"Chuck" Season 4 Episode 1 (Robert Duncan McNeil, 2010, TV)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Guest role on "Chuck"

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 21 Sep 2010, 07:08

I could see that. He did have that type of face that was a weee bit too "perfect" back then which I'm sure lost him some roles... along with his height (which back then was a big deal) and being typecasted as Russian or i.e. dumb (as if those two are synonomous.. gotta love Hollywood).

He definitely needs to spread out his stuff though... I think he has a great look for leadership type roles in film and T.V. now... like a general or king type of deal plus the physicality to pull it off. I'd love to see him in a period piece even if it's not based in Sweden like he desires.

It might be a stretch and I know he's not in the same league acting wise... but I'd love for DL to go down a Liam Neeson type route with his career... Liam is 400x more serious in most of his roles, but I think DL could easily pull of a Neeson-like role in future projects... he just needs someone to give him the opportunity.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby Moltisanti on 21 Sep 2010, 08:09

First time I've seen Chuck and it's just not my cup of tea. Not really funny enough to work as a comedy and the action isn't staged well enough to generate much excitement.

Always cool to see Dolph and having him share a scene with Linda Hamilton was somewhat satisfying, but that's about all I got out of the show.

With any luck Lundgren might get a guest spot on a show that could offer him a role with a bit more meat. He'd do real well on something like Sons of Anarchy or Justified.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 21 Sep 2010, 09:38

Moltisanti wrote:First time I've seen Chuck and it's just not my cup of tea. Not really funny enough to work as a comedy and the action isn't staged well enough to generate much excitement.

Yeah for sure this isn't the best thing on TV these days, generic mainstream geeky wannabe stuff. Thankfully he's not a guest for the whole season.

it’s good to see Linda Hamilton kicking some ass again and Dolph Lundgren and Olivia Munn certainly added to the fun.

http://www.collider.com/2010/09/20/chuc ... niversary/

Dolph Lundgren as an enforcer makes for a nice bit of geek casting, but as expected the other stars don't offer anything besides attention-grabbing headlines. Linda Hamilton can hardly be faulted for not making much out of the limited material she has, but Olivia Munn's Greta and Harry Dean Stanton's repo man add virtually nothing to the proceedings.

http://www.ugo.com/tv/chuck-vs-the-anniversary-recap
Jox
Site Admin

Postby riotgirl77 on 21 Sep 2010, 20:16

Moltisanti wrote:First time I've seen Chuck and it's just not my cup of tea. Not really funny enough to work as a comedy and the action isn't staged well enough to generate much excitement.

Always cool to see Dolph and having him share a scene with Linda Hamilton was somewhat satisfying, but that's about all I got out of the show.

With any luck Lundgren might get a guest spot on a show that could offer him a role with a bit more meat. He'd do real well on something like Sons of Anarchy or Justified.

In MOST Chuck episodes, there are good action scenes for example

Last night's didn't have any :(, I was hoping for a fight scenebetween Dolph and Adam (hell tweeted to Josh Schwartz I wanted one...so did others!). I was thinking about Dolph being on Sons of Anarchy...its pretty good show with decent action, but not sure if Kurt Sutter would go for it. I don't know....
Last edited by riotgirl77 on 21 Sep 2010, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
riotgirl77

Postby riotgirl77 on 21 Sep 2010, 20:51

I found the quote! From http://www.dolph-ultimate.com/articles/article7.html

"I have to work on my craft. I haven't really had any formal training," he reveals exclusively. "I think that my best work's still to come in the years ahead, when I get a little more mature in my face. Scandinavian looks make you appear much younger than your are. In any case, I think most male movie stars do their best work in their 40s -look at Harrison Ford and Sean Connery- because by then they're real men." (Alas, this is an argument with which we, the ageing and unsuccessful, are all too familiar, but Ford was 35 when he appeared in Star Wars, while Connery was 31 when he took his first Bond role in Dr. No.)

GeneralMcFaiL wrote:I could see that. He did have that type of face that was a weee bit too "perfect" back then which I'm sure lost him some roles... along with his height (which back then was a big deal) and being typecasted as Russian or i.e. dumb (as if those two are synonomous.. gotta love Hollywood).

I have to agree he did have a "babyface" (which I find cute actually :) ) and a beefcake body back then etc. and it probably limited his opportunities..

He definitely needs to spread out his stuff though... I think he has a great look for leadership type roles in film and T.V. now... like a general or king type of deal plus the physicality to pull it off. I'd love to see him in a period piece even if it's not based in Sweden like he desires.

He MOST DEFINITELY needs to spread out to film AND TV...like I said in my intro post, it's been a WHILE since I've seen his old stuff and still checking out his new ones. I was just so blown away by his performance in The Expendables (even though it was a small part). And after watching him in there, I thought to myself "damn, Dolph what the hell have you been up to?" lol. BTW did Blackjack really have potential to be a USA Network show? Well USA Network now.
Last edited by riotgirl77 on 23 Sep 2010, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.
riotgirl77

Postby MikeR on 21 Sep 2010, 21:31

Chuck was a blast - but what a shame we didn't get to see him go up against Adam Baldwin.

[slight spoilerism ahead]

I'm kind of hoping that shot wasn't fatal and the dastardly Volkoff Industries will use their high technology to bring him back - just think, a muscular cyborg with a thick European accent chasing Linda Hamilton... sounds familiar somehow ;)

M.
MikeR

Postby riotgirl77 on 21 Sep 2010, 22:48

MikeR wrote:Chuck was a blast - but what a shame we didn't get to see him go up against Adam Baldwin.

[slight spoilerism ahead]

I'm kind of hoping that shot wasn't fatal and the dastardly Volkoff Industries will use their high technology to bring him back - just think, a muscular cyborg with a thick European accent chasing Linda Hamilton... sounds familiar somehow ;)

M.

Dude, I am SOOOOOOOO hoping for that :) Tweet to Josh Schwartz you want that fight! He's at http://www.twitter.com/joshschwartz76 use the hashtag #dolphlundgrensnotdead
riotgirl77

Postby Kasper F. Nielsen on 21 Sep 2010, 22:52

I guess humor really is a subjective thing, as you guys couldn't be more wrong than you are: Chuck is hilarious and is definitely one of the best things on TV currently. Go home nay-sayers and watch some re-runs of Friends or Step by Step :wink:
Kasper F. Nielsen

Postby MikeR on 22 Sep 2010, 00:11

riotgirl77 wrote:
Dude, I am SOOOOOOOO hoping for that :) Tweet to Josh Schwartz you want that fight! He's at http://www.twitter.com/joshschwartz76 use the hashtag #dolphlundgrensnotdead

LOL! I'm not a member of the twitterati, so feel free to submit it to Josh. Of course we'll have to discuss my percentage later ;)

M.
MikeR

Postby Jox on 22 Sep 2010, 09:35

Also in this guest star-heavy premiere was the always awesome Dolph Lundgren, Olivia Munn, and Harry Dean Stanton. Dolph Lundgren in particular was a stand-out. Despite the few lines he had, he still showed fine presence as the "bad guy of the week" with connections to Chuck's Mom.

Dolph Lundgren and his charismatically brutish snarl wasn't used nearly enough. That man should be in more stuff.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 23 Sep 2010, 00:32

Where did those quotes come from Jox?
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby Jox on 23 Sep 2010, 00:34

Oh shoot! Guess I forgot to paste the URLs sorry, gotta find them back..

riotgirl77 wrote:I found the quote! From http://www.dolph-ultimate.com/articles/article7.html

"I have to work on my craft. I haven't really had any formal training," he reveals exclusively. "I think that my best work's still to come in the years ahead, when I get a little more mature in my face. Scandinavian looks make you appear much younger than your are. In any case, I think most male movie stars do their best work in their 40s -look at Harrison Ford and Sean Connery- because by then they're real men." (Alas, this is an argument with which we, the ageing and unsuccessful, are all too familiar, but Ford was 35 when he appeared in Star Wars, while Connery was 31 when he took his first Bond role in Dr. No.)

Yeah I remember saying that a few times in the early and mid-nineties and I expected that as well.

In a way it's like me finally going to be a ladies man in from my 30s onward! :mrgreen: .
Jox
Site Admin

Postby riotgirl77 on 23 Sep 2010, 01:46

I have still yet to "mature" in the face! lol well it could be due to the fact I have Pacific Island/Asian genes (I'm Filipino but born and living in U.S.)

When I recently read that quote by Dolph..I was thinking "Oh my God, he's like Nostredamus or something" since he's back in the public eye again w/ The Expendables, Chuck etc. :)
riotgirl77

Postby Jox on 23 Sep 2010, 02:14

"Chuck vs. The Anniversary" reached 6.06 million viewers and a 2.1/ 6 among adults 18-49.
http://www.chuckonline.net/2010/09/rati ... rsary.html

Jox
Site Admin

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 23 Sep 2010, 03:57

Good for Dolph - but bad for Chuck. 2.1 is a lowww number for a primetime slot on a monday night.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies