THE EXPENDABLES 2 (Simon West, 2012)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE EXPENDABLES II (in development)

Postby mfleming on 25 Feb 2011, 14:25

I really liked the expendables. It is one of those what you call the ultimate guy movie. It’s really testosterone field as what the reviewers say. It did not have much depth on its story line but the action is more than enough to catch your attention. I wonder what additions they are going to add for the sequel. It must be a good movie.
mfleming

Postby udar55 on 08 Mar 2011, 04:40

Here is an interview with Randy Couture from this past weekend's Strikeforce show. He says that THE EXPENDABLES II will start filming in September.

udar55

Postby Krom on 08 Mar 2011, 12:49

This made my day, i was affraid they wont start shooting till 2012, i'm very curious when Stallone's Headshot will start shooting.
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular

Postby Moltisanti on 09 Mar 2011, 05:35

Let the speculation begin...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2011/03/expendables-sequel-sylvester-stallone-bruce-willis-jason-statham-movie.html
EXCLUSIVE: Fans of 'The Expendables" have been clamoring for a sequel since the final round of alter kocker gunfire went off last summer.

Now it looks like they'll get their wish-- but without Sylvester Stallone behind the camera.

The follow-up movie is a priority at producer Millennium Films, where it's being developed by Stallone, the creative force behind the original. But Stallone, who both starred in and directed the 2010 summer hit, isn't, at the moment, planning on helming the new movie. Instead, he's been meeting with directors to tackle the sequel, said a person who was briefed on the project but was not authorized to speak about it publicly.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby MacGyver on 09 Mar 2011, 06:20

I really don't blame him. To be the star, writer and director is a lot to take on. Hopefully they'll hire an old school action director like John Mctiernan or Renny Harlen.
MacGyver

Postby Moltisanti on 09 Mar 2011, 07:44

McTiernan I could get on board with, but I don't know his current legal status. No way on Harlen. Enjoy a lot of his films but 12 ROUNDS was it for me.

Dream choice would be for Sly to get John Woo to sign on, but it's more likely Stallone will hire someone who he can, for lack of a better word, control during the production.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 09 Mar 2011, 10:38

Surprising
Jox
Site Admin

Postby MFS on 09 Mar 2011, 14:01

Well, that was unexpected. But even though I would have liked to see Stallone give it another try and perhaps improve some of the small mistakes he did with the first one, this opens up a lot of possibilites. Maybe we'll have a Mission: Impossible-situation here, with a new director to every Expendables-sequel, each with a different "vision." Assuming there'll be more than one sequel, of course.

The first names that comes to mind are John Hyams (Unisol: Regeneration) and Pierre Morel (Taken). I think they'd both do a great job.
MFS

Postby Jox on 09 Mar 2011, 14:17

Also remember that Sly didn't want to direct RAMBO but took over as he didn't director capable enough to his eyes so there's who knows, maybe he says that now, being still burnt out by the first one but will turn 180° again... Also whenever he's not at the helm of a project like this one Sly is still always the one pulling the strings (i.e. most of his 80s movies). In any case I hope he doesn't pick one of those new hot shots directors who think they're cool because they have 1000 CGI effects in one shot edited at 1200 frames a second... Someone like John Hyams would be great.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 09 Mar 2011, 16:10

The writers, Agosto and Kaufman, had pitched a script to MGM in 2008 for $1million called WARDOGS, which was to be an an action comedy in the vein of OCEAN ELEVEN. I bet you the script of TE2 is a new take on this one...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby MacGyver on 09 Mar 2011, 23:45

I'd love to see Woo, but I can't see him agreeing to direct. He's happy in China. No one interferes with his vision. He basically could do whatever he wants. I don't see him coming back to the states anytime soon.
MacGyver

Postby Jox on 10 Mar 2011, 01:12

I don't see Woo taking on THE EXPENDABLES, not only because he'd need total artistic license but also because it wouldn't be his cup of tea, unless there's a major rewrite and something more romantic about it. Woo might be one of the greatest action directors of all time it was never the action, guns or big guys that motivated him.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby MacGyver on 10 Mar 2011, 03:19

JOX, In your opinion what kind of director do you think they'll hire? A named guy, an up and comer like John Hyamn or some complete unknown who has never directed an action flick?
MacGyver

Postby bomaz on 10 Mar 2011, 10:59

Why not Dolph himself ?
I guess it won't be happenning but it would be really interesting.
bomaz

Postby Jox on 10 Mar 2011, 11:30

I would totally love some guy like John Hyams, Isaac Florentine or Dolph even though I doubt this is gonna happen (don't think all financiers would trust them to move from $5-10 million budgets to 100 million). I dunno, I bet Sly will be demanding but I'm still afraid they're gonna get someone like the director of the next Sly movie HEADSHOT or dig another Marcus Nispel or Len Wiseman... Sounds weird not having Sly calling the shots (although he might be from behind like he did on all his 80s movies) on THE EXPENDABLES
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies