BATTLE OF THE DAMNED (Christopher Hatton, 2013)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: BATTLE OF THE DAMNED (Christopher Hatton, 2013)

Postby Jox on 09 Feb 2014, 11:14

U.S. Blu-ray review
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Battle-of ... 85/#Review

This release shouldn't catch too much hell.
Imagine if a filmmaker sat down over the course of a day or two and watched Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Escape from New York, and either a Robocop or Terminator movie. Imagine that he then decided to make a low-budget mash-up of all of these movies. There's no doubt the end result would look an awful lot like Battle of the Damned, the latest and, frankly, one of the coolest direct-to-video Action films to come along since the likes of Universal Soldier: Regeneration (also, coincidentally, starring Dolph Lundgren, albeit in a much more limited role). While there's obviously nothing new here -- it's little more than a post-apocalyptic shooter with a name in the lead role and a basic action-framing plot -- the picture satisfies its core requirements and does so with surprisingly decent special effects and precious little nonsense getting in the way of bloody human-on-infected and robot-on-infected mayhem.
When filmmakers create DTV Action films, they should take a cue from Battle of the Damned. It's far from perfect, but in a genre that's become a home for murky, brooding movies with unnecessarily complex plots and way too many characters, Battle of the Damned proves largely refreshing, still packing in just a little bit too much exposition and a little too little action, but it comes closer than many of its peers at building a more fundamentally satisfying Action experience. It features the requisite jerky handheld camera, a fair bit of raw gunplay, a moderate amount of gore, and a large amount of blood (mostly caked on the so-called "infected" and, then, the robots that kill the infected). Aside from a rather slow expository middle stretch packed with a bit too much plotting and characterization, but not to overkill, the film showcases plenty of violence in a classic brawn-over-brains sort of way, allowing core action elements to propel the movie and get the audience's adrenaline pumping just enough to leave it on-edge for the next battle.

At its budget, Battle of the Damned really impresses. The film lacks the scope of even the midlevel 1980s Action films to which this one harks back, but that's an understandable compromise. The film doesn't elicit much of a wasteland, end-of-days feel, either, substituting empty, mostly motionless backgrounds for a true sense of destruction and hopelessness. Yet it works in context, anyway, particularly if audiences gear up for a lower-end experience and keep expectations in check. In those places where the film does spend a little money, the results pay off in spades. Costuming is excellent for a budget film, as are the various gore and infected makeup effects. The key lies with the robots, however, and even as they sometimes move about the stage with an obvious clumsiness, they look far better than expected and are certainly a large step up in believability from the ultra low-end stuff SyFy and Asylum continue to produce. In fact, some of the models used in close-ups look downright terrific for budget creations. Lastly, the cast is rather strong. Lundgren impresses as usual. Give him props for refusing to phone in his DTV performances and, better, to pick and choose amongst the better projects rather than settling for reputation-harming dreck. Even as he's largely been relegated to DTV land, he still gives his most and commands the screen with a legitimate presence and skill rather than a name and face alone.

Video Quality 4/5
Battle of the Damned features a modern genre-standard high definition transfer. The HD video source material is rather clean and precisely detailed. The image captures all of the basics with the expectedly high level of precision, from faces to the textured military-style gear Max and his men wear in the film. Likewise, backgrounds reveal even, discernible small details, though the lack of a real sense of a crumbling civilization means less in the way of raw, jagged textures to enjoy. Image clarity is consistent, as is sharpness. Colors are drained to favor a cold, gray overlay. The image rarely finds a splash of bright, vibrant colors, but skin textures, hair, and blood are nicely contrasted against that darker backdrop. Black levels give no cause for concern, nor do flesh tones. The picture sees a hint of banding and noise here and there, but not enough to cause a distraction. This is a fundamentally sound presentation from Anchor Bay.

Audio Quality 4/5
Like its video counterpart, Battle of the Damned's Dolby TrueHD 5.1 lossless soundtrack serves the material well. Anchor Bay's latest lossless presentation provides authoritative music and gunfire, which comprise the bulk of the track's needs. Music is delivered efficiently and accurately, falling into place across the front and enveloping the listener with a healthy surround support. Gunfire hits hard and proves effective at pushing the action forward with punishing volume and intensity. Additional scattered effects impress, too, whether a blaring car horn heard early in the film or the rush of infected plowing through the soundstage on a few occasions. Dialogue plays firmly and clearly from the center. This is a rather basic but nevertheless charged-up soundtrack that's the quintessential listen for the modern DTV Action flick.

Special Features and Extras 0.5 of 5
Battle of the Damned contains only one supplement. Battling the Damned (HD, 6:40) features several minutes of raw on-location footage.

Overall Score and Recommendation 2.5 of 5
Battle of the Damned is an imperfect movie in an imperfect direct-to-video marketplace, but it's significantly better than most, an honest action-first entertainer with solid visual effects and a good lead performance from Dolph Lundgren. Genre fans shouldn't expect miracles, but they should expect an honest effort and a fun watch out of a movie that may remind longtime fans of DTV Action flicks of a good little film from the 1990s titled A.P.E.X. Anchor Bay's Blu-ray release of Battle of the Damned features solid video and strong audio. Unfortunately, only one supplement is included. Recommended to DTV Action fans.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 13 Feb 2014, 15:46

http://theactionelite.com/2014/02/the-a ... your-vote/
BOTD and Dolph are in various categories ;)
bomaz

Postby Jox on 13 Feb 2014, 22:12

Well, the guy who runs the site is a Dolph-fan.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 18 Feb 2014, 11:11

http://www.examiner.com/review/dolph-lu ... ed?cid=rss

Anchor Bay's Battle of the Damned (Blu-ray) delivers about what you would expect: the 1080p transfer looks very good, despite the film's washed-out, shot-on-digital appearance. Detail is present throughout, and while the HD transfer is slightly less forgiving of some of the CG robot effects, the film generally looks more expensive than its small budget would suggest. The TrueHD 5.1 audio track is also impressive, seeing as its tasked more with providing action effects and score than with dialogue, as the movie is light on conversation. Sadly, the only bonus feature included is some behind-the-scenes footage, barely cut together in any presentable way.

The DTV action market is so overcrowded with generic, hit-or-miss fare that something even remotely ambitious like Battle of the Damned falls just this side of "ok." Some decent special effects and the presence of Dolph Lundgren make it watchable, though it's mostly for non-discerning genre fans. Horror fans looking for a zombie movie fix will be disappointed. All that's left is us DTV action fans who have seen enough garbage to find this one enough of a change of pace to be passable. Yes, it rips off The Walking Dead. But The Walking Dead doesn't have Dolph Lundgren. Or robots.

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/battl ... bluray.php
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 18 Feb 2014, 23:16

One of my biggest complaints is that they shouldn't have desaturated the colors of the film and kept more contrasting and classic tones:

official still photo:
http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2014/02/07/e ... undgren-03
http://www.geeksofdoom.com/GoD/img/2014 ... ren-03.jpg

screen capture:
http://images4.static-bluray.com/review ... _large.jpg
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 19 Feb 2014, 00:30

Jox wrote:One of my biggest complaints is that they shouldn't have desaturated the colors of the film and kept more contrasting and classic tones:

Could be. The stills you posted look a lot better with a more saturated look, but possibly it would have given the film a less dreary, drab vibe about it. I don't know.

Maybe they felt that desaturating the colors could help hide the low budget as well.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 19 Feb 2014, 01:22

Wether it's in this one or in so many movies (big and small) these past 15 years (since THE MATRIX pretty much), I hate depressing desaturated / monochromic looks. I need to see some real colors unless it's a black and white film.

Of course in one hand it does hide the low budget but in another it points it out even more.
With these grayish costumes and the bloody infested/zombies, this high contrast would have worked for me:

Verns review
http://www.outlawvern.com/2014/02/18/ba ... he-damned/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 19 Feb 2014, 07:26

This one came up just a little bit short for me. Starts good and I dug the robots toward the end but the middle hour just has so little of interest going on. Doesn't help that I'm real tired of zombies.

Wouldn't say it's outright bad, but it's also not one I'm likely to have in my collection anytime soon.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby savagesketch on 20 Feb 2014, 17:26

This was about what I expected... It's a notch above any of the Asylum pictures, which is a definite plus. It's also directed well. Christopher Hatton makes great use of the limted budget and employs a few tricks to hide what little budget there was (one of which being the shaky-cam aspect during the chase and fight scenes).

The problem is that everything else is so ho-hum. We're thrown into this world that has been quarantined for really no explanation, other than a few sentences at the beginning. Countless zombies swarm about, and we aren't really given any explanation for the disease. Granted, I realize it's a zombie film, but give us something. Of course, that could also be due to the low-budget.

Besides Dolph, every other character is so boring. The second act drags on with characters who you don't care about ((hard to believe for an 89-minute movie). Dolph's character is fun though... although there are a few shots of him running where it's hard not to laugh. Is he still suffering from a knee injury?
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 20 Feb 2014, 17:42

Seems I'm the only one who thought the secondary characters and subplots were better and more enjoyable than usual for the most part. :lol:

savagesketch wrote: although there are a few shots of him running where it's hard not to laugh. Is he still suffering from a knee injury?

Jeff Pruitt (the stunt coordinator and one of his teammates at the beginning):
Budomate: Your latest movie is Battle of the Damned with Dolph Lundgren, how was it to work with a Big Swede? Don’t you think zombie topic is a closed issue like vampires and gods?

Jeff: If you see the movie you may notice that for the first 10 minutes or so Dolph and I are jogging all over town. At the time his ankles were killing him from a previous movie and my knees were killing me. I just remember him looking at me and saying, “No need to sprint here. Just go slow.” And I thought, “Thank God he wants to jog slow because I couldn’t sprint right now if my life depended on it.”

http://www.budomate.com/jeff-pruitt-exc ... interview/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 21 Feb 2014, 11:12

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/66259?ut ... 1310_RSS#7
Let’s face it: BATTLE OF THE DAMNED is a big dumb action movie. There are lots of guys shooting guns, zombies running after people, robot CGI, and ‘splosions galore. And though the plot isn’t the most brainy, it is damn fun. Writer/director Christopher Hatton does a decent job of getting Dolph—I mean, MAX GATLING--into this situation between the zombies and robots, and that’s really all I’m looking for. While it isn’t believable by a long shot, Hatton seems to have enough talent to at least logically set the pieces up before bashing them into one another.

That said, there are some really well-done moments of suspense and scare here, mostly occurring when a person is trying to get past something that looks like a lifeless corpse and turns out to be a zombie. There are also some fun moments between Dolph and a squadron of robots he learns how to command. Are these knee-slappers that’ll have you limping? No, but they’re fun breaks into tension that won’t make you groan too much.

Some quality action, decent CG robots, good-looking zombie makeup, and Dolph doing what Dolph does best, i.e. grunting out lines, shooting big guns, and kicking zombies in the face with those giant boots of his. Between shitty SyFy movie of the week action and A-grade material, BATTLE OF THE DAMNED falls comfortably in between.
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies