EXPEND4BLES (Scott Waugh, 2023)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE EXPENDABLES 4 (Scott Waugh, 2022) (in post-productio

Postby Jox on 07 Nov 2022, 20:05

Stallone to Hollywood Reporter:
How’s Expendables 4 looking?

I heard it turned out pretty good. Jason Statham is 80 percent of it. He’s happy with it.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235254384/

(This is a quite in-depth interview (and not very PR-like) so don't hesitate to read the entire thing)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 12 Nov 2022, 11:12

Apparently according to this 2016 interview, earlier in the process Gunnar was supposed to die in EX4 and then that was changed back to him being alive at the end... (7 min 35 in)

EDIT:
大mike /Mike Leeder/ Big Mike @bigmikeleeder
Did a little bit of stunt casting on this last year, and really think people are gonna like what JC Stuntteamer Alan Ng did with the fights for Iko and Statham, Jaa and Levy Tran etc, got to see some rough cuts and looks good

https://twitter.com/bigmikeleeder/statu ... 8468373504
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 28 Nov 2022, 13:20

Jox wrote:Apparently according to this 2016 interview, earlier in the process Gunnar was supposed to die in EX4 and then that was changed back to him being alive at the end... (7 min 35 in)

I suspect if they're using the Christmas Story script, they gave all of Arnold's role to Dolph.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Nathan on 28 Nov 2022, 14:05

I believe the basis for the script was one called High Value Target that was meant to star Statham and Tony Jaa. Essentially Under Siege on a cargo ship. But I dare say they have combined it with the EX4 script, something which also existed prior in some form.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 28 Nov 2022, 21:12

I think it's a little of both, HIGH VALUE TARGET and A CHRISTMAS STORY. Perhaps they worked HIGH VALUE TARGET into A CHRISTMAS STORY first and it ultimately became EXPENDABLES 4 (which sounds like it's essentially the CHRISTMAS STORY spin-off except they retitled it EX4).

But according to its writer Gregory Poirier, the previous script for EX4 (delivered in 2018) was completely different and could potentialy be made as an EX5...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 29 Nov 2022, 14:02

I thought the 'A Christmas Story' was pretty funny, they should have went with that. Even if EX5 happens, I reckon it'll be Statham leading the pack again and Stallone either absent or in a Mickey Rourke-esque role like the first film.
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 29 Nov 2022, 14:25

Millennium will no doubt continue to milk the franchise, but if the lack of anticipation for EX4 is indicative of its potential theatrical failure, the next projects (EX5 or else) will likely be as lower budgets, straight to digital / streaming releases, spin offs or TV series...

It's kind of crazy when you think of how much of a buzz / blitz EX1 once was, to how this 4th entry makes even the fans cringe (which is pale in comparison to a franchise like the FAST movies)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby TEMIRLAN on 29 Nov 2022, 16:12

I hope they are not going to promote it like "all big names in one film" throwing names like tran, scopio, etc. in the trailer. As a stand alone Statham action movie it could work well. Because Statham sells well.
TEMIRLAN

Postby Nathan on 29 Nov 2022, 23:34

Yeah I agree. Ideally they are going back to basics with this one and concentrating on making the action great. The original still has the most heart thanks to Stallone. There's still time to save the franchise but they shouldn't have cheaped out. The Rock expressed interest in joining as a bad guy, they should have paid him what he wanted.
Nathan
Regular

Postby TEMIRLAN on 30 Nov 2022, 13:29

yes. if they save the franchise then they could make it bigger again casting guys like butler, brosnan, the rock, cage, etc.
TEMIRLAN

Postby Jox on 01 Dec 2022, 10:47

There was a test-screening yesterday, thesilverlining from the StalloneZone was in attendance:
https://craigzablo.proboards.com/post/865289/thread
So I just got home from seeing the film....I need some time to process what I just saw and figure out a nice way of not discouraging the fanbase.
Attachments
Screenshot_20221128-081546_Gmail.jpg
Screenshot_20221128-081546_Gmail.jpg (110.4 KiB) Viewed 2482 times
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 03 Dec 2022, 02:17

thesilverlining

Okay, so unfortunately I cannot give out any spoiler-esque details. Especially given that Sly visits this page himself, I want to be respectful of his body of work. I highly encourage everyone to give EX4 a shot so they can develop their own opinion and have their own experience with it. Any and all of my opinions are solely mine and since we all have different taste in film, my opinion truly holds no merit. That being said...

I did not enjoy the film in any way, shape or form. I have quite the laundry list of things I didn't like, and without going into detail, many/most of them have already been stated as concerns on this forum.

Also, did you get to fill out one of those test-screenings forms where you answer various questions about "the movie you just saw"?
thesilverlining

Yes, I did. I was very honest and gave pretty critical feedback. A few things I can answer...

- Sly's screentime is minimal as discussed in this forum.
- CGI was still a work in progress so I can't definitely say it was a problem until I see the finished product.
- Yes, it did feel DTV.
- There were some different approaches with character development that were refreshing, but the approach felt off.
- This is still very early on; reshoots and more work could be done to improve the film. That's why I encourage seeing the film to develop your own conclusions. A lot can change.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby alex.sp89 on 03 Dec 2022, 13:39

Well it already stinks taking in considering it wrapped exactly one year ago and no teaser and nothing.

Indiana Jones 5 also feels a mess after test screening this fall. Lets see how Avatar 2 is going to recover the budget. Anyway I think Cameron and Landau are smart to shot in bulk 3-4 sequels at the same time with one budget - because it is cheaper than to make a new one 2-3 years after.

Or it is just a strategy of bad mouth to say ahead of the time that it is going to tank and later on SURPRISE the movie actually is very good. I do not know. I wish Sly could film some more stuff during re-shots incorporate him into the film more vastly if it is possible.
100 mil. budget movie with unexperienced crew and director it is crazy in my opinion. When Sly was the head on the first movie everything was fine, later on all this new advisors on seq. destroyed the franchise... Trust the filmmakers prof. not this so called producers and wasters of time who speak in vane...
alex.sp89

Postby Jox on 04 Dec 2022, 01:45

https://craigzablo.proboards.com/post/865796/thread
"how 'roughly' long was the film?" - Almost (2) hours
"same with the tone, comedy and dialogue" - Felt closest to Part 3, more R rated in terms of dialogue
"Is it explained why the new people are there like 50 cent and Fox, etc, and no Li, Crews or Snipes, etc?" - Not really

I want to add that my reviews/opinions are based off how consequential the tone/story/stakes are. I need some type of catalyst that will make me care. Think "Tears of the Sun"; that team was "expendable". If everything is safe and by the numbers, it's hard for me to resonate with any type of film and chances are I'm going to forget it after a good night's rest. EX1's tone was serious enough that I was able to forgive the lack of consequences (character sacrifice). EX2's star power was enough for me to forgive the tonal shift and lack of consequence. EX3 completely lost me and EX4 just sealed the deal. What this franchise needed was a director with "vision and experience", someone to capture the gold in these moments. EX2/3/4 all didn't know how to take advantage of what they had (JCVD, Gibson, Li, Snipes, etc.). Had these films had a competent director like McTiernan, well, you can imagine these guys would be placed in amazing circumstances/magic moments. If new vision was a necessity, then filmmakers like Stahelski (Wick), Hargrave (Extract), Evans (Raid), and Naishuller (Nobody) would have shot the action in competent and coherent fashion. In the end, most of the entries in this franchise just didn't know how to properly stage their sequences and get the most out of them.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby preacher on 06 Dec 2022, 09:23

Ouch.
EX4 seems doomed to suck.

I had some foolish hope this one would be better. That Stathams larger influence and it being so long after number 3 would make the powers that be rethink their approach. Sad but predictable I guess.
preacher
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies