DON'T KILL IT (Mike Mendez, 2016)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: DON'T KILL IT (Mike Mendez, 2015-2016) (in pre-productio

Postby Tom on 03 Dec 2015, 17:15

I think it probably will be the case, particularly as the budget for this will probably considerably less than what The Minion was shot for. Asking on social media for free helpers/extras seems a bit cheap for me, as if the company are going into a film without the entire means to shoot what the intend to for the film.

Again this goes back to some of these low rent DTV having ideas that aren't always feasible on the sorts of budgets they raise. If this was the case 5 years ago when guys like D, JC etc were doing DTV films for around 5 million, it's more so now that budgets are significantly less.

But I do hope that the script for Don't Kill It is at least witty and doesn't take itself too seriously. And I hope they actually put some effort into making this and don't try and go too cheap. When you look at something like Shark Lake which looks utterly appalling, there's no way a discerning viewer will want to make any sort of effort to watch it (at least legally).
I watched Skin Trade again yesterday. It's not perfect but the effort is there and it looks good. I would imagine though it cost significantly more than something like Shark Lake, it may return significantly more in revenue and exposure. Shark Lake for example has been out for 2 months now and only has 280 votes on IMDB (and appalling reviews). Skin Trade conversely has over 4000 votes and reasonable reviews. Now of course there may not be an entirely direct correlation between votes and audience tally, but I think that does suggests that not too many people will watch or have interest in watching Shark Lake, whereas action fans felt compelled to watch Skin Trade. I do think audiences will respond to a film that looks like there's been a satisfactory level of effort put into it. And if you can't even cobble together a decent looking trailer because a film has been so piss poorly made, then you have no hope.

I hope they give Mendez the resources to do make as good a film as he possibly can.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 03 Dec 2015, 18:16

THE MINION was already very cheap : less than $3 million to make the film according to the director.

But yeah I'm with you.

SKIN TRADE was made for $9-10 million, which is the biggest non supporting role D had since the days of SILENT TRIGGER and THE PEACEKEEPER (and SWEEPERS) so there's no comparison.

Another thing is, low budget horror flicks can be done well (it's actually how Mendez started) but you need the time or prep to accomplish things, not mentioning the ideas and support which is rarely the case for the DTV flicks DL, VD and such make as their stardom make the flicks easily sold to cable, VOD platforms etc). The flicks I'm talking about either have no stars (being DL or VD gets in their way too often unfortunately) or a real vision behind them than just "making a small profit over sales and who cares about treating the audience smartly"...

This one has been in the pipeline since early this year and D has been quite enthusiast about the script and Mendez so who knows...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 03 Dec 2015, 19:36

Spoiler
But holy crap, just by the look of Dolph, i'm sold.
First Pic of the shooting
bomaz

Re: DON'T KILL IT (Mike Mendez, 2016) (filming)

Postby dude hallenbeck on 04 Dec 2015, 09:47

That's a great, fresh look. I hope it's a fun role for Dolph. Mendez is a talented guy so I'm hoping for the best.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Jox on 04 Dec 2015, 10:45

“I’m very excited to be working with Dolph Lundgren, Kristina Klebe [of HALLOWEEN, PROXY, DEMENTIA, opening tomorrow, and Mendez’s upcoming THE LAST HEIST] and Courtney Gains [from CHILDREN OF THE CORN] on a wild blend of action and horror with a dash of comedy. Robert Kurtzman’s Creature Corps is providing the special makeup effects. I’m very happy to be working with producers Scott Martin, Michael Slifkin and Robert Yocum of Archstone Pictures, who are allowing me the opportunity to bring some wild, bloody mayhem to the big screen. I think this is going to be a fun one!”

http://www.fangoria.com/new/first-pic-e ... t-kill-it/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 04 Dec 2015, 19:04

Sounds promising.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 05 Dec 2015, 12:29

Q&A: Kristina Klebe Talks Her Dark Role in “DEMENTIA”
FANG: Anything you can tell us about DON’T KILL IT?

KLEBE: I’m beyond excited. This character is not aggressive and/or sinister. She’s broken in her own way and has gone through a lot, but she’s the heroine. She’s the one trying to save people this time!

http://www.fangoria.com/new/qa-kristina ... -dementia/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 05 Dec 2015, 13:29

from an actor's instagram
bomaz

Postby Tom on 06 Dec 2015, 23:29

James Chalke again. That always kills my anticipation a bit for a film... :roll:
Tom
Regular

Postby lt.brannigan on 07 Dec 2015, 01:04

Personally, I enjoy it when James Chalke pops up.
lt.brannigan

Postby savagesketch on 07 Dec 2015, 06:34

Tom wrote:James Chalke again. That always kills my anticipation a bit for a film... :roll:

You're speaking my language. My thoughts exactly. I'm thinking D does a pay or play-type deal when he signs on for a new film... I'll star in your film, only if you make sure my buddy gets a role. Either that or Chalke is a producer...
savagesketch

Postby Moltisanti on 07 Dec 2015, 08:35

Somebody should do a buddy flick with Chalke and Van Damme's son.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby bomaz on 07 Dec 2015, 13:12

Well, Mr Chalke doesn't scare me at all ! He was in The Defender, Command Performance and Skin Trade so he's not necesseraly bad omen. If he can bring dough to Dolph movies that, if not, I'm not sure ha has an impact on the quality of the film.
Regarding his acting skills, he doens't appear enough for me to judge him :wink:
bomaz

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies