LEGENDARY (Eric Styles, 2013)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: LEGENDARY (Eric Styles, 2013)

Postby Tom on 01 Mar 2014, 13:50

Good music. It would be good if Dolph could get PLM back to do Skin Trade.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 02 Mar 2014, 13:46

The CD could be out in May, which I suspect might be when it's released in the States.

I hear LEGENDARY might come out theatrically about 10 cities in the U.S. (like JCVD's WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE and ENEMIES CLOSER).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby TEMIRLAN on 02 Mar 2014, 18:27

Jox wrote:The CD could be out in May, which I suspect might be when it's released in the States.

I hear LEGENDARY might come out theatrically about 10 cities in the U.S. (like JCVD's WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE and ENEMIES CLOSER).

That's nice news.
TEMIRLAN

Postby Jox on 03 Mar 2014, 19:52

Small talk with director Eric Styles
The British director on his new film Legendary: Tomb of the Dragon

One of only a handful of UK-China co-productions over the past 20 years, Legendary: Tomb of the Dragon is an unabashed B-movie romp. Made on a modest budget of 12 million USD, the family action adventure tale follows a dashing cryptozoologist (think Indiana Jones, without the hat) who finds himself in a remote village in pursuit of a Predator-like creature from Chinese folklore. Time is ticking, as the evil schemes of a nefarious rival spell doom for both our handsome hero and the not-so-handsome creature. Can the Chinese co-production bring back the B-movie and topple the monopoly of same-y Hollywood blockbusters? Time Out talks to Eric Styles, the British director of Legendary

How did the opportunity to make Legendary as a UK/China co-production come about?
We had originally planned to shoot in the USA, but when that didn’t work out, the producers decided to look at China as a key component of the film. The setting was changed to a lake in China, and we then worked with SARFT [the State Administration for Radio, Film and Television] and the Chinese producers to make sure the new script reflected a plausible experience in China. This included writing new Chinese characters, and changing some story points. I think the film works better in China than it would have in the USA.

Why’s that?
I think in essence, the message of the film is culturally relevant [to China]. It’s about man’s attitude towards nature and his fellow creatures. You can choose to live alongside all creatures in harmony and respect, or you can choose to exploit man’s apparent superiority and treat other living things as commodities. I think this main theme of the benefits of conservation and respect will resonate with a Chinese audience.

What was the biggest challenge of shooting in China?
Coming from the tiny country of Wales, which only has a population of three million people, getting used to the scale of China was the most profound thing. [China] is huge, so diverse and magical, it almost becomes overwhelming. I suppose one of the biggest challenges for me was working with our Chinese cast, who spoke varying amounts of English. You want to have a very direct relationship with your actors and directing through a translator can be hard. But they all did a wonderful job. We finished very comfortably on schedule, which I gather doesn’t happen on every film in China.

How does a more modestly budgeted film like Legendary compete with blockbusters from Hollywood?
The US studios are very interested in making big summer tent-pole movies, because when they work they generate an enormous amount of money. Unfortunately, the studios can’t really predict what will work and what won’t – for example, John Carter [a sci-fi film that cost Disney 250 million USD to make, but only grossed 70 million USD at the US box office]. Legendary is a much more modest film in terms of resources, but we’ve worked hard trying to make an exciting, enjoyable film that will appeal to a younger audience which likes fantasy adventure films.

Do you think we’ll see a greater number of China-UK co-productions in the future?
Most producers I speak to are very interested in China as a co-producing partner. China is a huge market, with a very hungry audience. However it’s important to find stories that are culturally relevant to both parties and respect the desires and expectations of the audiences both in China and across the wider world.

http://www.timeoutshanghai.com/features ... tyles.html
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 03 Mar 2014, 19:53

Small talk with director Eric Styles
The British director on his new film Legendary: Tomb of the Dragon

One of only a handful of UK-China co-productions over the past 20 years, Legendary: Tomb of the Dragon is an unabashed B-movie romp. Made on a modest budget of 12 million USD, the family action adventure tale follows a dashing cryptozoologist (think Indiana Jones, without the hat) who finds himself in a remote village in pursuit of a Predator-like creature from Chinese folklore. Time is ticking, as the evil schemes of a nefarious rival spell doom for both our handsome hero and the not-so-handsome creature. Can the Chinese co-production bring back the B-movie and topple the monopoly of same-y Hollywood blockbusters? Time Out talks to Eric Styles, the British director of Legendary

How did the opportunity to make Legendary as a UK/China co-production come about?
We had originally planned to shoot in the USA, but when that didn’t work out, the producers decided to look at China as a key component of the film. The setting was changed to a lake in China, and we then worked with SARFT [the State Administration for Radio, Film and Television] and the Chinese producers to make sure the new script reflected a plausible experience in China. This included writing new Chinese characters, and changing some story points. I think the film works better in China than it would have in the USA.

Why’s that?
I think in essence, the message of the film is culturally relevant [to China]. It’s about man’s attitude towards nature and his fellow creatures. You can choose to live alongside all creatures in harmony and respect, or you can choose to exploit man’s apparent superiority and treat other living things as commodities. I think this main theme of the benefits of conservation and respect will resonate with a Chinese audience.

What was the biggest challenge of shooting in China?
Coming from the tiny country of Wales, which only has a population of three million people, getting used to the scale of China was the most profound thing. [China] is huge, so diverse and magical, it almost becomes overwhelming. I suppose one of the biggest challenges for me was working with our Chinese cast, who spoke varying amounts of English. You want to have a very direct relationship with your actors and directing through a translator can be hard. But they all did a wonderful job. We finished very comfortably on schedule, which I gather doesn’t happen on every film in China.

How does a more modestly budgeted film like Legendary compete with blockbusters from Hollywood?
The US studios are very interested in making big summer tent-pole movies, because when they work they generate an enormous amount of money. Unfortunately, the studios can’t really predict what will work and what won’t – for example, John Carter [a sci-fi film that cost Disney 250 million USD to make, but only grossed 70 million USD at the US box office]. Legendary is a much more modest film in terms of resources, but we’ve worked hard trying to make an exciting, enjoyable film that will appeal to a younger audience which likes fantasy adventure films.

Do you think we’ll see a greater number of China-UK co-productions in the future?
Most producers I speak to are very interested in China as a co-producing partner. China is a huge market, with a very hungry audience. However it’s important to find stories that are culturally relevant to both parties and respect the desires and expectations of the audiences both in China and across the wider world.

http://www.timeoutshanghai.com/features ... tyles.html

Prime Focus World, lead VFX partner
PFW Supervisor: Piers Hampton
PFW Producer: Shome Dasgupta
PFW Scope of Work: VFX, 110 shots
PFW Lead Facility: Mumbai
PFW Associate Team: London

Prime Focus World’s Mumbai facility has exclusively contributed stereo VFX work for Legendary, the new film from director Eric Styles, starring Scott Adkins and Dolph Lundgren.

In Legendary, crypto-zoologist Travis Preston (Adkins) sets out to investigate rumors of a prehistoric beast that is killing construction workers, with the intention of capturing and preserving the deadly creature. But Preston has Harker (Lundgren) to contend with – a trophy-hunter who is only interested in bagging the beast, and who is not afraid to kill anyone who comes between himself and his prey.

Commenting on the project, Prime Focus Co-Founder and Chief Creative Director, Merzin Tavaria said, “The Mumbai team handled this complicated work admirably, delivering a challenging sequence in stereo that more than lived up to the vision of the director.”

The majority of the work completed on the movie included wire removals, monitor inserts and CG enhancement of shots. The scope of work also included stereo clean-up of wires over moving water.

One of the main VFX challenges came at the climax of the movie, and required the design and build of a CG reserve containing mythical creatures. The team took elements that were shot live with the actors and integrated them with a new computer generated environment to achieve the photo-real stereo sequences. The PFW CG, matte painting and compositing departments worked closely together at each stage to achieve what the director had envisioned.

PFW’s work on the movie comprised 110 stereo VFX shots and was completed by a team of 36 artists over a five-month production period. The work on Legendary was overseen by VFX Supervisor Piers Hampton in London, who worked closely with Head of VFX Production Shome Dasgupta and VFX Lead Shyam Gurumurthy in Mumbai.

“Prime Focus World’s work on Legendary is another example of the benefits of its global VFX model,” concluded VFX Supervisor Piers Hampton. “Between myself in London, and Shyam and the team in Mumbai, we were able to provide the director with challenging stereo VFX work which met the production’s budget, due to the efficiency of our global pipeline.”

Legendary is slated for release later this year.

PDF brochure
Jox
Site Admin

Postby punisher55 on 04 Mar 2014, 14:36

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

"Legendary: Tomb of the Dragon" 2013 (18x)

and Scott Adkins !!!!!!! :shock:
punisher55

Postby Jox on 06 Mar 2014, 16:39

#9 of top 10 Dubai box office first week (17 screens)
This straight-to video-China set action flick is well received with a cinematic release in Dubai. Time Out staff

Weekly box office: Dhs180,545
Weekly admissions: 5,138
Total box office: Dhs180,545
Total admissions: 5,138

http://www.timeoutdubai.com/gallery/500 ... xh6TuddVQR

Feb. 20–23 $38,950 $38,950
Feb. 27–Mar. 2 $2,386 $51,541

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/int ... T01&p=.htm
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 17 Mar 2014, 18:23

In Theaters July 2014, Available on VOD and DVD July 29, 2014
(from the U.S. distributor Wrekin Hill Entertainment's site)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 23 Mar 2014, 19:00

Rated PG-13 "for action, creature violence and some disturbing images".
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 11 Apr 2014, 20:03

Mobile game app demo:

http://vimeo.com/76413349

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 12 Apr 2014, 11:21

Behind The Scenes (14 mins)

https://vimeo.com/86301751

Jox
Site Admin

Postby harry on 15 Apr 2014, 17:18

In Germany with the rating FSK 12.

Distributed by Eurovideo. No street date yet.

http://www.fsk.de/index.asp?SeitID=491& ... ry&search=
harry

Postby Jox on 29 Apr 2014, 09:44

Tomb of the Dragon - Der letzte seiner Art
German release July 24 for rental and in August for retail
http://www.eurovideo.de/dvd-bluray,de,9 ... -film.html
http://www.bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-filme ... u-ray-disc
Jox
Site Admin

Postby harry on 29 Apr 2014, 11:36