A MAN WILL RISE (T. Jaa /V. Rojanapanich, 2013) (unfinished)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: A MAN WILL RISE (Tony Jaa, 2014) (in post-production)

Postby Jox on 20 Apr 2014, 11:42

From the set pics the project seems to have a lot of green screen (for the "western" environment and sets), meaning quite a bit of post-production. It's only been a year since it' was shot and we're not sure where it's at (forgot to ask). They also took a long time to release anything on Tony Jaa's previous one, TOM YUN GOONG 2 / PROTECTOR 2, so it might take a while for this one as well. I don't see them sitting on it without releasing it anything. Might find out more if they take it to the Cannes market for international sales.

(P.S. Tony Jaa's contract and relationship with them shouldn't have anything to do with the outcome)
Jox
Site Admin

Re: A MAN WILL RISE (Tony Jaa, 2014) (status unknown)

Postby Jox on 22 May 2014, 17:10

The status of the movie still seems uncertain as they were still not selling it in Cannes and I was told indeed they stopped the production before the end (yet why hold a gigantic press conference then?!)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 20 Jul 2014, 13:30

Thai Martial Arts Choreographer Panna Ritthikrai Dead At 53
http://twitchfilm.com/2014/07/thai-mart ... at-53.html
Reports are surfacing from Thailand that celebrated martial arts choreographer and film director Panna Ritthikrai has died from liver disease, aged 53.

Ritthikrai is probably best known for his work with action star Tony Jaa in films such as the Ong-Bak and Tom Yum Goong series, but he also directed a number of features including The Bodyguard and the fantastic olympian-actioner Born to Fight. He was an integral player in the new wave of Thai action cinema that took the world by storm at the start of the 21st century, and continued to be a pivotal force until the very end.

Gareth Evans, director of Indonesian action flick The Raid, tweeted earlier today "What Panna and Jaa did w/ Ong Bak revitalised martial arts cinema. The importance of that film on the genre is huge."

Ritthikrai's most recent credit is as Action Co-ordinator on the as-yet unreleased A Man Will Rise, starring Tony Jaa and Dolph Lundgren. He will be sorely missed.

R.I.P.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 22 Jul 2014, 11:12

Ong-Bak and Tom Yum Goong have some of the best stunt work of any era of martial arts films. RIP and my condolences to his family.
dude hallenbeck

Postby thegoon4eto on 16 Mar 2015, 20:15

A little interview with Tony Jaa about lots of things ... including A Man Will Rise. Appereantly, the movie "is not complete".

TJ: This movie you are referring to was being produced by the studio I was previously attached to. They did not complete the film while I was still attached to them. The film was being directed by Vitidnan, and I do not know what the plans are for completion or release. The concept was only mildly comedic. I do enjoy comedy and think that an action comedy would be fun. It would certainly give me a chance to show some acting range.

link: http://www.manlymovie.net/2015/03/exclusive-tony-jaa-skin-trade-interview.html
Van Damme fans forum

http://jcvdfans.boards.net/
thegoon4eto

Postby Jox on 17 Mar 2015, 00:29

thegoon4eto wrote:A little interview with Tony Jaa

Tony's manager?

We know it's being held up, but what's not clear is what "not complete" means...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 31 Mar 2015, 15:53

This article claims only 20% of the film was shot, that would be very little for the 6 or 8 weeks of filming that took place...
Jaa and Lundgren met on the set of the unfinished project "Ai Noom Gangnam" ("A Man Will Rise") produced by Sahamongkol Film and which is at the heart of the a contract dispute with the studio. Announced in April 2013, with Jaa also named as co-director and already in the shooting phase, "A Man Will Rise" came to an abrupt end in July that year with just 20 per cent in the can. Sahamongkol has demanded that Jaa pay back the Bt26 million he is said to have been paid for the project.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/life/Hi ... 57063.html
Jox
Site Admin

Postby DRC2013 on 31 Mar 2015, 16:49

That's weird. Maybe they meant that they still had 20% left to film?

Also, Tony Jaa got paid 26 million Baht, which is about $800,000?! That's a lot more than I figured his fee would be, seeing that Thai movies usually must not have that high budgets.
DRC2013

Postby Jox on 31 Mar 2015, 17:07

The budget of the film was claimed to be $5 million which is not much by western standards but huge over there, so $800,000 sounds about right. But money talk is always tricky when we're never sure about those figures and what goes on behind the scenes (and every case is different).
Jox
Site Admin

Re: A MAN WILL RISE (Tony Jaa/Vitidnan Rojana, 2013, unfinis

Postby Jox on 13 May 2015, 13:49

Just watch the beghinning

(and Tony Jaa's look when he says it's not gonna be released right now..)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 09 Jul 2015, 08:18

Tony Jaa made a statement about his legal issues with Sahamongkol Film being completely finished.

I'm Angelo Bardas, I made an offhanded comment on that facebook post, not expecting any kind of reply:

dude hallenbeck

Postby Jox on 09 Jul 2015, 11:44

dude hallenbeck wrote:Tony Jaa made a statement
His management.

I guess it will enter the annals of the mythic aborted & unfinished projects...

With some stills to attest it and footage we'll likely never see (and good luck digging anything from Thailand). Could have been something with this weird mixed bag of Thai comedy, western, 1950s, and Dolph with Elvis-haired Tony Jaa (and a dog)...

It did bring up Dolph and Tony though and that's how D thought of making SKIN TRADE in Thailand with offering Tony his first role in an American production in exchange from being doing A MAN WILL RISE.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 07 Oct 2015, 16:37

More behind the scenes pics from the promo photoshoot:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... permPage=1

(all the pics from the set will now be legendary, Van Damme's FULL LOVE/EAGLE PATH might not be released but this might not even ever be finished - and being a Thai production, good luck getting a hand on anything)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 08 Oct 2015, 18:18

Van Damme's THE EAGLE PATH at least finished filming. That film is fully completed. It's just in limbo most likely never seeing the light of day. Did A MAN WILL RISE even start filming? From the looks of it, it appears that the film never even made it past the promo shoot phase...
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 08 Oct 2015, 20:32

Oh yeah they did (more than starting principal photography), they filmed for about a month (Dolph even wrapped his part), and there were plenty of set pics and production stills posted and some sent out to the site Twitch by Tony Jaa's manager...
http://twitchfilm.com/2013/04/lundgren- ... -rise.html

As for EAGLE PATH, which is now back to being titled FULL LOVE, it's now entangled in some legal loophole as far as I know.
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies