IN THE NAME OF THE KING: TWO WORLDS (Uwe Boll, 2011)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Dolph in an Uwe Boll film??? According to Uwe...

Postby Jox on 30 Oct 2010, 21:08

If true that would be a terrible and sad career move though, especially with having more exposure now, D would risk to a laughing stock. If he was advised to do this, then he should know better check out Boll's previous work and reputation (which sometimes he doesn't seem to do, or he probably wouldn't have done a flick directed with Lerner whom he only knew as a producer)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 30 Oct 2010, 21:33

Jox wrote:If true that would be a terrible and sad career move though, especially with having more exposure now, D would risk to a laughing stock. If he was advised to do this, then he should know better check out Boll's previous work and reputation (which sometimes he doesn't seem to do, or he probably wouldn't have done a flick directed with Lerner whom he only knew as a producer)...

I agree wholeheartedly Jox, I know Dolph can't afford to pass up movies with a healthy budget but why does it have to be like this? Why the fuck can't Boll make something normal, he's trying too hard to be original and the way he laughs like it's either a big joke on the producers or totally ingenious, (yes Tom after you mentioned the words "cop" and "ninja" I just had to check it out). Why isn't he just making a cop movie with Dolph? A movie like Exit Wounds for example, fresh and cool and with tonnes of great actors. Surely Boll doesn't think the first movie was actually any good? I smell terrible CGI for the monsters too. Although I agree Tom, on the off-chance this might be really funny, Dolph is a funny guy, especially in that Expendables spoof on Jimmy Kimmel, but with the right script and material of course. Guess we'll see what happens...
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Darling on 31 Oct 2010, 00:05

I will explain once again,Uwe Boll confirmed me today,they will start to shoot this Movie in December in Vancouver and that is the Truth.
I do understand all your Reactions,Boll is not one of the best Director,he is a little bit crazy,some of his Movies are freaked out,like Tarantinos!
I saw also some of Boll`s Movies, a special one was "Siegburg"it was very violent,but based on a true Story.This Movie was great for me!I also think his new Movie "Ausschwitz" will be very,very cruel and also a true Story (come out summer next year)
Here in Germany he do not enjoy the highest Reputation,but a bad Reputation could sometimes be good!The People will not forget him and it is never boring.Why should it be bad for Dolph? What Movies of Dolph came out in theatre in recent Years ?????
Dolph`s Reputation is now very good here in Germany,so why not work with a crazy german Director? Don`t be so pessimitic,give it a Chance :wink:
Darling
Regular

Postby savagesketch on 31 Oct 2010, 02:26

Don't get me wrong, there's a part of me that kinda respects Uwe Boll... He's taken the criticism and bashing he's received over the years and has basically said, "Screw you all... I'll continue making films not matter what you say!!" Plus, he's able to get some relatively decent actors in his films... Statham, Ben Kingsley, Burt Reynolds, Christian Slater, Jurgen Prochnov, Stephen Dorff, to name a few... So the fact that he's apparently gotten Dolph, then he must be a hell of salesman...

But until it's confirmed by Dolph, I won't believe it. I just can't. 2010 has been a great year for Dolph, and I can't imagine him screwing it up by working with Boll. Dolph's a smart guy who I can't imagine isn't familiar with Boll's notorious reputation and resume... Plus the plot just sounds ridiculous... Perhaps it's a huge paycheck for DL... Who knows... But if shooting starts in just a couple of months, we should be getting an announcement from Dolph here soon... which is another reason why it all may be Boll spewing a bunch of crap...
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 31 Oct 2010, 12:43

In movies you never know until cameras are rolling, Boll can say all he wants, that does mean it's gonna happen. Directors and producers can lie too (and better than anyone) you know. It's like the project DOUBLE OR NOTHING back in 2006-2007, I had talked to the producer Bob DeBrino and he was convinced it was happening when Dolph's option on the script had already expired (and was already in prep of MISSIONARY MAN when DeBrino claimed DON would shoot). So I'd wait for a confirmation from Dolph as well. There's other things that don't totally fit: Dolph doesn't really like fantasy and unrealistic stuff and he doesn't really like sequels either, so why would he be interested in a sequel of a film he didn't star in to deal with all that nonsensical plot? It doesn't sound like him. Or the paycheck is huge indeed and somebody in his entourage is crazy enough to convince him it's a good idea...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Darling on 31 Oct 2010, 15:16

At first,why should Uwe Boll lie?He did confirmed it in the Radio-Talk and to me,also.I see no Reason to lie.
I know,Dolph is not a stupid Man and he knows what he do.Since TE ,it seems Dolph get no Offers of great Directors, so maybe he think it will be good to shoot with a Director,who has a famous name in the World.Some People love Boll and some hate him,but he always had Success with his Movies and a lot of great Actors did work with him.
If Dolph will not shoot a Movie this Year,in the next Year there will come out no Movie with him,not in the Theatre and not on DVD,that is very bad!
Ok, let us wait,till Dolph will confirme it,maybe Jox,you can ask him,you get his private E-Mail.I think he will answer you and then we will be happy,when he not confirme it. :D
Darling
Regular

Postby bomaz on 31 Oct 2010, 16:26

The plot seems kinda lame (dolph, a cop, fight with ninjas, get in a vortex, then arrives in the past sometimes after the first ...). I'm not a fan of Uwe Boll, but not a crude despiser. he has an interesting personnality, but i'm not sure it's good for Dolph to do the movie. (inmho).
bomaz

Postby Jox on 31 Oct 2010, 17:59

Darling wrote:At first,why should Uwe Boll lie?He did confirmed it in the Radio-Talk and to me,also.I see no Reason to lie.
There is no reason indeed, except that there has been numerous cases where producers and directors did lie about a star involvement and a filming start date, when it was far from being a done deal. The AFM (American Film Market) starting this week and since Boll has his company doing pre-sells for his films as well he could very well announce it on Dolph's name to get foreign buyers interested.
Ok, let us wait,till Dolph will confirme it,maybe Jox,you can ask him,you get his private E-Mail.I think he will answer you and then we will be happy,when he not confirme it. :D
I just asked him (and abotu what's coming up) actually. :wink:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 01 Nov 2010, 11:02

I have watched only one Boll film so far. That was Far Cry and I actually liked it. Cheapo action, but hey, I've seen much worse in Dolph's filmography. Now I've heard that Darfur is actually really good and a serious movie. I have the imrpression that Boll bashing is a mass sports on the Internet, so although it's not a reason to jump for joy as it would like with "Dolph is starring in a Ridley Scott movie", it is a good thing. As several people pointed out: at least it will give him much exposure. And it might even end up being a good movie.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 01 Nov 2010, 11:15

Can't wait to see how they explain Dolph Lundgren is the son of Jason Statham sent in the future (today) as a cop and then sent back in the past to become the king.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 01 Nov 2010, 12:40

Jox wrote:Can't wait to see how they explain Dolph Lundgren is the son of Jason Statham sent in the future (today) as a cop and then sent back in the past to become the king.

Probably ninjas, zombies and romanian hookers (the answer for everything in Boll universe).
bomaz

Postby Tom on 01 Nov 2010, 14:44

bomaz wrote:
Jox wrote:Can't wait to see how they explain Dolph Lundgren is the son of Jason Statham sent in the future (today) as a cop and then sent back in the past to become the king.

Probably ninjas, zombies and romanian hookers (the answer for everything in Boll universe).

With Dolph Lundgren, no explanation is required! 8)

The plot line is so demented I kinda like it. I'd rather it was someone else, like Seagal, having to lead it, because this could be very embarrassing. But if Dolph pulls it off, the man could come through smelling of roses. It's a tough, tough challenge though.

I would be utterly horrified if he didn't have TE2 to fall back on though.

All I'll say for Boll, is that Dolph has worked with far worse directors during his time. Boll just happens to be a mid level DTV standard director who happens to have been lucky enough to do big profile pictures where his limitations are really accented. He's better at directing than guys like Lerner, Dotan, Kulikowski, Piche, Lee in my opinion. So in this regard I'm hoping it won't be as bad as some of D's lowest works. The script is the sticking point. Storytelling isn't Uwe's strong point. Some of Bolls films have always been too serious. Dungeon Siege was comical for the wrong reasons. Everyone was taking this ridiculous shit so seriously, and with poor actors, it came across as laughable. I'm also not sure on Uwes humour. His outright comedy films were all disasters too.

However a tongue in cheek action film could work. You don't need to be deliver x gags a minute, and the silly moments can work if the hero is in on the gag. I think Dolph could do well in this sort of role. How Ronson was actually supposed to be originally in Diamond Dogs. He was in on the joke and above it.

The only reason I don't suspect this is BS from Boll, is how close it is to shooting. If he was saying "Oh yeah, Dolph is in it" maybe 6 months ago at pre-selling stage, then I wouldn't believe it. But to announce this so soon before filming? If he's lying he'll look a bigger jackass than he ever has done before! Generally too, Boll isn't one to lie. He's totally deluded as to his own ability, but he doesn't lie.

Like every other Lundgren project past, present and future. We gotta take the promising and not so promising, and just hope for the best. To be fair, there've been occasions when a lot was expected and the final product was well below expects, like Last Patrol, Retrograde and Diamond Dogs. There've been times when his films didn't promise much but exceeded expectations like, Defender (sounded old hat and worried about Lundgren coming off bad as director, but he delivered) Mechanik (it was like, yeah, another revenge film, great!) and to a lesser extent Direct Action (Detention sucked and with same cast and crew almost, this was expected to, but was actually not too bad at all).

We'll see anyway. D's gonna be busy though. Perhaps some of the money he's getting paid will be re-invested into Skin Trade. It's probably been a while since Dolph took on a big pay cheque. Expendables, that cast came together for Sly and probably for a lot less than their normal fees. Unisol 3 was a cameo, probably a well paid cameo, but not his leading man rate. His directing gigs wouldn't be his standard fee as lead actor on a film either. Last time was probably Direct Contact, but even so, he also did that to get CP made, and as such it may not have been his normal fee (reputed around $1-2mill a picture 4-5 years ago).
Tom
Regular

Postby Krom on 01 Nov 2010, 17:55

I hate most of his movies, but Tunnel Rats was very very very well done, and his latest Rampage was his most entertaining movie, great done. But i don't like the type of this movie for Dolph.
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular

Postby Tom on 02 Nov 2010, 00:15

Just watched Rampage. It wasn't too bad really. At least it had an original concept, though only because Boll is one of the few directors crazy enough to have had a mass murderer on a rampage as protagonist. There's a decent twist at the end that makes it even more fucked up. The film is either brave or very narcissistic on Boll's part. Still, it's inconsistent and illogical at times. But actually, when it works, it's quite interesting. Boll just goes overboard and loses grip of the material a few times. Unfortunately, though he offers some challenging aspects and gets a good performance from the lead, his portrayal of the police response is just really sloppy and takes away a lot of dramatic impact. It may have been in part down to budget, but I also think Boll doesn't always think every aspect through like he should.

He's not entirely hopeless though. I'm gonna take a few more for the team and watch Tunnel Rats, Darfur, and maybe Far Cry.
Tom
Regular

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 02 Nov 2010, 01:39

Boll just doesn't listen to his critics..... I mean at all. It's like he's somehow managed to work in the comfort of his own dream world and nobody... not even studios have been able to pull him free from it. Considering this is a sequel to a film that bombed I'm guessing that it gets a DVD release. I just hope that Dolph manages to put in a good performance and light the screen up... sometimes an actor is charismatic just enough to save even the most horrible of productions... Dolph has always possessed that ability.

I think the benefit for him now is that with all the press he's done people finally understand he's not just the big dumb blonde russian from Rocky IV. Boll even points this out and this may indeed help him get roles outside of his normal spectrum in the future... heres hoping this happens anyways.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies