ELECTRIC BOOGALOO (Mark Hartley, 2014, documentary)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films

Postby Jox on 24 Sep 2014, 10:53

“We were in communication with Jean-Claude for quite a while and I don’t know what happened. We were going to fly to China to interview him and suddenly communication stopped at the last minute,”

Hartley and his executive producer, Brett Ratner, also failed to score an interview with Sylvester Stallone about his work with Cannon, a notorious flop called Over The Top, despite desperate efforts on Ratner’s part. Over The Top was supposed to do for arm wrestling what Rocky did for boxing in Hollywood. Shockingly, it didn’t. Somewhat less shockingly, Stallone is not very eager to revisit that period in his life.

“Even Ratner, who had been a producer on Grudge Match, couldn’t recruit Sly. We have to remember that this was a film that was the first big failure of Stalone’s career. At that point, he was the biggest box office star in the world, and this was the first failure he had. It grossed less than Rhinestone to put it in perspective.”

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/ninjas-a ... nnon-films

Like I thought, we can imagine the same kinda happen with Chuck Norris. They lucked out on getting Dolph, it almot didn't happen as he was making SKIN TRADE but they managed to meet him in Bangkok when he came back there for post.

EDIT:
How did you feel when you find out the cousins were making their own film and how did that impact Electric Boogaloo?

First of all I was VERY upset about that, because I had spent so long researching this documentary and obliviously I thought they were an intrinsic part of it. It was originally supposed to be the Menahem and Yoram story and when we couldn’t get them the film changed into something different. I think the film changed for the better to tell you the truth.

It’s to the documentary’s benefit that you don’t see them there, we only get this picture of these guys at the height of their power in the 80s. I also think there was definitely enough archival material included that you really got a good sense of who these guys were. There is nothing to detract from the stories of them and the images of them when they were running Cannon and it also makes it a bit more emotional when you see the images of them at the very end now and you realize age catches up with everyone.

http://cinapse.co/2014/09/22/fantastic- ... non-films/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 27 Sep 2014, 10:51

At Sitges Fantastic Film festival on October 5th & 6th (as the other self-produced Cannon documentary GO-GO BOYS)
http://sitgesfilmfestival.com/eng/film/?id=10003366
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 04 Oct 2014, 17:12

Final trailer (same as above but you have to see the last few secs) ;)
http://vimeo.com/107973282

Jox
Site Admin

Postby DRC2013 on 04 Oct 2014, 18:48

One of the interviewees in the trailer claims that Sly supposedly saw clips or dailies of Masters of the Universe and said (of Dolph) "You gave that guy lines?" in a dismissive tone.

I wonder if that's true? I find that comment to be pretty odd coming from Sly, who just worked with him on Rocky IV. You would think that he would have been in good terms with Dolph, and not make negative comments like that behind his back.

Granted, that was in the beginning of Dolph's acting career, but still.
DRC2013

Postby Jox on 04 Oct 2014, 21:42

The interviewee is William Stout, the production designer, and this taken out of context but it totally is something Sly could say, as a joke. Given he had given him four lines in ROCKY IV it's kind of funny. These big guys are always making jokes and sarcastic statements. But also to be honest not many people who were on the set will say good things about Dolph's delivery (and without disrespect), and they wanted to completely re-dub him (but couldn't because of his contract) and I believe they did on a few lines which don't exactly sound like him.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 05 Oct 2014, 06:13

Jox wrote:and I believe they did on a few lines which don't exactly sound like him.

Which lines in particular? I'd love to go back and give it another watch... I actually always thought his delivery wasn't half bad, but maybe that's just me. There's a video of Dolph mc'ing at the Thanksgiving day parade where some actors are staging a MOTU reenactment from '87. You really can't even detect an accent (at least in my opinion...).
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 05 Oct 2014, 11:06

savagesketch wrote:Which lines in particular? I'd love to go back and give it another watch...

I'll have to watch it again myself.

http://www.needtoconsume.com/film/mark- ... -boogaloo/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 09 Oct 2014, 10:34

Trailer for THE GO-GO BOYS, the other doc on Cannon that Golan & Globus unofficially produced themselves to beat ELECTRIC BOOGALOO to it and also control the profits (if any). This one focuses more on their relationship than the movies, despite what the trailer suggests. Golan also almost insults the director on camera when she wants to talk about mishaps and failures. But there's isn't much Dolph apart from small MOTU clips (which is not even discussed). The doc also uses maybe too much footage from the 1986 BBC doc THE LAST MOGULS (which is also used in ELECTRIC but much subtlely).
http://vimeo.com/107189186
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 15 Oct 2014, 22:27

So if there's a date for an Australian release, can a US release be not too far off? Does this even have a US distributor yet? I'm REALLY looking forward to this one...
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 16 Oct 2014, 00:44

It's an Australian film so they got priority, they premiered it first and right now it's in a couple theaters over there. The movie has been premiering in festivals worldwide in the past couple of months, then it's up to each distributor to decide of their release but none has been announced yet. But it seems Brett Ratner's company (who helped producing/funding it) will release it in the States.

I saw it here at a festival and it's quite good and enjoyable, just needs to be twice as long because there are so many interviewees and stories to tell (so in 107 mins it's a fast ride, too fast).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 25 Oct 2014, 01:21

AFM screening on Saturday, Nov. 8th - 9:00 AM - Broadway Cineplex #4
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 30 Oct 2014, 11:14

Umbrella Entertainment
A brief update on the upcoming DVD release of Electric Boogaloo.

----
We have received a number of enquiries in the lead-up to the release of Electric Boogaloo on DVD regarding extras that will be on the disk.
Unfortunately at the time of mastering the DVD, the extras were still being finalised, so there are none on the DVD itself.

BUT…

We’ve sprung into action and have come up with a plan to get these extras to you!

Once all the footage is finalised, we will make it available to view online and will provide instructions on how to gain access to it.
Expect an announcement here on our Facebook page next week detailing how this will work.

IN THE MEANTIME…

A taste of what’s in store:
• Extended and deleted interviews
• A compilation of all the Cannon movie trailers

So, stay tuned and expect to get the low down next week!
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies