WAR PIGS (Ryan Little, 2015)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

WAR PIGS (Ryan Little, 2015)

Postby Jox on 06 Sep 2014, 17:01

This is the World War II project that Dolph is gonna shoot this fall after THE LAKE. The director, Ryan Little, apparently successfully made several low budget war movies, notably the SAINTS AND SOLDIERS series which spawned three films since 2003, the latest currently having a limited theatrical release in the States.

http://www.thefilmcatalogue.com/catalog ... p?id=18212

Logline:
A rag tag unit of misfits known as the War Pigs must go behind enemy lines to exterminate Nazis by any means necessary.

Sounds like INGLORIOUS BASTARDS meets THE EXPENDABLES...

Here are some early promo photos and teaser artworks (not sure Dolph was already attached when they were made):

https://www.behance.net/gallery/1869370 ... ser-Photos

https://www.facebook.com/ManTheLine/pos ... 6692295503

Jox
Site Admin

Re: WAR PIGS (Ryan Little, 2014-2015) (in pre-production)

Postby Nathan on 10 Sep 2014, 00:13

Finally something that looks as if it might be half decent. Having just seen A Certain Justice and being totally appalled by how poor it was (just a ghastly film all round, Dolph doesn't belong in it) and not being particularly enthralled by The Lake (right now it just sounds like it could be another tiresome DTV horror) I'm glad there is finally something that sounds interesting in the pipeline. I'm fed up with the bit parts like A Certain Justice and his borderline cameo in The Expendables 3 that I'm keen to see him actually get the chance to act in an actual role.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Tom on 11 Sep 2014, 16:31

I hope this is done well and treated well. Sounds a potentially cool idea. Dolph would have been awesome in something like Inglorious (original and QT version). I agree with Nathan, it's certainly more interesting than another run of the mill crime action film.
I'd like to see some good casting in this. Some good younger actors and maybe someone cool and a bit of a cult icon like Dolph in addition. Someone like Michael Biehn would be good.
Tom
Regular

Postby bomaz on 14 Sep 2014, 19:31

Some casting announcement soon (teased by the director on FB). My guesses : Luke Goss, Wass Stevens and Cuck Liddell (last one confimed by the imdb page).
bomaz

Postby Moltisanti on 15 Sep 2014, 00:01

Interesting. Seems to imply that Mickey Rourke and Luke Goss will be involved. Though I can't fathom who from KICK ASS 2 would be in this, at least from the starring cast.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Moltisanti on 15 Sep 2014, 00:12

Okay, I see. Chuck Liddell was in KICK ASS 2 as himself.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 15 Sep 2014, 01:05

And Wass Stevens in THE WRESTLER (more realistic than Rourke I guess even though he can be in anything).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 16 Sep 2014, 18:41

Seems like they're going to launch a kickstarter campaign for the movie. (i'm always confused about these campaigns ... :? )
bomaz

Postby Tom on 16 Sep 2014, 20:06

bomaz wrote:Seems like they're going to launch a kickstarter campaign for the movie. (i'm always confused about these campaigns ... :? )

I'm not a fan of these campaigns. Especially not when established artists use it. I can understand why someone starting out, trying to make a break, might use it, but we're talking a film that's going to star Dolph Lundgren. It's kind of amatuerish.
I dunno. Maybe this is going to be the new evolution of funding, and indeed less and less indie films seem to get funding these days, but it's not the best way to go about things. I suppose in some way it does give you a very early idea about just how much interest there will be in the film once it's finished. If War Pigs producers try to raise say $1 million and get their total, then you can assume that people want to watch it. If it falls embarrassingly short of its target (as many do), then it doesn't bode well for sales potential.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 17 Sep 2014, 10:14

Hummm I don't see what the big deal is.

1/ we haven't seen the campaign yet

2/ these don't take away from other indie projects (unlike what some people think)

3/ you know as much as I do most Dolph movies aren't made for much money and would actually profit more funding to polish post-production, effects and sound mix notably. (By the way a "movie starring DL" doesn't mean much, especially not big bucks to make it, maybe a bit to pay him but the rest is no more than any small movie made on scale)

4/ I've just seen Zach Braff's I WISH I WAS THERE which was completely funded like this and loved it, while it was no surprise nobody else would give him the money to do it given what it's about (which is not the cheesy quirky flick the terrible trailer is selling)

5/ Yes it seems is going to be a good part of film funding from now on and this isn't necessarily a bad thing (I'd be glad to support projects i actually want to get made and be like a bird who opens his mouth to be fed crap)

6/ It's not Dolph doing this but indie producers trying to make a better movie out of it (and this is a WWII movie we're talking about), not sure they get enough from the guys who co-produced, quickly edited and sold BLOOD OF REDEMPTION (WMI Worldwide)

7/ the result of the campaign doesn't necessarily mean anything as it mostly depends on how they handle it to get some buzz, social media engagement etc
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 17 Sep 2014, 11:45

I guess it bugs me mostly because it's part of a sign that money just isn't being put into film anymore. You'll have a few dozen big hollywood blockbusters eating up all the money with their budgets, but below that it's just a huge struggle. It's really bad in the UK at the moment. Independent film-making is suffering from lack of investment, which leaves people turning to places like Kickstarter. I like the aspect of involving your potential audience in production. That, if done right (and I hope WP does) is a good thing.

The problem is, Kickstarter 99/100 is a pointless exercise.

I suppose it's bugging me more right now because I'm in the midst of making a film myself and myself and the director have had to fund it completely ourselves. The intention of kickstarter, indiegogo etc was to help up and coming talent get films made. The problem is though that people won't donate to a project that isn't backed up by a track record. Obviously it works for Zach Braff because he's so well established and has legions of fans willing to give up a couple of dollars. Or this guy known on youtube as the Angry Video Game Nerd built up a fan base to the point he was able to raise the budget for a film spinoff of his internet persona. Again though he had years to build up enough of a reputation and fanbase and also offered sensible prizes.

If your trying to use kickstarter to get your first major project made, you've got very little chance of the campaign being successful. Which is a shame.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 17 Sep 2014, 18:58

It's been changing for a while now, and we don't know where it's going, whether for funding or distribution... One thing for sure is you can't rely on the old business model and gotta play smart.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 17 Sep 2014, 20:12

Well, my point of view on the matter is biased : I know more of music "tip in" campaign, because for like a year or two, EVERY band in my field of work used these campaign, with more or less success, and more or less originality and goals. On this field, I just took part in one project (and it wasn't even a french one :( ).
As for movies, I've just took part in one campaign (but a one that give you your money plus a percentage, all of that only if the movie works). So my final word would be to "wait and see" and I withdraw my confusion on the matter ;). Selfishly, if the rewards are interesting, I might tip in (if my pay roll allows me to :oops: ).
bomaz

Postby Tom on 17 Sep 2014, 21:40

Just think though guys, depending on how much they ask for, there's the chance to buy a producer credit on a DL film! ha ha.
I'd actually be quite tempted, but I'd have to win the lottery first.
Tom
Regular

Next

Return to Dolph's Movies