THE EXPENDABLES 2 (Simon West, 2012)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE EXPENDABLES II (in development)

Postby Dragonrage on 11 Mar 2011, 03:16

Jox wrote:I don't see Woo taking on THE EXPENDABLES, not only because he'd need total artistic license but also because it wouldn't be his cup of tea, unless there's a major rewrite and something more romantic about it. Woo might be one of the greatest action directors of all time it was never the action, guns or big guys that motivated him.

Well...he did directed kick ass war movie Heroes Shed No Tears, with lots of shooting, guns and explosions, and he still found something "more" in movie...

But in the end...I don't think he would be interested anyway...
Dragonrage

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 11 Mar 2011, 04:08

Please God no over the top directors like Woo or Harlen... I'll take McTiernan any day of the week... give me someone that can put a serious/realistic spin on the action and actually be able to handle all the big personalities on set.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby Warchild on 11 Mar 2011, 23:35

One director i like very much who is actually good in making good movies in any genre who many people have forgotten is Paul Verhoeven. He has a very impressive resume and noone can deny that.

John Woo would be a mistake, he is more of a Hong Kong style director and there are too many characters for him to handle in my opinion.
Warchild
Regular

Postby Jox on 11 Mar 2011, 23:54

Absolutely, though Paul Vehoeven has moved on from making this type of films as well, those of which he made always had a demanding content behind.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Warchild on 12 Mar 2011, 00:07

Maybe Sly can bring him back from retirement 8) maybe james cameron then, :cry:
Warchild
Regular

Postby MacGyver on 12 Mar 2011, 08:59

I'd love to see Andrew Davis get the gig. This guys is the best at getting the most out of his actors. He is the only guy to make Seagal and Norris look like real actors. Plus he's a great at shooting action the old school way.
MacGyver

Postby Jox on 12 Mar 2011, 17:33

Good article from Vern:
http://outlawvern.com/2011/03/11/expend ... committee/

excerpt:
1. JOHN HYAMS

Yeah, you knew that would be my choice, and Sternshein already said it in a comment thread. But the director of UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: REGENERATION would be the perfect man to elevate the EXPENDABLES series. In that superb sequel he executed thrilling action scenes in a style similar to the fake-documentary one that Stallone tried to do in his part 1, but he made them completely comprehensible. Hyams worked with Expendable Dolph Lundgren and potential part 2 cast member Van Damme, and not only knew how to showcase their acting and fighting skills but knew how to use their age as an advantage. So many movies try to polish the stars and pretend they’re younger then they are, but even with them playing clones Hyams was able to use the lines on their faces and exhaustion in their eyes to enhance their characters.

In part 1 Stallone tried to expand the viewership beyond ’80s action fans by bringing in UFC legend Randy Couture. Well, here’s a director who has become somewhat of an expert in MMA competition because of his great documentary THE SMASHING MACHINE. That knowledge helped him to get great fight scenes and villainy out of Andrei Arlovsky.

Hyams also knows alot about bodily harm due to his work on the excellent bullriding documentary RANK.

2. JOHN MILIUS

How ’bout this for a McTiernan backup? True, he’s less known as a director than a writer, but he did give Schwarzenegger one of his second most iconic role (CONAN THE BARBARIAN) and would probly be the very best director to bring out the macho in this cast. He’s into the mercenary nuts and he’d be suggesting all kinds of crazy weapons and everything. And he’s had a hand in multiple eras and segments of macho: great ’70s achievements like APOCALYPSE NOW and that speech in JAWS, Reagan era stuff like CONAN, UNCOMMON VALOR and RED DAWN, in the ’90s he was involved in the creation of the original Ultimate Fighting Championship, and in the 2000s he created ROME (the TV show, not the city). Bringing a guy like this in might be a good balance to the script by some dude who wrote IN THE ARMY NOW. Also he’s worked with Nick Nolte, who I’d like to see in part 2.

3. ISAAC FLORENTINE

Of course I gotta have Florentine on the list. Stallone might not be as into him since his biggest strength is in martial arts, but I think he’d do great. He has done plenty of explosions and vehicle action in movies like SPECIAL FORCES, though he’s admitted that that’s not really his passion, he just puts those in for the producers. But I think if you look at his best movies you can see his skills in working with actors and making them look tough. Scott Adkins, for example, is a very clean cut handsome dude who makes sense as a stunt double for Ryan Reynolds, but Florentine made him convincingly menacing and dirty as Boyka in the UNDISPUTED sequels. And this is another guy who has worked with Dolph and Van Damme and plenty of action stars that could work well in part 2. (I guess his experience with Gary Daniels doesn’t count for nuts though considering the fate of that character.)

4. CRAIG R. BAXLEY

Unfortunately I gotta put Baxley low on the list since he’s been doing sci-fi TV business for years now and has been away from the explosive style of the STONE COLD and ACTION JACKSON days. But I didn’t know he did an episode of “Human Target.” I heard that was a cool show. I should check that out.

Here’s a guy who was stunt coordinator on THE WARRIORS, second unit director on PREDATOR, he directed Dolph in I COME IN PEACE, and he’s from a whole family of stuntmen. I shouldn’t worry. Being around these guys and shooting for the big screen I think he’d get the eye of the tiger and go for broke.

5. Julie Taymor seems to be available.

Okay, that’s not really something I can picture. But if we’re talking fantasy league like the other sights I would have to throw Paul Verhoeven on the list. Maybe Arnold could get him nostalgic about the TOTAL RECALL days and talk him into it. He would make a movie that made RAMBO seem peaceful and reasonable, and Stallone would be totally into it. For Verhoeven it would be sarcastic, for Stallone it would be sincere, and both would be kinda right.

THE DO NOT CALL LIST - Directors I pray don’t get it due to their sloppy, incomprehensible action scenes:

Simon West, Nevildine/Taylor, Neil Marshall, the Texas Chainsaw remake guy, etc.

Remember, if a list of possible directors gets leaked it’s always the worst guy on the list that gets it. Call it the best picture principle.

P.S. Although we don’t know how far along these meetings are I sincerely think it could help for everybody to make suggestions to Stallone in Ain’t It Cool talkbacks and on Stallone’s Twitter feed. If you watched the talkbacks during the casting of THE EXPENDABLES you saw that almost everybody that was discussed ended up being approached for the movie, including people that turned it down like Kurt Russell, Van Damme, Seagal and Scott Adkins. Stallone is eager to please.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 12 Mar 2011, 20:52

Disagree about putting Neil Marshall on the "Do not call" list. Between DOG SOLDIERS and DOOMSDAY he's proven himself capable and would love to see that sort of energy let loose for an EXPENDABLES sequel.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 13 Mar 2011, 11:42

Wow some great suggestions... 80's Verh. would have been f***ing fantastic! But, like a previous poster said he's not done anything like his old stuff in a very long time. Andrew Davis is another great idea along with Milius... although I don't think Milius has been in the game for a while now... almost blacklisted to an extent.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby Jox on 16 Mar 2011, 15:18

J: Recently some footage surfaced of you and Stallone in Mexico. Internet speculation was that you were location scouting for ‘Expendables 2′. Can you comment on this?

DL: Ya, we were scouting a couple of locations, but I don’t think it will be shot there for whatever reasons. Though It will be filmed on multiple locations in France, China, and Ukraine. I’m not 100% sure when it will happen because Stallone is doing a couple of movies and I have a few other movies, but I’ll find out in the next couple of weeks.

http://moviemavericks.com/2011/03/inter ... -lundgren/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby MFS on 24 Mar 2011, 17:52

France, China, Ukraine? That sounds like big scale movie-making! Awesome! :D And I like how Dolph comes along with Sly during the location scouting, maybe he's gonna let Dolph direct the second unit or something? I know, not likely, but still an exciting thought ...
MFS

Postby Jox on 01 Apr 2011, 22:06

http://kbrocking.com/2011/04/01/thought ... -director/
Thought: More on why Dolph Lundgren could possibly be the next “Expendables” director…

So I wrote that Dolph could possibly be Sly’s replacement as director for, “The Expendables” sequel. If you want to know why Dolph would make a great choice for the director of the next film, I can think of more reasons why.

Dolph has more experience directing action movies than Sly – Dolph has more experience directing action movies. They all may have been direct to DVD flicks but that doesn’t mean they are bad films. Some of Dolph’s movies are actually pretty good as I actually thought “Command Performance” was a great film. Look at Dolph’s directorial filmography. They are mostly action movies.
Dolph can make the next Expendables flick more violent and action packed – If you’ve seen Dolph’s directed films, they are so violent, brutal and graphic. Dolph knows about fighting and violence than anybody else, so he can put on quite the great action movie here. He would put an old school feel to it too.
Dolph knows Sly’s directing style – Dolph have witnessed Sly direct with “Rocky IV” and the first “Expendables” movie. I’m sure Dolph has been taking lessons from Sly for his own directing. He would make the “Expendables” sequel similar to Sly’s style but would put his own original spin to it too.
Dolph being director would help give the film more publicity – If any other action film maker such as Robert Rodriguez or who ever else did this film instead, then the public wouldn’t care about this film as much. “The Expendables” goal is to have a movie full of action stars in one film, they will probably do the same with the director for the next film. Have a big name, direct it. If Dolph directed the next movie, it would help get more people interested.
Sly would want to return the favor to Dolph – Like I said before, Sly directed Dolph two times in films. Sly would want to pass the torch, return the help to a longtime friend. Sly would probably recommend Lionsgates to hire Dolph as director.

There you have it. I can’t see no other director making the next “Expendables” sequel. Dolph is the only one worth making the movie, in my opinion. Sure Dolph made straight to DVD stuff but that doesn’t mean he’s a terrible director. Have you even seen Dolph’s straight to DVD work? You should really check ‘em out.

Dolph directing the next “Expendables” flick, would be a big screen opportunity for him and he would get recognized as a director more, too. I really hope Sly and Liosngates give him this opportunity. If they don’t, it would be a huge mistake.

Kev
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 03 Apr 2011, 22:10

BTW I'm just now watching Through The Night with Cynthia Rothrock and Richard Norton. Very nice!
Mosquito
Site Admin

Re: THE EXPENDABLES 2 (in development)

Postby Jox on 08 Apr 2011, 00:33

So now the word is Stallone is back on to direct THE EXPENDABLES 2. 8)
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies