ONE IN THE CHAMBER (William Kaufman, 2012)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: ONE IN THE CHAMBER (William Kaufman, 2012)

Postby Jox on 21 Mar 2017, 02:14

William Kaufman interview
Budomate: Cuba Gooding Jr. starred twice in your movies, how does he fit into the action roles?

William: Cuba’s a great actor, he is part of a very elite team of actors that hold the title of Oscar winner. I think that inherently that alone makes him a very unique and unorthodox choice for a leading man in an action film. He worked his tail off for me and was very collaborative. We had a blast working together.

Budomate: In 2012 you worked with Big Swede on One in The Chamber, how was to work with Dolph, I suppose you been his fan like many of us?

William: As a kid I was definitely a fan of Dolph’s. I think The Punisher and I Come In Peace movies we’re really underrated. Dolph is one of those guys that knows exactly what he wants to do and goes and does it.

http://budomate.com/william-kaufman-interview/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 17 Aug 2017, 17:59

The Wonderful World of DTV - The films of director William Kaufman
http://screenanarchy.com/2017/08/the-wo ... ntrib.html
Chad Law has continued to work with Kaufman throughout the director’s career, writing some of his best films. Evan Law still continues to write, but has only worked with Kaufman one other time since, with him doing an un-credited rewrite on One in the Chamber (2012).

Hit List marked the third Kaufman film in a row that Ron Balicki contributed towards, with him doing stunt work on the film as well as having a bit part. Fans of The Prodigy should also keep an eye out for that films star Holt Boggs, who has a small role here.

Both Kaufman and Gooding Jr would reteam the next year on One in the Chamber, with them bringing action legend Dolph Lundgren along for the ride.

Those who were disappointed by the Hit List being more of a thriller than an action film should have no complaints this time round, with there being some well thought out fight scenes and shootouts.

Cuba Gooding Jr is again on lead duties, doing his usual good work. His character, like the Hit List, is another hit man. but one with a stronger moral code. He works in Eastern Europe, being employed by rival gangs to carry out various hits. It isn’t long until a gang war erupts, with another assassin (Dolph Lundgren) being brought in to take care of the situation.

The addition of Dolph Lundgren stands One in the Chamber out from the crowd, with the big Swede giving a fun scene stealing performance as Russian assassin Alexey. With a wardrobe to go with his personality, Dolph makes the most of his memorable character, and it is just a shame that he isn’t given more screen time.

The rest of the supporting cast is made up of the usual reliable faces like Louis Mandylor, Billy Murray and Leo Gregory.

Claudia Bassols plays the only real female role in the film. She is mainly here to make Gooding Jr’s character feel guilty for a past deed until she is used as the usual damsel in distress. Sadly Bassols is the only real sour note, with her acting not up to par with her more experienced co-stars.

A change from previous Kaufman pictures, One in the Chamber wasn’t shot in America, with the majority of the films being filmed in and around Romania. Kaufman works well with cinematographer Mark Rutledge to make the locations look good and have them be a good setting for the films action scenes.

Rutledge had already been cinematographer on Kaufman’s last two films, but One in the Chamber is the standout, possibly due to being shot in Eastern Europe. He would continue to work with the director on his future films such as The Marine 4: Moving Target (2015), Jarhead 3: The Siege (2016) and his upcoming Lazarat (2017).

The script does offer up some interesting characters, especially Dolph Lundgren’s Alexey, even if it isn’t the best script Kaufman has worked from. It may be credited to Benjamin Shahrabani, but the film went through some un-credited rewrites with brothers Chad and Evan Law working on the script as well as Derek Kolstad.

Kolstad would go on to write another Dolph Lundgren feature, Jesse V Johnson’s The Package (2013), but is probably better known now as the writer of the classic John Wick (2014) and its sequel.

After the release of One in the Chamber, it would be another three years until Kaufman would step behind the camera. He would return with The Marine 4: Moving Target which would be the first time the director had made a sequel to another director’s work.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 18 Apr 2018, 00:18

Italian rental DVD cover

Jox
Site Admin

Postby liveyourbestdolph on 03 Jun 2018, 02:37

Spanish language

________
Find me at lonelybrand and endive
liveyourbestdolph

Postby Jox on 03 Jun 2018, 08:21

This cover is custom-made, not official
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 28 Sep 2018, 05:06

This amazes me... Cuba appeared to be going through the motions in this one. He appeared completely bored. Dolph seemed to at least be having some fun with his character.
savagesketch

Postby Nathan on 28 Sep 2018, 11:54

That surprises me too. Cuba is full of energy in an interview yet in most of his recent films he looks like he'd rather be dead. If only he brought some of that energy to the screen.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 28 Sep 2018, 15:53

It seems Cuba Gooding was judging Dolph's attitude rather than his performance, it's Naomi Campbell who said stuff like "he's not an actor" etc. But Cuba sure looks wooden and is part of makes the film very tedious and boring (not in a "good" way) to watch overall...

A couple of years earlier there were plans to have Gooding co-star in either WANTED MAN and/or SKIN TRADE...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 04 Mar 2019, 11:34

Rejected key arts below the final packshot by DesignWorks (see on the right of the image)
http://www.dzynwrx.com/images/Packaging/PKG_12.jpg

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 23 May 2021, 12:22

Writer Derek Kolstad (JOHN WICK, NOBODY) reminisces about Dolph, ONE IN THE CHAMBER, and THE PACKAGE in the BEST MOVIES NEVER MADE podcast (at 16:50)
https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-sw7by-e6f09b7
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/i ... 85089&l=nl
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 22 Aug 2021, 23:07

New episode for the week is here! Doug Greenberg from The Rocky Minute returns to the show once again, this time helping me discuss ONE IN THE CHAMBER! It's Dolph vs. Cuba in Russia and in a pre-John Wick world! Enjoy!

https://imustbreakthispodcast.wordpress ... e-chamber/

As always, please feel free to rate and review the show on iTunes, Stitcher, or wherever else you go to subscribe!
savagesketch

Previous

Return to Dolph's Movies