A CERTAIN JUSTICE / PUNCTURE WOUNDS (Serafini/Coyne), 2013)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: A CERTAIN JUSTICE / PUNCTURE WOUNDS (Giorgio Serafini, 2

Postby Jox on 06 Jun 2014, 00:08

Mosquito wrote:Also still looking for "Sunny Side Up".

I have a VHS copy that Darling had made. Just need to find the proper way to transfer VHS to DVD with the lesser quality loss. But as I might have mentioned before you just see Dolph's back at a phone booth, hanging up and leave (5 seconds or less)... That's barely more than a Hitchcock cameo! Movie is okay for a self-funded film in black and white where I couldn't understand most of the (German) dialogues. :wink:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 23 Jun 2014, 14:30

Another Gianni Capaldi interview...
Thanks very much for chatting with us.

So you’ve just done three movies with Dolph Lundgren, Vinnie Jones and director Giorgio Serafini and (James Coyne for Puncture Wounds/A Certain Justice). How did you guys all get together?

Well, I brought in Giorgio for the first movie, which was Ambushed/Hard Rush; I’d worked with Vinnie Jones on another film before called The Cross about two or three years ago. We stayed in touch and became friends; Vinnie’s the kind of guy that is so genuine that when you meet him you just remain friends forever. He’s just that type of guy. Anyway, I brought Giorgio on because I thought he was a great director after Game of Death; I really loved what he did with that.

Dolph came on, then Vinnie and we all just had this really great synergy between all four of us so we wanted to try two or three back to back, which we did.

For the third one, I was sitting in my local coffee shop and sitting across from me was this English guy James Coyne. We started chatting and he said “I’ve got this really good script”; so I saw the script and I really liked it. I thought it would be great for the team to do. James was actually friends with Cung Le before he became part of the team on Puncture Wounds/A Certain Justice. It all just clicked into place one after the other which was really good. I’m hoping to do something else with Giorgio at the end of this year and right now offers are out for a movie with James as well. So hopefully we’ll have one with Giorgio and one with James coming up…

I’m a big fan of Giorgio, he can do a lot with a small budget; is that one of things that appeals about working with him?

Yeah, he’s the type of guy who knows what the budget is and how to shoot something and make it look good without maybe cutting. He can make it look bigger than it actually is; when he worked on Game of Death I think he learned a lot of tricks from that movie. He can read a script and say “this here is really expensive to shoot, it doesn’t do anything for the film, it’s not like it’s an action piece, so let’s change it to this!” so he’s really good that way and very understanding.

I liked how all three films feel very real. Nobody is over the top which makes it more believable; was that important?

Yes, we all tried to do something different as characters; we didn’t want to keep playing the same characters in the three films. So that’s why Dolph had his beard in the last one, he’s a good guy in the middle one and a cop in the first one. I got to play a Glasgow type NED (Non educated delinquent), to FBI cop to a Sons of Anarchy type of guy. So yeah, you try to keep it as real as possible and nothing too unbelievable. That’s one of Giorgio’s strong points.

Whose idea was it for Dolph’s epic moustache and hairdo for Puncture Wounds?

I think that was actually Dolph the actor’s idea as he wanted to change things up a little bit and try to get into the character more rather than just being himself again.

Dolph comes across as someone without ego and a genuinely nice guy.

He’s very placid and a very easy, go lucky guy; he just gets on with it and he’ll have these ideas during a scene. He likes to block out a scene a lot and it all comes down to what editing you have too. The editing can really change somebody’s misdemeanour on a film and I felt that on some of the films some of the editing worked better than others. One of the movies was quite different from the way it was shot and some storylines were started but didn’t go anywhere. As far as actors and directors go, we do our best and put what we can on screen to be used.

I love your character of Vin in Puncture Wounds; a conflicted bad guy who is tired of it all. What do you think happened to him after the events of the film?

The funny thing was, which was quite disappointing, at the end of the film you see Vin get on the bus with Tanya. So we know he got hit in the leg, we know he’s still alive so did he get away from the police? Did he not? So I don’t know why that wasn’t in it, because Giorgio shot it where both of us got on the bus together and that was that.

Were there any military advisors on Puncture Wounds as it felt very authentic with the fights and PTSD?

Yeah, well Cung is a martial artist and Dolph’s trained as well; we had two stunt coordinators Scott Sheeley and Jimmy Lui. They both wanted to give Cung more of a military style attack feel; one of the good fight scenes was him in the corridor at the end. There are some great action scenes there which really gave him the chance to show off his skills.

I actually though Vinnie Jones was really good in the film as well; it was that one time where he didn’t play the hard guy and he played the guy who was getting picked on by the hard guy. It was a complete role reversal and I thought he did absolutely amazing. So you get to see Vinnie doing something other than being a tough guy.

Even the smaller supporting characters have their moments to shine. Sgt. Terry Mitchell played James C. Burns in Puncture Wounds for example; he spends his spare time with his dying wife. Was it these details which appealed to you about the story?

I really liked it because it wasn’t just guys getting their drugs stolen or somebody gets their girlfriend kidnapped. This one had a few more touching moments I think and I loved that particular ark. I thought he was one of the best characters in the film. You really felt for him, especially when he went back and his wife had passed away. It wasn’t just the usual action film where it’s just explosions, guns and fights; there was a little more to it.

I also think James Coyne is a really great writer and you’ll find you’re gonna get a lot more out of him in the near future as his writing his fantastic.

What made you want to be a producer too?

Well I’ve got a creative side and I’ve got a business side so for me neglecting one to feed the other doesn’t make sense as you’ll never really feel fulfilled. It’s like a yin and yang where sometimes as an actor you love to go do this and that but as a producer you’re saying “Well, we don’t have the budget for that” (laughs) so it’s like “Let’s not do that”. It’s a great combination and I think everybody in town is doing it from Wahlberg, to Depp to Cruise; everybody’s doing it. I produced a film I didn’t act in called Badge of Honour in Vancouver. If something feels right in a film then great but otherwise I wouldn’t want to force a role into it, if you know what I mean.

What’s your favourite of the three films?

I think the first one Ambushed/Hard Rush was my personal favourite; I got to be a Scottish NED or whatever you want to call it in LA. Playing the bad guy with a sympathetic side is always more fun. Randy Couture was such a lovely guy too and I really hope to work with him again soon.

Yeah, your character was arguably the best of the three in this one…

It’s funny when you edit a film like that you’ve got to try to not obscure too much, from an Executive Producer side. I think one of the biggest hiccups was Blood of Redemption because it had a running total of about 78 minutes, which made it a tad too short.

http://theactionelite.com/2014/06/giann ... interview/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 24 Jun 2014, 06:29

Got this one ready to go on the PS3. Fingers crossed.
dude hallenbeck

Postby dude hallenbeck on 26 Jun 2014, 14:06

Did they mess with Le's voice in post? The ADR doesn't match for a lot of it and it seems deeper than it normally is.
dude hallenbeck

Postby dude hallenbeck on 26 Jun 2014, 15:37

Well, I'm glad that's over. I hate how unfriendly these movies are. So much rape and misogyny for no reason at all (Not that I can actually think of a good reason for all that). The fight scene between D and Le was pretty cool, until it ended 30 seconds after it started.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Jox on 27 Jun 2014, 02:02

dude hallenbeck wrote:Did they mess with Le's voice in post? The ADR doesn't match for a lot of it and it seems deeper than it normally is.

That's not impossible... He's a nice dude, but he doesn't have a lot of charisma as an actor/leading man and here the voice-over is very clumsy and .

I hate how unfriendly these movies are. So much rape and misogyny for no reason at all (Not that I can actually think of a good reason for all that).
Exactly my thoughts. There's really not much that is not gratuitous in this movie: even sub-plots and secondary characters like the cop and his dying wife, which doesn't get any sympathy from us spectators because WTF and are they doing herehave no function other than to show the limits of the writing and amateur ensemble piece.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 09 Jul 2014, 13:00

Tom Jolliffe chats with Gianni Capaldi about his latest film, A Certain Justice a.k.a. Puncture Wounds…
http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/07/i ... stice.html
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 27 Jul 2014, 01:56

DVD Review – A Certain Justice
http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/dv ... n-justice/
The issue with A Certain Justice is just how badly that story is delivered.

The writing, acting and direction are all dull through and through. Nothing about it seems to have a pulse except for the violence. Obviously that is the main ingredient in action films, but with monotonous line deliveries, really ugly characters, saturated lighting and hyperactive editing the story is painful to watch unfold rather than awe inspiring. Worst of all though, the constant jump-cuts to replay scenes from ten seconds ago are insulting. It makes the film play like its audience are assumed to be meth-heads with no short term memories.
(...)
crucially any such movie needs to have a bit more fun to it to be an enjoyable watch. Alternatively it needs to be so well made as to be genuinely commenting on the nature of justice, and not just presenting dubious politics in between badly acted clichés.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 05 Aug 2014, 11:02

First time for everything, I disagree on almost everything (except about the invading editing and cinematography) here, Tom.
http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/08/d ... -2014.html

And yes Dolph's character is a big douche but the fact that is supposed to be doesn't make him a well written or interesting character, like all in this movie it seems gratuitous and naively so. And as much as I welcome supporting characters, especially if they're strong, these are not. Some actions movies could welcome more characters, this one needs to have less (in the same way you talk about a more simple/classic to shoot and edit it). BOTD may have been more conventional but it worked so much better in terms of the characters and writing (among other things). I'll have to give it a second chance but there's something cynically bad and sick I don't like about this movie.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 05 Aug 2014, 12:31

I do agree there's a real nastiness about it, but having seen Sabotage with Arnie, this one felt like Mary Poppins in comparison. ha ha.
D's character wasn't particularly well written either granted, but I suppose reasonably effective in what they've set out to do. It wasn't clever but I kind of respected the fact that it's the first Dolph film I've ever watched where I've come out really disliking him in it. I suppose that was probably the major reason why Dolph probably took the role. While it might not have a great deal of subtlety, he's never really done anything like it. All his other villains have had a weird likeability, or comical aspect.
Last edited by Tom on 05 Aug 2014, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Regular

Postby Tom on 05 Aug 2014, 12:36

Must add too, I'm really surprised this film wasn't an 18 in England. It's pretty gruesome. I think whoever rated it at the BBFC was probably reading the newspaper while it was on, or browsing the internet. :lol:
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 06 Aug 2014, 13:52

Me too (surprised about the non-18 certificate).

Indeed D is despicable, but then again at least half of the characters I found unlikable (so imagine how the villain had to be!) and that's part of the movie's issues.

I didn't see SABOTAGE but it sure didn't appeal to me for these reasons. Gritty, dark, violent doesn't mean it has to be nasty, complaisant or else. It's the same a lot of genre movies (especially in horror the likes) these days.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 24 Aug 2014, 16:29

Test review of the German blu-ray (still not in proper aspect ratio)
http://www.hd-filmreviews.de/index.php/ ... ray-review

German back cover
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies