RIOT (John Lyde, 2015)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: RIOT (John Lyde, 2015)

Postby Jox on 16 Apr 2016, 12:10

US Blu-ray review
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Riot-Blu- ... 95/#Review
Video Quality
Riot's 1080p transfer impresses, particularly for a lower budget DTV title. The digital source photography captures plenty of intimate details. Skin textures are particularly revealing -- pores, tattoos, wrinkles -- but so too are grimy cinder block walls, worn prison jump suits, and other little background and accentuating details that enjoy pinpoint clarity across the board. Colors are satisfying. The most prominent color in the movie is orange by way of the prison uniform. The orange is striking, particularly standing out against an otherwise dreary color scheme within prison walls and other assorted backgrounds that are cobbled together of bland, pedestrian shades. Various shots outside of the prison yield a satisfying, but unremarkable, color scheme and presentation. Skin tones and black levels raise no alarms. Noise ranges from mild to moderate and aliasing can be severe, particularly in city exterior shots that appear to be digitally crafted rather than photographed in real life.

Audio Quality
Riot features a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 lossless soundtrack that's always finding a means of engaging the surrounds and providing plenty of listening entertainment. For a relatively small movie, the sound design proves rather involved, even if it's just in the recreation of various buzzing alarms, slamming prison cell doors, and other environment-specific details. Action scenes are likewise appropriately chaotic, with crashes, punches, smashes, screams, and general action din altogether yielding an engaging experience that makes the job of transforming the listening area into the prison relatively simple. Music is fine, enjoying quality spacing along the front. Mild surround support is apparent, and the low end is suitably potent. Dialogue is clear and accurate, enjoying excellent prioritization and natural center placement. A few lines emanate from the sides in an effort to engender better spatial awareness.

Special Features and Extras n/a
Riot contains no supplemental content. A voucher for a UV/iTunes digital copy is included with purchase.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 22 Apr 2016, 00:38

Get your tickets in Kazakhstan
https://ticketon.kz/en/event/jack-stone
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 23 Jun 2016, 17:35

Theatrical release in the Philippines on June 29
http://pop.inquirer.net/2016/06/prison- ... n-june-29/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Travis on 24 Jun 2016, 09:56

Jox wrote:UNNECESSARY QUOTE

I could go see it in the theater but I think I am gonna skip it.
Travis
Regular

Postby Jox on 02 Aug 2016, 21:19

Again Germany gets a 2D and 3D edition thanks to Tiberius Film (December release) and it's called CAGED TO KILL...

Image Image
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 25 Oct 2016, 16:30

Original music cues from composer James Schaefer
http://www.james-schafer.com/music
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 13 Dec 2016, 19:13

Korean poster (limited theatrical)

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Scifibuff5 on 01 Jun 2017, 19:19

Finally got around to seeing this one. I have no issues with it and while it's no Escape Plan, it's definitely far more shameless and surprisingly classier than say other franchises such as Half Past Dead, Escape Plan or Bloodfist. Yes, Dolph isn't the main character but he still has an intriguing role to tackle, the action never lets up and the film is never dull.
"No, I haven't seen any of [the new 'Punisher' movies]," - Dolph in 2009 MTV News Interview
Scifibuff5

Postby Mosquito on 14 Apr 2019, 21:33

Just saw it in order to fill my Dolph filmography gaps that have accrued over the last years. I had never noticed Matthew Reese before. I liked him, it was a good performance. Not a must-see movie though. :wink:
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 25 Mar 2020, 06:52

With many being self-quarantined and practicing "social distancing" due to the Coronavirus pandemic, what better reason to stay inside and check out the latest episode of the podcast, this time featuring an interview with the director of RIOT, John Lyde! Enjoy!

https://imustbreakthispodcast.wordpress ... r-of-riot/

As always, please feel free to rate and review the show on iTunes, Stitcher, or wherever else you go to subscribe!
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 26 Mar 2020, 20:32

Listened to it, my guess is that the role Dolph turned down was Chuck Liddell's (the big Russian mobster villain).

And I am not surprised Dolph came up with most of his character traits if not almost basically created the character for himself. It was so unlike anything you'd see in this kind of production. That's the only thing I enjoyed in this flick (which although well lit and choreographed I couldn't care less and had not a taste for)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 07 Nov 2022, 15:58

New episode is here! Chris Prentice joins me once again as we discuss TWO films that have Dolph infiltrating the prison system… RIOT and LARCENY! How do they hold up? Listen in to find out!

https://imustbreakthispodcast.wordpress ... ceny-riot/

As always, please feel free to rate and review the show on iTunes, Stitcher, or wherever you go to subscribe!
savagesketch

Previous

Return to Dolph's Movies