BLOOD OF REDEMPTION (Giorgio Serafini/Shawn Sourgose, 2013)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: BLOOD OF REDEMPTION (G. Serafini / S. Sourgose, 2013)

Postby hansson55 on 30 Sep 2013, 06:46

Liked this one, more of this less of TV bullshit pls
¤¤¤ It’s from Sweden like me ¤¤¤
hansson55
Regular

Postby Jox on 30 Sep 2013, 14:50

http://theactionelite.com/movie-review/ ... 13-review/

Positives: Great story, excellent cast and entertaining action. Unpredictable with a good score as well.

Negatives: Nothing springs to mind really.

Bottom Line: 4.5 / 5 - Awesome!
The cast are all on top form and I think this is honestly one of Dolph’s best ever films. Vinnie Jones is always a great bad guy but what I loved is that the characters weren’t one-dimensional. Jones isn’t a good guy but he isn’t necessarily a villain either. It’s difficult to discuss without spoiling it as there are plenty of twists and turns to the story.

You’ve also got action legend Robert Davi doing a decent British accent and for once he isn’t really the main villain.

I still think Billy Zane would be a great Lex Luthor and this role only cements that opinion; his character Quinn is well layered and his story is arguably the best of the supporting cast.

Axel is one of Dolph’s more complex characters and really demonstrates that there is more to him than just kicking ass. Although there is plenty of action with some great fights, it’s the storyline which kept me interested from beginning to end.

It was tightly paced at only 84 minutes long so at no point did I look at my watch. It also has a fabulous score with some great electric guitar, really feeling like an old-school action movie with a modern twist.

If you’re looking for a movie like Red Scorpion or The Punisher, you may be disappointed; this is more of a gangster film where mob boss Serge (played by the always brilliant Robert Miano) is wanting out of the business for good. Things never go as planned though and when he is murdered that’s when the action kicks off. It doesn’t have lots of explosions or car chases but more one on one fights which is frankly my favourite kind of action anyway.

Overall, Blood of Redemption has proven to be one of the most surprising and entertaining action movies of the year. If you’re tired of CG overload and cartoons, I would give it a watch for something a little different.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 30 Sep 2013, 15:51

Can someone in the U.K. tell me if the U.K. edition is 2.35:1 aspect ratio or 1.78:1 (like the U.S.)?
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 02 Oct 2013, 08:38

They actually showed an ad for this during tonight's Sons of Anarchy. Weird. Of all the DTV flicks of his to get that sorta push it had to be this one.

Lundgren was the only cast member mentioned by name. I'd feel sorta bad for Billy Zane but then I remember I actually saw his performance in the film.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 02 Oct 2013, 08:53

Still haven't been able to see it.

http://www.craveonline.com/film/reviews ... ember-2013
The Dolph To Video Award
If you keep up with the latest Dolph Lundgren straight to video movies, and I know you do, you’ll be in for a treat with Blood of Redemption. Shot on the Red Epic digital camera, the Blu-ray presentation looks better than anything you could see in a theater.

On top of that, it’s actually shot in Los Angeles, a true rarity for Hollywood these days!

http://www.dvdsnapshot.com/2013/10/blood-of-redemption/
- We here at DVD Snapshot love the revival that Dolph Lundgren’s career is having. Sure you can see him in The Expendables movies, but he’s had a few straight to DVD releases that aren’t honestly that bad either.
- His latest is called Blood of Redemption which also stars another favorite of ours, Vinnie Jones. Dolph plays a henchman type to a crime boss and he punches and shoots his way throughout the film. Exactly what we want/expect from him.
- The surprise here though is Billy Zane. Zane has been more miss than hit for me over the past few years, but I kinda liked him in this. Zane, Lundgren and Jones are all pretty good together.
- Unfortunately there was one guy I couldn’t get into, the FBI brother played by Gianni Capaldi. I thought he was pretty bad and it looks like he produced the film too.
- And the movie isn’t just dumb action and violence. There’s a little twist to the end that gives it that little extra something.
- The Blu-ray looks good. The warehouse and buildings are dimly lit and dark, but look great in HD. Your standard digital film of today. Explosions are bright and loud. Dialogue is full and clear. Gunshots are loud and overall audio is solid.
- Obviously a film like Blood of Redemption is for the fans and there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s far from great, but Dolph is great in it. He does a narration throughout the film that kinda gives it a noir feel and there’s lot of action and deaths. That’s all I ask for out of a film like this and that’s what they gave me.

Overall Picture:
Movie: B-
Video: A
Audio: A
Extra Features: B
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 02 Oct 2013, 09:51

I'm just wondering if the production company kept aside a chunk of budget to pay for good reviews on film sites??? I'm amazed at how many solid reviews B.O.R and H.R have been getting.

Mind you, I'm gonna have a re-watch of Hard Rush today. I'm expecting it to look absolutely brilliant now, because the last piece of Lundgren I watched was SAF3. I'm now sure that the only good possible reason for watching SAF3 is if you want to make films like Agent Red and Retrograde look better.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 02 Oct 2013, 21:44

Jox wrote:Can someone in the U.K. tell me if the U.K. edition is 2.35:1 aspect ratio or 1.78:1 (like the U.S.)?

Nobody picked it up from across the Channel?
Jox
Site Admin

Postby waxman on 02 Oct 2013, 22:55

I finally saw Blood of Redemption. Having read a lot of negative reviews from Dolph fans, I had very low expectations. After watching this movie, I am surprised how much I enjoyed it.
I always buy Dolph movies even without checking them out first as long as he is the lead, but from what I heard, this is more of an ensemble piece rather than a "Dolph Lundgren" movie. I was actually hesitant to purchase this for that reason but I went for it anyway. Dolph is not on screen all the time, but if I have to say who the lead is, I'd say he is still the lead.

You can tell this had a low budget but it doesn't look as painful as other reviewers pointed out. Certainly doesn't look as bad as any of the Seagal movies that came out in the last 5 years.
I don't particularly love or hate either Billy Zane or Vinnie Jones, but I thought they were both good in their roles. I found the movie quite engaging and for a non-action movie, it has enough action too. I was never bored during the movie and genuinely enjoyed the movie a lot. I'd say this is one of the better direct-to-DVD movies made in recent years.
The only thing that annoyed me quite a bit is Gianni Capaldi. He doesn't have much screen presence or charisma but he was given too much screen time (yes, I know he is the producer). This movie could have been much better if the FBI role was played someone like Scott Adkins or Mark Dacascos.

Overall I am glad Dolph made this movie. I wouldn't mind seeing him more in this type of movies (I also love Hidden Agenda, and like Jill the Ripper a lot. The only truly terrible Dolph movies I think are Agent Red, Last Patrol, Minion)
waxman

Postby Nathan on 03 Oct 2013, 00:34

Jox wrote:
Jox wrote:Can someone in the U.K. tell me if the U.K. edition is 2.35:1 aspect ratio or 1.78:1 (like the U.S.)?

After paying full whack for the absolutely grim Hard Rush, especially when I'm so strapped of cash, I don't intend to squander what little money I have on Blood of Redemption...I'll happily wait until it hits the bargain bins for £2...so I'll likely get my copy this weekend... :wink:
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Tom on 03 Oct 2013, 00:50

Jox wrote:

I might be picking it up tomorrow.
Tom
Regular

Postby Nathan on 04 Oct 2013, 00:21

I went into Tesco to buy a movie to watch tonight, half expecting it to be Blood of Redemption, because I'd see it and not be able to resist. I didn't though, because I didn't see it at all. No sign of it. Hard Rush was still there, but no BOR.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Tom on 04 Oct 2013, 00:51

Nathan wrote:I went into Tesco to buy a movie to watch tonight, half expecting it to be Blood of Redemption, because I'd see it and not be able to resist. I didn't though, because I didn't see it at all. No sign of it. Hard Rush was still there, but no BOR.

I didn't see it either. I didn't see Hard Rush in Asda either, and normally Asda are pretty reliable for D films. A few of his recent ones have been more difficult to find. I still have an HMV near me so had to make the trip to find HR.
Tom
Regular

Postby shooby on 09 Oct 2013, 15:46

That's strange : more the time go away, better the reviews are !
shooby

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies