4GOT10 /The Good, the Bad and the Dead (T Woodward Jr, 2015)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 4GOT10 (Timothy Woodward Jr, 2015)

Postby Moltisanti on 07 Oct 2015, 08:49

4ROT10. Not much more to say about this one.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Travis on 07 Oct 2015, 19:59

That review just kind of seemed mean. It was accurate about the movie, but it just seemed mean-spirited.
Travis
Regular

Postby Ivan, Jr. on 07 Oct 2015, 20:37

Just picked up my copy of 4GOT10. It's on sale for $7.99 DVD or $9.99 BluRay at Best Buy (in the US)
"I'll take four of you pussies with me......and you know it!" - Granger(Dolph), In The Name Of The King 2
Ivan, Jr.

Postby savagesketch on 07 Oct 2015, 21:38

Ivan, Jr. wrote:Just picked up my copy of 4GOT10. It's on sale for $7.99 DVD or $9.99 BluRay at Best Buy (in the US)

As you'll soon discover, there's a reason why it's so incredibly cheap... especially for a new release. Recommended for a one-time rental.

Travis wrote:That review just kind of seemed mean. It was accurate about the movie, but it just seemed mean-spirited.

Don't think it was exactly mean-spirited. It was just honest. The film is pretty abysmal and easily forgettable.
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 07 Oct 2015, 21:47

Travis wrote:That review just kind of seemed mean. It was accurate about the movie, but it just seemed mean-spirited.

Not as much as the reviews of this and SHARK LAKE on Manlymovie.net who can't seem to be able to avoid the F word anytime they "write" something (which then reads like amateur and rude fan rants more than anything else)... But writing a review of a bad movie with professionalism and class isn't at the hand of just anybody I guess!

Here's a review of the technical specs:
Video Rating: 4.5/5 3D Rating: NA

For its brief theatrical run and now on home video, the film is framed at 2.35:1 and is presented in 1080p using the AVC codec. Apart from some mottled darker scenes where black levels crush shadow detail, the visuals here are quite excellent with very good sharpness and color which appears solid and natural. Contrast has been consistently applied to the picture. The film has been divided into 8 chapters.

Audio Rating: 4/5

The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 sound mix uses Sid De La Cruz’s twangy background score to traverse the widest reaches of its soundstage. Dialogue has been well recorded and has been placed in the center channel. There are some split effects during shootouts, but the film’s low budget makes itself felt here as the channels don’t get the kind of explosive use that distinguishes the best action-oriented pictures from their less sophisticated siblings.

Special Features: 2/5

Behind the Scenes (18:03, HD): director Timothy Woodward Jr. discusses the basic plot of the movie and then spends a generous amount of time praising all of the stars in his cast. There is ample behind-the-scenes footage of the staging and filming taking place, and stars Dolph Lundgren and Danny Trejo offer a few soundbites of their own.

Deleted Scenes (2:53, HD): six brief scenes including an alternate ending may be watched separately or in montage.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/article ... view-r1238
Jox
Site Admin

Re: 4GOT10 (Timothy Woodward Jr, 2015) (completed)

Postby Jox on 14 Oct 2015, 01:21

savagesketch wrote:Just got finished watching this one. Sadly, it's another disappointment. Maybe not as bad as the Serafini trio of films (only a hair better), but it still has a misogynistic undertone and utilizes the same 'ol method of freezing the frame and flashing the characters' names as they walk on screen (which wore out its welcome years ago; lazy way to tell a story imho). As you can imagine, Dolph is barely in it. And when he does, the picture really doesn't get any more exciting. Its cliche after cliche, where the "name" stars show up, spout their line(s) of exposition dialogue, then leave. Clearly low budget and shot over the course of a weekend. On a side note, there's absolutely no reason for Vivica A. Fox to be in this... At all.

I just got the Blu-ray, watched it and I don't know what to make of it...

No, actually it pissed me off and ruined my quiet evening before a good night sleep!

The shame is that the bad takes over the good... and it makes me hate Tarantino and the likes even more for deluding immature writers and directors into thinking they can get away with making a film just by destructuring the timeline. And no, guys holding and shooting a gun don't make a "cool movie"!

These movies, even when they were bad, used to tell something (this doesn't, and I don't remember a Dolph film being only about "getting the money"). People don't seem to know how to tell real stories about their protagonists anymore, at least in these genre / action flicks.

It's like it doesn't tell anything really, there's no "journey", as the director puts it in the really bad featurette that comes with it (he tells the starting point of the movie three times in a row before commenting on something else, and the featurette is not even properly edited, mixed and finished, with some voice-over track coming on the main sound track, not mentioning it fills the time by showing you long clips of the movie you've just seen), and too many characters to follow the protagonist and yeah, it's quite offensive and aggressive (not only the protagonist seem to only be able to have sex by sodomy, but it has to come with again some ridiculous hard rock music, and don't even mention some of the worst shout-outs with the lamest bullet times and slow-mo ever committed. Vivica Fox also puts out the worst performance of a DA (or whatever her title in the police is) ever.

I see where Dolph was coming from, but I'm afraid it doesn't all comes through (and again not enough to get his teeth on despite what he saw), in some way these past few years I feel the more he tries the worse he's getting acting-wise sometimes.

On the other end, the DP and his Blackmagic camera are very good and manage to make it look better than it should, the music is more than decent (except during the night shoot out where it switches to another ridiculous rock-ish score) even though it's too on the nose in its choice of western spaghetti rip off like in KILL BILL, and the main title credits almost fooled me into thinking the film might be better more artsy than expected...

My advice: wait for a youtube compilation of Dolph's scenes (who by the way shows up way more than I expected given his mere two/three days shoot).

I hope Dolph doesn't get to do another movie with Woodward because the guy also seems to keep hiring the same people over and over...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 14 Oct 2015, 20:40

The first feature film shot with the Blackmagic URSA digital camera, this is one of the best things about the movie which sometimes looks like it was shot on film and well color-graded with a look that couldn't be achieved on such a low budget 15 years ago.
http://www.hybridcamerarevolution.com/2 ... magic.html
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/press/ ... 0151009-01
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 14 Oct 2015, 22:59

Jox wrote:
savagesketch wrote:Just got finished watching this one. Sadly, it's another disappointment. Maybe not as bad as the Serafini trio of films (only a hair better), but it still has a misogynistic undertone and utilizes the same 'ol method of freezing the frame and flashing the characters' names as they walk on screen (which wore out its welcome years ago; lazy way to tell a story imho). As you can imagine, Dolph is barely in it. And when he does, the picture really doesn't get any more exciting. Its cliche after cliche, where the "name" stars show up, spout their line(s) of exposition dialogue, then leave. Clearly low budget and shot over the course of a weekend. On a side note, there's absolutely no reason for Vivica A. Fox to be in this... At all.

I just got the Blu-ray, watched it and I don't know what to make of it...

No, actually it pissed me off and ruined my quiet evening before a good night sleep!

The shame is that the bad takes over the good... and it makes me hate Tarantino and the likes even more for deluding immature writers and directors into thinking they can get away with making a film just by destructuring the timeline. And no, guys holding and shooting a gun don't make a "cool movie"!

These movies, even when they were bad, used to tell something (this doesn't, and I don't remember a Dolph film being only about "getting the money"). People don't seem to know how to tell real stories about their protagonists anymore, at least in these genre / action flicks.

It's like it doesn't tell anything really, there's no "journey", as the director puts it in the really bad featurette that comes with it (he tells the starting point of the movie three times in a row before commenting on something else, and the featurette is not even properly edited, mixed and finished, with some voice-over track coming on the main sound track, not mentioning it fills the time by showing you long clips of the movie you've just seen), and too many characters to follow the protagonist and yeah, it's quite offensive and aggressive (not only the protagonist seem to only be able to have sex by sodomy, but it has to come with again some ridiculous hard rock music, and don't even mention some of the worst shout-outs with the lamest bullet times and slow-mo ever committed. Vivica Fox also puts out the worst performance of a DA (or whatever her title in the police is) ever.

I see where Dolph was coming from, but I'm afraid it doesn't all comes through (and again not enough to get his teeth on despite what he saw), in some way these past few years I feel the more he tries the worse he's getting acting-wise sometimes.

On the other end, the DP and his Blackmagic camera are very good and manage to make it look better than it should, the music is more than decent (except during the night shoot out where it switches to another ridiculous rock-ish score) even though it's too on the nose in its choice of western spaghetti rip off like in KILL BILL, and the main title credits almost fooled me into thinking the film might be better more artsy than expected...

My advice: wait for a youtube compilation of Dolph's scenes (who by the way shows up way more than I expected given his mere two/three days shoot).

I hope Dolph doesn't get to do another movie with Woodward because the guy also seems to keep hiring the same people over and over...

The Tarantino-esque wannabe nature of the film is certainly an annoyance. What turned me off is how cheap and rushed the whole thing is. Granted, the script is riddled with cliches, but the story itself does have legs and it could work. Unfortunately, you can't do justice to a generic cliche script under such a tight shooting schedule. No time for character development, character arc, etc. It all comes across as rushed and as a result, affects the film. Then again, other films in Dolph's wheelhouse have proven that one can do a generic script under tight shooting schedules (ONE IN THE CHAMBER, THE PACKAGE), yet those had directors who know how to make use of the budget and schedule. Despite this one having a decent enough cast, it's apparent that they were all on set for a few days and quickly cashing their checks. This had the same production value and feel of the Serafini trio, and that's not a good thing. If there's a way Dolph can please stay away from either of these directors again, it would work to his advantage. But I can't support such low-rent, ugly, and annoying productions anymore. Dolph deserves better.
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 15 Oct 2015, 00:05

savagesketch wrote: Unfortunately, you can't do justice to a generic cliche script under such a tight shooting schedule. No time for character development, character arc, etc.

Granted a two-weeks schedule is too short, but that doesn't necessarily an effect on the character development and arcs. Even on 4-6 weeks schedules they don't have time, and rarely do on action movies anyway, to rehearse or shoot more than 2-3 takes max.

The bigger issue comes from the (suspicious) intentions and the writing itself, lacking both taste and talent. Was it to write for a low budget to be shot quickly on just a few locations and an ensemble of names, do a pseudo neo-spaghetti-western full of Tarantino/Rodriguez gimmicks that they copied/pastes themselves, make a quick bucks and a get a credited feature film made?

Like you said, it could work, and for instance I would be a sucker for a Dolph vehicle where he plays a character who lost his memory, but with some kind of deeper existentialist theme that goes along the action and the plot. And this can't be done in a wannabe ensemble film of 80 mins, or give it all the characters, structure and plot some real justification.

When you take past failures like PENTATHLON and some of the projects back then two years of development, polishes and rewrites before it got filmed (granted for better or for worse, but there was time and thought spent on it whether wisely or not, and with some other issues production-wise) by some experienced writers who a general culture and education that the newer generation doesn't have. And I think even as bad as it could get in the end, there was always something that remained behind, to support and make these projects at least somewhat watchable.

Whereas these self-made (Woodward produced and directed 4GOT10 through his own company) flicks don't have that development time frame nor the producers to push them the same way. Their only goal in these 4GOT10 and the likes, as for most wannabe film student and filmmaker in LA (and I've experienced it from my own eyes), is to get an excuse of a film made and released, no matter what it is (and in LA there's no wrong in making a buck with a product, as long as someone buys it, nobody cares if it's good, you're assessed on if you made money out of it otherwise if you're pursuing things for the sake of art or intellectual interest you're considered a loser). Even the featurette is has hollow as the film...

The years 2010(post-EX1) to 2015 will have been rather dark times (and I miss the the rather inoffensive late 1990s early 2000s comparably), and it seems we'll now have to wait every few years for enlightenment, with SKIN TRADE and hopefully sooner than later WITHOUT YOU I'M NOTHING and NORDIC LIGHT...

Anyway let's not even waste our time and energy to discuss this thing further.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Travis on 26 Oct 2015, 17:22

I don't think I dislike this movie as much as you guys. It's funny, I have noticed a lot of the films you guys dislike are the ones I like the most and a lot of the ones you like are the ones I dislike.

To me, this movie isn't bad. It just isn't good. If this were released in the 90s, I think it would be more wel-received. I think people expect more these days though.
Travis
Regular

Postby Jox on 02 Dec 2015, 10:51

Director Timothy Woodward Jr interview and behind the scenes footage
(Much better than the featurette on the BR/DVD release)
https://vimeo.com/145491198
http://hdslrshooter.com/filmmaker-profi ... jr-4got10/
Interestingly he says the bullet effects are done in camera -with no CGI- but that stills doesn't justify its uselessness or its ugliness IMHO. (and I'm sorry if I'm hurting the feelings of anybody who worked on the project)

Behind the scenes stills

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 27 Dec 2015, 11:37

Theatrical release in United Arab Emirates on December 31
http://www.timeoutdubai.com/competition ... d-the-dead

(click to enlarge)
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies