IN THE NAME OF THE KING: TWO WORLDS (Uwe Boll, 2011)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: IN THE NAME OF THE KING: TWO WORLDS (Uwe Boll, 2011)

Postby Jox on 22 May 2012, 18:09

The UK edition from Arrow (£5.27 on Amazon) features the two audio commentaries
+ "Renegade Royalty - Making In the Name of the King: Two Worlds with Dolph Lundgren": an interview filmed when they did their RED SCORPION interview.
http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/index.php?t ... 5&art_id=3
http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/index.php?t ... 6&art_id=3
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Craigie-Boy on 24 May 2012, 01:35

I saw this DVD on sale earlier today for £9 and pondered buying it, but I ultimately left it as I really didn't know anything about the film, and I'm not a fan of Boll anyway. Having seen a trailer and read a little about the film, I'm somewhat on the fence about it. On the one hand, I'd like to see it because, well, it's Dolph, and it's got dragons, which are just about the baddest-ass monsters there ever were, and seeing Dolph do something a little different could be interesting. On the other hand..................... Uwe Boll. :D

Would you guys recommend I check it out?
Craigie-Boy
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 24 May 2012, 19:43

Craigie-Boy wrote:Would you guys recommend I check it out?

What kind of question is this on the Dolph f*cking Lundgren (tm dolphage) board? Of course everyone here should check every f*cking Dolph movie, no matter what director or title or setting!

That being said, why skip a movie just because everyone does Boll bashing? I've watched that movie on that island with Til Schweiger and it was a decent game adaption. I've been entertained, no complaints. The Last Warrior is far worse, let me tell you.

Errr... and I didn't watch it yet so I can't tell you if it's good. Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder anyways. I'll watch it as soon as I find time and occasion. I've lost track a bit, haven't seen a few of Dolph's latest movies. But that'll change!
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 24 May 2012, 20:59

Craigie-Boy wrote:Would you guys recommend I check it out?
No. Only because you're one of us hardcore fans. It's not as bad as expected, but it's bad, and sad.
The thing is if Boll and his team wanted to and had a little more taste and ambition, they actually had the means at their disposal (more budget than any solo DL flick in the past 10 years or more, decent technical crew that just needs direction) to make something decent, but so much of it is so lazy, stupid and "what the fuck"...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 24 May 2012, 21:40

I agree. Hard as it is to believe, it did have some potential (which is saying a lot). The budget and special effects are not half bad. It could have been better, but in the end, the performances are all a joke and the plot is pretty convoluted, which it really shouldn't be. Poorly written, poorly directed, and poorly edited.
savagesketch

Postby Nathan on 24 May 2012, 22:08

Didn't want to read this when I'm just about to sit down with my family and watch it in literally ten minutes hahaha, think I'll need one of the cushions to hide my embarrassment. But hey, I might do what I always do and claim its an ironic, black comedy style parody of action/adventure movies. Naaaaah I'll stick with the cushion.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Nathan on 25 May 2012, 17:18

Oh dear, what can I say.

Let's start off with the cinematography since that is an actual positive trait that this movie carries. I know that the budget was more generous than any of Dolph's other recent solo outings but the number of locations were few and far between really, for example. why did the black forrest look the same as the other forrests? Was there any need for the karate studio scene? It was the most expensive and "American" looking scene in the movie, aside from his house, but I didn't feel that the introduction to Dolph's character was particularly neccessary. That said, the actual colours and everything look very good, the costumes looked okay, Dolph's made him look a bit fat and the King's crown looked as if it came from Poundland, but other than that, everything looked okay physically.

Which takes me to the acting. Despite the scenery being pretty nice and very gritty, it's a shame that most of the actors chewed it up and spat it out. It was like, here is a nice canvas for you to paint the rest of the picture on, and instead Uwe Boll has vomitted on it, with all the artistic merit of a dog shit in the park. The acting was as I expected and I could actually see what he was trying to do with the film and with the script and how the two worlds met, especially the differences in dialogue. It was handled very badly though. Dolph had a few good lines and it was the fact that he performed the whole movie with the same smirk that made it that little bit more enjoyable.

Now onto the action. There was a lot less than I was expecting. This was possibly the most disappointing part really, considering it was meant to be an action film, I found myself more entertained during the dialogue scenes in between times. The action was the highlight of the first movie but here the fights are slow, badly filmed, badly edited, atrocious angles, lack any sort of impact, poor choreography, too short, no danger, no decent MA or even sword play from Dolph and the final fight was possibly the most anti-climatic since Diamond Dogs. The dragon had the most interesting fight scene - luckily the CGI wasn't too embarrassing.

Overall I hate slating Dolph movies, but lets not kid outselves, this is no Dolph movie, the blame falls at Uwe's feet and to be honest, a real ewe would have probably made a better job of directing what was an ambitious, perhaps uneccessarily ambitious DTV plot. When will they learn to keep it simple. (No question mark, as its rhetorical.)
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby shooby on 29 May 2012, 10:41

The two In The Name Of The King are broadcasted tonight in France on NRJ12 ;)
shooby

Postby Mosquito on 29 May 2012, 16:18

Nathan, thanks very much for the in-depth review!
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 30 May 2012, 10:52

shooby wrote:The two In The Name Of The King are broadcasted tonight in France on NRJ12 ;)

967 000 viewers, 3,6 % audience / market share...!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 13 Jun 2012, 09:55

In Australia July 20
Image Image
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 23 Jun 2012, 19:59

UK edition back cover
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 25 Jun 2012, 18:26

AV Club reviews Uwe Bolls audio commentary that's on the disc:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/in-the-n ... 2011,81702
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies