THE EXPENDABLES 2 (Simon West, 2012)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE EXPENDABLES II (rumored)

Postby Kasper F. Nielsen on 20 Sep 2010, 15:45

GeneralMcFaiL wrote:... but this was a homerun for Lionsgate and my gut feeling is we'll be seeing a TE2 sooner than we all think. For Sly this is almost as big as Rocky in terms of unexpected results... you can tell he's almost overwhelmed by how well the movie was received. Unlike his return to the big screen with Rocky/Rambo this was a completely original and unique concept.

The movie did VERY well for a Lionsgate release, but you should also remember that while it did perhaps four times as well as their movies often do, it also COST four times as much. Your average SAW film costs very little to produce, while The Expendables cost a lot.

Anyway, as you guys are saying, the DVD sales will most likely be quite big - let's hope so at least! It would be awesome to see the movie ready by 2012 and it's quite possible that it will happen if the project gets fast-tracked like Stallone and Lerner is hoping for.
Kasper F. Nielsen

Postby Jox on 20 Sep 2010, 15:58

Lionsgate spent $60 million: $20 million to license the distribution rights + $40 million in marketing. Out of a ticket, half goes to the theater, half goes to the distributor (roughly because they get a bit less actually).The movie made $101 million so far. Lionsgate made $50 million. But don't worry, it's very rare that a movie makes profit its theatrical run these days, especially for big budget movies surprisingly, it takes a long time to actually get some money back (if you don't believe me take a course on film economy).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 20 Sep 2010, 20:26

Don't forget the overseas revenue as well Jox.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby thenamesplisken on 20 Sep 2010, 22:48

right now, Expendables is Lionsgates 2nd biggest hit film. They're a midrange studio and have a 100million$ summer hit...I would think(especially with everyones age involved) they want to get started soon on the sequel...plus, the possibility of Bruce Willis and/or Arnold schwarzenegger signing on for large roles would make the sequel do even bigger business domestically

RAMBO did 40million$$ in dvd sales I would think they dont have much to worry about Expendables!
thenamesplisken

Postby Jox on 21 Sep 2010, 09:26

GeneralMcFaiL wrote:Don't forget the overseas revenue as well Jox.
Of course, but they're going to Lionsgate.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Kasper F. Nielsen on 21 Sep 2010, 22:56

While 50 million is definitely a lot, the risk is also big with things such as The Expendables, where things such as SAW are a little to no risk business. Just look at the original SAW, it cost 1.5 million to make, and domestically it took home over 55 million, and they didn't spend very much to hype it up, so the intake on that isn't on par with Expendables, but is close and is hardly without any risk what-so-ever.
Kasper F. Nielsen

Postby Jox on 26 Sep 2010, 15:13

Sly said he could start on TE2 in March at the earliest, only if everything goes well.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 27 Sep 2010, 01:15

That's pretty darn early in terms of what I was thinking... of course we all know when he says that it's a matter of casting and getting everyone to play nice $$$$.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby Jox on 27 Sep 2010, 09:55

It'll likely be pushed a couple of months so yeah summer filming dates is accurate.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Warchild on 28 Sep 2010, 00:19

Guys like Steven Seagal and Jean Claude would add great hype for the sequel, but the question is, every time a sequel gets made it needs the budget to be bigger, now can names like Seagal and Van damme attract more audience to see The Expendables in the United States?? Can the sequel have a big boxoffice opening like the first it's hard to tell because JC and Seagal r pretty much forgotten in the U.S.
Warchild
Regular

Postby riotgirl77 on 28 Sep 2010, 00:52

You guys think Stallone should bring in some younger guys for the sequel? Well you know to add to the team. Or probably not?
riotgirl77

Postby Kasper F. Nielsen on 28 Sep 2010, 02:34

If Sly wants to attract more people, then Van Damme or Seagal aren't really the answer, as the fans of those are probably the same type of guys that already saw the first one and is going to see the second one. Sly needs to bring in someone that'll attract another audience, like that Twilight guy playing Jacob, he would probably be a good fit as he knows his stuff even though he's from a girly franchise.
Kasper F. Nielsen

Postby riotgirl77 on 28 Sep 2010, 02:41

If Stallone were to bring in some young/new people...I think I'd want either Cam Gigandet or Garrett Hedlund (or both) onboard...
riotgirl77

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 28 Sep 2010, 05:08

I dunno if I like the idea of lesser known guys in this franchise... I like to think this is more a tip of the cap or a wink wink to the 80's and early 90's heroes. No offense to the younger generation, but this is a trip down nostalgia lane for me.

There won't ever be another full blown action era like the 80's - early 90's was.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby riotgirl77 on 28 Sep 2010, 06:16

Maybe have the younger generation actors as the villains or something lol
riotgirl77

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies