SHARK LAKE (Jerry Dugan, 2015)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: SHARK LAKE (Jerry Dugan, 2015)

Postby Dida on 06 Oct 2015, 17:13

If he dies....he dies....
Dida

Postby bomaz on 06 Oct 2015, 17:40

I was wondering if Dolph now has a "theatrical release" line in his contract for some of his new movies, making it compulsory for the movie to be broadcast on at least 1 theatrical screen for audiences (outside of a festival). I know some actors have this kind of line in their contracts (the first exemple popping in my mind is Tom Sizemore some years ago)
bomaz

Postby Jox on 06 Oct 2015, 17:48

Are you sure? As far as I know that's not possible to do such a thing because you can't force the distributors to contractually do such a thing (which also depends on their deals with the cinemas, like SHARK LAKE's Screen Media and AMD Theaters) and from what I know from him he doesn't control anything and never know how it's gonna be (even when theatrical seems locked for at least 6-8 cities, Magnolia only got one engagement for ST wit one show which is BS if you think of all the promo they did and how WAR PIGS and SHARK LAKE managed to get 10 screens each)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 06 Oct 2015, 18:10

I'm not "sure", but i read some articles going that way (especially one on the record for the lowest income per theater, which was a Tom Sizemore movie that did 5$ per theater or something like that, the release taking place only to respect this line in the contract).
Maybe I didn't understand everything in the articles. I'll try to find it and read it again, it's way possible I read the wrong way :wink:
bomaz

Postby savagesketch on 07 Oct 2015, 01:24

Pretty sure Dolph doesn't have this in his contract. I think it has more to do with the DTV and VOD market today. By releasing it in just a few theatres, it becomes considered a "theatrical release" and is eligible for various festivals and potential awards. Plus, it's opportunity for potentially a little more money in the distributor's pockets if it gets in a few theaters.
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 07 Oct 2015, 10:48

How do you expect them to make any money from such low profile releases? They can't (plus they have to leave 50% to the cinema) that makes them losing money. But what I think is it's more part of the marketing budget, so it gets reviewed, gets a little more talked about and will promote the VOD...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Travis on 26 Oct 2015, 17:18

I think I'm gonna skip this one.
Travis
Regular

Postby lt.brannigan on 28 Nov 2015, 21:55

It's now $9.99, down from $14.99 when it was first listed.
lt.brannigan

Postby Jox on 01 Dec 2015, 11:47

TV premiere on Asian channel Thrill on December 7th (Hong Kong, Singapore, Philipines, Thailand, Indonesia)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby lt.brannigan on 02 Dec 2015, 03:44

Having just received this title, I can confirm the Best Buy Blu-Ray is region A locked.
lt.brannigan

Postby lt.brannigan on 04 Dec 2015, 22:29

This is a downright bad movie, the main focus is on the female cop with Dolph barely factoring into the movie at all. I would estimate he has maybe 10-12 minutes screen time in the movie. He's seen briefly in the beginning of the movie and then disappears for about 13 minutes where we get another scene. He appears very sporadically in the movie, and is definitely the best thing about the it.

The CGI is horrible, especially the CGI blood, the green screen composition is hysterical, most of the dialogue is painful. This entire production seems as if it was done by people who had the equipment but lacked the talent and skill to actually make a movie. The cinematography is competent but very uninspired, as if they just set up the camera to get the shot and didn't really care about style or composition.

The actors, with the exception of Dolph and the little girl who plays his daughter, are terrible. The acting is cringe worthy throughout except when focus is briefly on Dolph. Dolph is way too good for productions like this and he is underused and completely miscast, ideally he would have been the outsider who came to save the day, enabling him to put his full charm on display. However then we would have missed the heartwarming scenes with him and his daughter, Dolph has very good chemistry with her. It's a shame they kept them part till the very end.

I recommend this movie for the one badass scene that Dolph has when he's threatened by a couple of thugs in his cabin. That scene is awesome enough that you wish the entire movie would have just focused on him bringing down James Chalke's criminal empire and punching a shark. I never thought I would have to describe a scene in which "Dolph Lundgren punches a shark". You would think that a movie with a description like that would be awesome, but noooooo, instead we get a lousy terrible movie.

Though this movie was only 93 minutes, it felt like an eternity. My rating, 2/10
lt.brannigan

Postby Moltisanti on 05 Dec 2015, 03:41

I'm sorry you had to endure that, but I enjoyed reading the review.
Moltisanti
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies