THE EXPENDABLES 3 (Patrick Hughes, 2014)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE EXPENDABLES 3 (2013-2014) (announced)

Postby Ivan, Jr. on 15 Apr 2013, 02:56

Jox wrote:Take it with a pich of salt:
Expendables 3 at Nu Boyana Film Studios is confirmed!
Posted on April 9, 2013

After the planetary success of “The Expendables 2″, Millennium has decided to continue the adventure and to make the next sequel – “The Expendables 3″. The shooting is planned to start in August. In Sofia naturally…

http://nuboyana.com/2013/04/8725/

I read a report where Wesley Snipes was finally released from jail for doing just under 3 years for tax evasion (but he still has to do 6 months under "house arrest" to complete his sentence). If he was going to be cast in TE 3, the shooting schedule would not allow him to appear in it. Too bad, I think he would have been good.
Ivan, Jr.

Postby Jox on 15 Apr 2013, 10:00

Film schedules change everyday, as I said this tentative production date is to take with a pinch of salt especially from the Nu Boyana website (I would have said prep in August and filming start date in the fall), and Snipes wouldn't have to be there right from the beginning...

Sly continues tweeting and rooting for Mel Gibson as director BUT he admits it be a REAL LONG SHOT...
Sylvester Stallone ‏@TheSlyStallone
Mel is a MAGNIFICENT director! Pure passion on every level . we'd be blessed to have him.. A REAL long shot, but LIFE is a long shot -right?
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Sgt.AndreaScott on 16 Apr 2013, 13:39

Seriously, I can't imagine Mel Gibson workin' on a flick like Expendables... I know all his flicks, he's a great director no doubt, but his style wouldn't fit that franchise. I could rather imagine John McTiernan or Antoine Fuqua doin' the job. :wink: But my personal fave's (though also a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery long shot) James Cameron. :mrgreen:
~ Agent Red is pointless 'n' dumb. But still a better love story than Twilight
~ I'm solely responsible for what I say, not for what ya understand
Sgt.AndreaScott

Postby Nathan on 16 Apr 2013, 18:59

James Cameron made movies above and beyond the thrills of The Expendables, he'd have been great in the 90's, but now all he makes is self-indulgent tripe. Okay so TE2 was about as self-indulgent as you could get, but unless anyone wants to see Stallone flying atop a CGI aircraft for three hours, painted blue, I would leave that one out haha.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Sgt.AndreaScott on 16 Apr 2013, 22:50

Nathan wrote:Stallone flying atop a CGI aircraft for three hours, painted blue

Damn, I laughed so hard at this, I chocked on my coffee! :lol:
S'pose I should have added that Avatar 's the only Cameron flick I truly hate.
~ Agent Red is pointless 'n' dumb. But still a better love story than Twilight
~ I'm solely responsible for what I say, not for what ya understand
Sgt.AndreaScott

Postby leigh1975 on 16 Apr 2013, 23:53

Renny Harlin?
leigh1975

Postby Jox on 16 Apr 2013, 23:58

Harlin will be busy with Nu Image/Millennium's HERCULES.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby leigh1975 on 17 Apr 2013, 00:11

I really like James McTiegue's eye, but it may be a bit 'new school' for Expendables.
leigh1975

Postby Jox on 19 Apr 2013, 20:48

So Mel is out as predicted, and Sly has apparently found a new director that he'll meet tomorrow...
Sylvester Stallone ‏@TheSlyStallone 1h
I would Direct it myself , but I want my HANDS free to fight!!!

It will be An Unknown to most of you... Like I was centuries ago , or so it seems, But still The Battle! ... Just In the Blood....

Sylvester Stallone ‏@TheSlyStallone 2h
Meeting the New Director Tomorrow!!! Couldf be Fantastic.... Stay tuned.

Sylvester Stallone ‏@TheSlyStallone 16h
Searching for a young lion to tear the screen apart with fresh vision!!... I think I know who is hungry and talented.... Fate at the Gate .

Sylvester Stallone ‏@TheSlyStallone 17h
The Artist is born in the Suffering child ... STRANGE, nearly every setback has led me to NEW DISCOVERIES - I believe It will again....

Sylvester Stallone ‏@TheSlyStallone 17h
Sorry, tried hard, Mel's living his own life....
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 21 Apr 2013, 10:50

The latest Sly teasing tweets
My best PURE ACTION FILM-The last RAMBO- I want this one too top it and I believe it will with NEW BLOOD...

Sylvester Stallone ‏@TheSlyStallone 7h
You will never guess....NEW BLOOD, right?

Sylvester Stallone ‏@TheSlyStallone 8h
Love John Woo but he is working in China- EX3 Needs freshness, class, and much badass.... Found it...Blood Sweat and Fears ,coming soon..

Sylvester Stallone ‏@TheSlyStallone 8h
Found an EXCITING director... Things sometimes happen for a Reason....Okay?
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 24 Apr 2013, 01:01

Sly chooses unknown Aussie director Patrick Hughes to helm THE EXPENDABLES 3.

Hugues did the cop thriller RED HILL and the short SIGNS, that Sly recommends.

Nu Image/ Millennium has yet to approve him.

Sylvester Stallone ‏@TheSlyStallone 36m
Hey , Everyone should go look at Patrick Hughes short film on U-Tube It is called SIGNS . It will move you in a GOOD WAY. You will LOVE it!

Sylvester Stallone ‏@TheSlyStallone 54m
Rent RED HILL. Great Movie!! 500,000 budget 20 day shoot, Amazing - ROCKY was 850,000 and 25 days , Good OMEN!!!

Forager23 got it first! Ask a question , Sly Congrats to the the other followers, you were barely 4 seconds behind ...Keep Punching!!!!!

Ok .. Last HINT He is NEW.. the last film he did was more RED than BLUE...

1st one who gets it right I will contact .... Fair enough???

NOT Mel...Fresh talent... Directed a Damn good film 2 years ago...Think.

The director is an Aussie.........

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... tor-444781
Patrick Hughes must still win approval from the heads of Millennium, the company behind the action movie series.

The action is almost ready to begin.

Australian helmer Patrick Hughes has been chosen by Sylvester Stallone to direct The Expendables 3, the third installment in Stallone’s all-star action movie franchise.

Hughes doesn’t have the gig yet. Sources say he is flying in shortly to meet with the heads of Millennium, the company behind the franchise. He is expected to get the offer.

Hill is a relative newcomer with one feature film under his belt: Red Hill, the acclaimed thriller that starred Ryan Kwanten as a city police officer having a hell of a first day in a small country town.

Expendables 3 is expected to welcome back the majority of its action stars, including Jason Statham and Dolph Lundgren. The producers hope to add Wesley Snipes to the fold as well as they eye a shoot in late July-early August.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 24 Apr 2013, 10:38

So nobody gives a s**t anymore? It's not like the euphoric 2008 casting of Dolph announcement, huh?!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 24 Apr 2013, 11:58

Interesting choice. I suppose it's an unknown quantity. With Simon West or Sly for example, you get an idea what you're gonna get stylistically of course.
Is this guy merely gonna be Sly's puppet though? That's my worry about getting a rookie in. It's a lot of pressure to handle. Not only is Sly a director but also Dolph, Chan (if he signs on) and a lot of the NI crew who worked on the films have also directed a lot of features. He may get swamped with too many ideas forced on him perhaps. I dunno.

In all honesty I have no expectations for this one. I'm fairly sure the script will be crap again. If they want another Expendables beyond the 3rd one then a decent script is essential. People won't forgive a bad one for a third time, no matter how unsophisticated the audience is (in many studios minds).

I could see this one tanking at the box-office if I'm being honest. I think people have gotten a little bored now. As Jox says, there's just very little interest now. Casting rumours aren't what they were. Lets face it. Arnie, Bruce and Chuck won't be topped for furore.

For this to succeed I think they definitely need Chan. He garauntees it'll make loads worldwide because of his Asian following. Then add The Rock to this as he has more presence than Statham. Maybe lean toward building the Rock up as Barney's successor.
Then they need to market the hell out of it with decent trailers and a decent plotline.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 24 Apr 2013, 12:29

Nice write up T.

Wasn't there rumors The Rock is out?

What I find surprising is that Hugues is given a shot (though I hear he still has to get officially approved) when confirmed DTV guys like John Hyams or Jesse Johnson (who's low budget DTVs are still a lot bigger productions than RED HILL) are breaking their teeth trying to break through bigger movies... I'd be kinda pissed if I was them. But other than that it's kinda cool and hopeful if a guy like that can make it with the big boys.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby preacher on 24 Apr 2013, 12:30

Fully agree with Tom on everything.

I can see this bomb big time. The excitement is kinda gone. Nr 2 divided fans and was frowned upon because of how silly it got. Rightfully so. I liked it alot when watching it but it was pure fan service. Not even a real movie. It has zero rewatch value to me due to the none-existent plot and over all bad script. Just one big inside joke. Only Van Damme got something truly fascinating to do, and stole the movie.

The next one needs to really rise above all that shit. How they manage to make movies about a band of mercenaries and make the actual BAND so uninteresting, with such a lack of character and dynamic is just sad.
Thinking back on nr 2 I get mad at how they wasted the cast.

For this one I say: Screw the casting! That novelty is gone. No actionstar alive can save this based on just showing up. Their best hope is to come up with an interesting concept and make a strong film (go figure) that suprise people and have legs at the boxoffice. Because this thing is not gonna be able to kill it on opening weekend. Look at "Olympus has Fallen". Have not seen it but it is getting praise as a true 90's style actionflick. I say it prevailed on concept and execution, not casting.
preacher
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies