DON'T KILL IT (Mike Mendez, 2016)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

DON'T KILL IT (Mike Mendez, 2016)

Postby Jox on 21 Apr 2015, 17:11

Filming in the summer from the director of KILLERS (1996), THE CONVENT (2000) and BIG ASS SPIDER (2013)

When an ancient demon is accidentally unleashed in a sparsely populated Alaskan town, the only hope of survival lies in the hands of a grizzled old demon hunter Jebediah Woodley and his reluctant partner FBI agent Evelyn Pierce.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3113696/combined

Director Mike Mendez, during the BIG ASS SPIDER promo:
Your next film is "Don't Kill it!", which concerns an ancient demon in Alaska. Can you tell us a little bit about it?
It's something that I hope to do this year. We'll see if it comes together. It's a dark action movie with a lot of gory kills. I think it will be fun.

http://www.youvegotredonyou.com/#!mike-mendez/c1xyf

I am working on a movie called “Don’t Kill It,” which is a demon-hopping movie in the vein of “The Hidden,” as well as a few other fun horror projects. If it were up to me, I wouldn’t stop making movies.

http://lefthandhorror.com/2014/01/14/in ... er-murder/
Jox
Site Admin

Re: DON'T KILL IT! (Mike Mendez, 2015) (in pre-production)

Postby bomaz on 21 Apr 2015, 18:22

Shame on me, but the project is not scaring me a bit. Mike Mendez is a genuine movie fan, an honnest guy, and he delivered the goods from a teeny-tiny shitty budget with the funny-lame "Convent", and his first feature had a solid storyline. The plot even seems interesting.
I trust it to be an honnest entertainment fantastic feature.
And I didn't know Mr Chalke was becoming a producer.
bomaz

Postby Tom on 21 Apr 2015, 19:15

Sounds almost a little like It Waits.
This sounds more interesting than Riot but hopefully it's a bit grittier and more exciting than Legendary.
Tom
Regular

Postby DRC2013 on 21 Apr 2015, 19:16

I wonder if this will be a serious horror movie or more of a comedy horror? The Synopsis sounds like it could be funny if done right.

I hope Dolph plays the demon hunter part.
DRC2013

Postby Jox on 21 Apr 2015, 19:28

Comedy or gritty this is supposed to be over-the-top violent
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 22 Apr 2015, 02:26

Reminds me a bit of THE MINION, though hopefully way better. The name "Jebediah Woodley" sounds like an ideal Lundgren character.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Tom on 22 Apr 2015, 02:53

Big Ass Spider has a fairly decent rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Seems to be in the Snakes On A Plane mould. Not too serious and kind of goofy. A Corman throwback. I wonder if they'll go for the same tone here. That could work well for Dolph (if done well, and not like Sharknado which didn't have wit).
If they do take it seriously, it could still be interesting to see Dolph do a horror film.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 22 Apr 2015, 12:28

Moltisanti wrote:Reminds me a bit of THE MINION, though hopefully way better.

Yeah but there's a twist or difference that disctinguishes it from THE MINION and makes it quite interesting actually (hence a conflict sort of "kill it but don't kill it")...

Regarding THE MINION by the way, one big issue is that I think they kind of changed the original concept to make it more action/adventure oriented than horror (and maybe it's why Italian horror director Michele Soavi left) and the director complained they didn't have money for blood squibs (and more visual effetcs obviously, the demon/devil being more impressive on the poster the film)!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 25 Apr 2015, 10:12

This wouldn't be my ideal choice for a Dolph project, but from what I've heard Big Ass Spider! is actually pretty well regarded.
dude hallenbeck

Re: DON'T KILL IT (Mike Mendez, 2015) (in pre-production)

Postby Jox on 08 May 2015, 10:40

Cannes: Dolph Lundgren to Star as Demon Hunter in ‘Don’t Kill It’

Dave McNary
Film Reporter
@Variety_DMcNary

Dolph Lundgren is starring in horror-thriller “Don’t Kill It,” playing a demon hunter in Alaska with production starting in July.

Archstone Distribution has acquired worldwide sales rights to the feature and will launch sales at Cannes.

Mike Mendez, who directed “Big Ass Spider!,” is directing from a script by Dan Berk and Robert Olsen of Last Pictures. Lundgren’s demon hunter will team with a reluctant FBI agent to battle an ancient evil unleashed in a small Alaskan town, leaving a trail of death and destruction as it passes from host to host.

Producers are Robert Yocum of Burning Sky Films and Jeff Spilman. Lundgren starred in the last two “Expendables” films and “Skin Trade” with Tony Jaa.

The Swedish actor is repped by Gersh, Craig Baumgarten of Link Entertainment and attorney Eric Brooks.
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/canne ... 201490342/

http://screendaily.com/5087579.article

http://twitchfilm.com/2015/05/dont-kill ... ector.html

Official sales plot:
An ancient evil is unleashed in a small Alaskan town leaving a trail of death and destruction as it passes from host to host. The only hope of survival lies with a grizzled demon hunter (Dolph Lundgren) who has faced this terror before. Together with a reluctant FBI agent he has to figure out how to destroy a demon with the ability to possess its killer.

http://archstonedistribution.com/film/Dont-Kill-It
Jox wrote:
Moltisanti wrote:Reminds me a bit of THE MINION, though hopefully way better.

Yeah but there's a twist or difference that disctinguishes it from THE MINION and makes it quite interesting actually (hence a conflict sort of "kill it but don't kill it")...

...a demon with the ability to possess its killer.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby shooby on 10 May 2015, 15:01

A new "The Minion" !?!
shooby

Postby Jox on 10 May 2015, 15:07

Supposedly more gory and violent (see Mike Mendez previous work), with the difference that the you become the demon yourself once you kill it...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 11 May 2015, 19:10

Well that's ... sober. :lol:
bomaz

Postby Tom on 11 May 2015, 19:16

It actually appals me the lack of effort that goes into sales ads/posters these days. It's pathetic. If there's absolutely not care seemingly given to these films, then why the hell should people watch?
If I was running a film company I'd be ashamed to put something so lame up.
Tom
Regular

Next

Return to Dolph's Movies