EXPEND4BLES (Scott Waugh, 2023)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE EXPENDABLES 4 (Scott Waugh, 2022) (in post-productio

Postby JuV on 26 Apr 2022, 11:37

Nice to see Dolph have relative high billing, but that tagline is one of the worst... Sincerely hope that's not the final one.
JuV

Postby Jox on 26 Apr 2022, 12:02

I don't know how the final film will be but this shows how they (Lionsgate, I assume) don't know how to market it and what to do with it... It doesn't look like anything, it's yet another change of title fonts (and lack of visual consistency), you can barely have a glimpse of the characters (even as shadowy figures you can do better). I read someone said it tries to imitate JUSTICE LEAGUE, I don't know about that.

At the time of the original, Sly was telling THE EXPENDABLES was an experiment, well experiments don't always have to be pursued...

I hope it does take us by surprise but so far it looks like it's gonna be another disappointment.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby JuV on 26 Apr 2022, 14:26

Yeah, I'm still surprised this film was even made. As much as I'm a fan of those involved, I'll definitely watch this in theaters (if this will even be shown here) and I can guess a certain demographic will as well, but in general was anyone still asking for another Expendables...? (outside a few Instagram comments on Sly's posts)

My main concern is that the filmed script is that off the Jason Statham spin-off, and it's now official that this is marketed as Expendables 4 (of course the 4 replaces the A as well, didn't even notice that :lol:) but at the same time we don't really know much about that script...

As for the poster imitating Justice League, I disagree. Plenty of posters before and after that movie have used shadowy figures Justice League didn't invent it, maybe it made it popular and if so it's logical that it gets copied.

Expendables 1 and 2 are fun, but both sadly completely fail at what they were supposed to do in my opinion.
JuV

Postby Jox on 26 Apr 2022, 16:59

By the way, I don't know if that means anything but Lionsgate had JOHN WICK 4 scheduled for March 2023 and the production began and finished before EX4, so it could be that they won't release until it after JW4, maybe?

EDIT:
Lionsgate Films To Stream Exclusively On Roku Channel After Starz Window

https://deadline.com/2022/04/lionsgate- ... 235009702/
Lionsgate and Roku have struck a deal giving the studio’s feature films an exclusive streaming run on the free, ad-supported Roku Channel after they play on Starz.

The multi-year output arrangement covers theatrical releases starting this year.

Under the deal, the Roku Channel will have two windows for the Lionsgate titles — the first of which will follow their exclusive Starz stints and the second of which will be non-exclusive.

[...]

Films that will be part of the new distribution setup include the John Wick action franchise, Expendables 4 and Borderlands.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 28 Apr 2022, 15:39

That's a very scientifically accurate tagline.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Jox on 29 Apr 2022, 10:47

The Expendables 4 Footage Reaction: Stallone And The Gang Are Back For More Explosions [CinemaCon 2022]
https://www.slashfilm.com/828995/the-ex ... macon-2022
Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson appeared via video message at CinemaCon to share his excitement about joining the mega-action franchise, saying that "this is my movie right here" before introducing some sneak-peek footage from the upcoming sequel.

The footage begins with Sylvester Stallone saying that this life isn't for everyone, meaning that being an Expendable isn't always all it's cracked up to be. He then crashes an airplane through a train tunnel, which either illustrates or negates his point depending on your point of view. Statham tries to stop him with a quick "you're not doing what I think you're doing," but of course he is, and the crash cuts to a flashback of footage from the previous three films. Text across the screen over the footage reads: "It Was All A Warmup for This."

Each of the new stars got a quick introduction, with footage of Tony Jaa, Iko Uwais, Megan Fox, and Dolph Lundgren. Fox and Statham have some flirty, fighty foreplay on a couch, Lundgren looks appropriately badass astride a motorcycle, and Uwais shows off his high-kick skills by introducing his foot to some bad guy's skull. There's a big explosion, because this is an "Expendables," after all, and then the footage ends.

‘John Wick: Chapter 4’ Footage Closes Out CinemaCon With a Bang
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235137673/
Jokes aside, Lionsgate then rolled out a video message from Curtis Jackson, best known as rap icon 50 Cent, who introduced the star-packed Expendables 4 reel. The Scott Waugh directed pic stars 50 Cent alongside heavyweights Jason Statham, Sylvester Stallone, Megan Fox, Dolph Lundgren, Andy Garcia, Randy Couture and Uko Awais.

“This film is more violent than Will Smith at a comedy club, just saying,” joked Maniscalco before introducing 50 Cent. “I love movies in theaters,” he said. “This right here, this is about to be my movie. I’m taking over this franchise.”

The clip reel opened with Stallone’s character saying matter-of-factly, “This life, it’s not for everyone.” Then came facts about the franchise in that more than 500,000 rounds of ammunition have been used and more than 7,000 dead bodies piled up over the past three installments. “It was all a warmup for this,” teased the reel.

The Expendables 4 Gets A Title That’s Not Actually Expendables 4, Plus A Rough And Tumble First Look With Megan Fox And Jason Statham Getting Steamy
https://www.cinemablend.com/movies/the- ... ing-steamy
Jox
Site Admin

Postby JuV on 29 Apr 2022, 13:53

Damn, again with the cheesy lines "It Was All A Warmup for This." and a recap of the carnage from the previous films (and the Will Smith joke, but that's just from the host)...

I feel like they're going to put up some stakes in this film, but we already know it won't be Stallone, Statham seems like too big of a name to get rid of, which leaves Lundgren and Couture. Unless they (again) decide to kill of a new character, but I hope they learn from their past mistakes...

I am very excited about the new cast tho, and do hope we still might get a few unannounced cameos (but I really doubt that).
JuV

Postby dude hallenbeck on 29 Apr 2022, 14:38

If they're using the Christmas Story script then, most of the cast is wiped out at the start and Statham is on his "own" right?
dude hallenbeck

Postby JuV on 29 Apr 2022, 19:36

I really doubt that they would've killed off the entire squad in that script, especially since (at some point) they wanted to release part 4 a year after the spin-off.

But there's really no way to know, since they probably did some re-writes to the script. Even if they'd wipe out the others at the beginning, we probably would've heard some casting/seen some BTS about it (unless it was all filmed in secrecy) or they do it off-screen, but I hope they're smarter than that...
JuV

Postby Jox on 03 May 2022, 19:14

https://www.film.tv/nachrichten/2022/do ... 57701.html

"It's almost seven years after we saw these guys, Gunner is now on the wagon. He stopped drinking. He's trying to be a good guy and read philosophical books and so forth. But unfortunately, I think something will force him to have a shot of Aquavit later in the movie when things get bad, but it's actually for good and bad. The story is about trying to prevent a nuclear war between the United States and Russia. So there you go. Hopefully we won't be there in real life, but it's kind of an entertaining fantasy version of that."
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 05 May 2022, 11:52

Apparently director Scott Waugh was brought in last minute after another unnamed filmmaker was at the helm...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 09 May 2022, 15:42

Based off one of the writers being Max Adams, one suspect could be his regular collaborator director Scott Mann, but that's entirely a guess.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Jox on 16 May 2022, 15:03

The EXPEND4BLES banner is now shown off on a building of the Croisette in Cannes... (info courtesy of Nathan)
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies