perplexing, and — when it bursts into violence — heart-stoppingly intense, with fight scenes that are choreographed and filmed with unnatural fluidity. This might be the only case in history of a franchise that was utterly moribund right from the get-go and yet somehow managed to produce a masterpiece with its … [checks notes, does a series of quick calculations]… sixth installment? —B.E.

(Damn, we we're approaching the 10th anniversary of its release...! :o )
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 28 Aug 2022, 14:12

Along with the likes of Only God Forgives and Enemy, Day of Reckoning is part of the cinematic subgenre of what I would call 'Masculinity as a Metaphysical Prison of Horrors', generally depicting the dark side of the masculine psyche through abstract, metaphorical, and often Freudian scenes and images, often using horror movie conventions to convey their intent.

https://letterboxd.com/dominichart/film ... reckoning/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 14 Sep 2022, 12:41

Screening at the Oldenburg Filmfest September 16 as part of Peter Hyams + John Hyams retrospective
https://www.filmfest-oldenburg.de/en/fi ... -reckoning

Father-Son Directors Peter and John Hyams Get Joint Retrospective at Oldenburg Film Festival
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235205702/

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 19 Sep 2022, 11:28

Screening September 29 and October 10 at the Alamo Winchester, VA
https://drafthouse.com/winchester/event ... nId=165966
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 23 Sep 2022, 18:51

Underrated Movies from the Masters of Action Cinema by Tom
https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2022/09/ ... on-cinema/
Scott Adkins – Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning

You might claim this could be a selection for Lundgren and Van Damme, however, both have smaller though significant parts in the film. This was a big step out of the comfort zone of Scott Adkins in John Hyams’ dark, twisted and cerebral masterwork. Adkins, known for his physical feats and jaw-dropping martial arts moves was surging in popularity thanks to Boyka and an array of martial arts-infused action films. Day of Reckoning effectively retcons a franchise that has become something of an unexpectedly long-running series. If Hyams shook the tree in Regeneration, he chopped it down, carved a pipe from it and went PCP wild to conjure this nightmarish melting pot of influences.

From Noe, to Kubrick, Lynch, Refn and Cronenberg by way of Gareth Evans, this is a fusion of horror, thriller, mystery and action with a barely connected strand to the original film. It was bound to alienate fans and audiences alike, just as much as it might allure cinephiles with a taste for the strange and compellingly unique. Opening existential questions whilst delivering furious fight scenes, Hyams’s film caught the high of some high-end publications and proved more popular with them than the die-hard fans of the comparatively goofy and comical original. It was Adkins’s best performance right up until he did Avengement.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 06 Oct 2022, 09:25

Your Mind Is Not Your Own
The Violent Dream of Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning
https://sawnoffsermon.substack.com/p/yo ... t-your-own

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 02 Nov 2022, 22:36

10th anniversary screening at London's Prince Charles Cinema on November 24
https://princecharlescinema.com/PrinceC ... sons?e=623

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 25 Nov 2022, 09:29

@animus_mag
About 2/3 of the people who came to see UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: DAY OF RECKONING @ThePCCLondon tonight had never seen it. They took a chance on an action franchise (DTV) sequel, on a weekday. That’s the @animus_mag spirit. Thanks to all who made this a wonderful evening!

Special thanks to @TheScottAdkins for sending an amazing video intro; @jrhyams for his vision and his blessing; @JCVD for sending a few kind words for me to read; @Dolph_Lundgren for being his amazing self. + of course @ThePCCLondon for being the best cinema with the best crowd.

Image Image Image Image

https://twitter.com/animus_mag/status/1 ... 3633936385
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies