KINDERGARTEN COP 2 (Don Michael Paul, 2015)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: KINDERGARTEN COP 2 (Don Michael Paul, 2015) (filming)

Postby dolphage on 14 Aug 2015, 18:15

Jox wrote:The lovely and talented @darla_taylor who plays "Olivia" in #KindergartenCop

How photoshopped does his head look in this picture?! :shock:
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby shooby on 14 Aug 2015, 19:47

shooby

Postby savagesketch on 14 Aug 2015, 19:58

DRC2013 wrote:
-Since it's a Universal DTV production it will at least look like a real movie, since most studio DTV sequels I have seen have had pretty decent production values.

This is really the only high point for me on this one. Dolph has never starred in a Universal production. And yes, they are a large producing conglomerate. Add to the fact that the DTV market isn't what it used to be, I imagine this'll be a fairly large DTV release. This could open some doors for Dolph with Universal and provide him with some decent opportunities. One can hope...
savagesketch

Postby bomaz on 14 Aug 2015, 20:01

shooby wrote:http://www.journaldugeek.com/2015/08/14/un-flic-a-la-maternelle-aura-le-droit-a-sa-suite-avec-dolph-lundgren/ (in french)

It even got coverage on mainstream media (Huffington Post, BFM ...).
bomaz

Postby DRC2013 on 14 Aug 2015, 21:12

Here in Finland one of the biggest newspapers (tabloid journalism, but still) even had an article on it.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/viihde/2015081420179592_vi.shtml

The headline says "Step aside, Arnie! Swedish star steps into his boots in sequel" :)

This has gotten the most publicity than any movie he has done since The Expendables for sure.
DRC2013

Postby Jox on 15 Aug 2015, 12:21

DRC2013 wrote:This has gotten the most publicity than any movie he has done since The Expendables for sure.
It's making buzz right now but it's when it's released that it'll need the publicity (or by then everybody will have either forgotten or won't care, especially if it doesn't look good).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby DRC2013 on 15 Aug 2015, 12:53

That's true, but I have a feeling they will rush this out, maybe in part due to the (unexpected?) publicity they've been getting.

Wouldn't surprise me if they release it in time for Christmas.
DRC2013

Postby Jox on 15 Aug 2015, 13:20

By the way, Don Michael Paul not only wrote the infamous HARLEY DAVIDSON AND THE MARLOBORO MAN but he also did script polishes for Albert Pyun on CYBORG back then, as the latter told when talking about MASTERS 2:
Having spent well over $2 million on sets, costumes, and prep, Cannon was desperate to find away to recoup their spend. I suggested we do a film that could utilize as much of what had been built and prepped and that would cost very little in addition. I wrote a first draft of what became "Cyborg" over a weekend and brought in a young actor - who wanted to be a screenwriter - to do polishes. His name was Don Michael Paul and he has gone on to write and direct "Half Past Dead" and Harley Davidson and the "Marlboro Man".
http://www.dolph-ultimate.com/dolph-in/masters2.html

Off topic, but what Pyun omits to mention when he said he wrote CYBORG over a week-end is that he based it on a project that he had already written.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Travis on 16 Aug 2015, 05:13

I am actually excited about this movie and I think this could be one of the best things for Dolph if it turns out decent.
Travis
Regular

Postby Jox on 16 Aug 2015, 11:35

It ay be a good sign that they went for Dolph too (being of the same generation and breed as Arnold), meaning they're trying to keep some of the essence of the original...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 16 Aug 2015, 12:50

The important thing they need to remember is that the first film wasn't strictly a kids movie. It was fairly dark in places and had some action. They can't approach this as something completely silly and aimed at children. Ultimately the audience for this film is still mostly going to be adults over 25 who can remember the original.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 16 Aug 2015, 15:49

Totally. Indeed I actually re-watched the original not long ago and it wasn't a movie for 5 year-olds and was a bit gritty at times. I remember back in the theatres, the school climax scene kinda gave me chills with Randy Edelman's perfectly moody score, the opening was great too as well as the illegal club scene as well. A full on John Kimble action thriller would have been a blast, litterally.

It was the perfect TWINS follow up, unlike JUNIOR (not mentioning Arnold was king for hitting the box office with alternatively TOTAL RECALL, KINDERGARTEN COP, and then TERMINATOR 2). Back in the day, I actually saw it 3 or 4 times in theatres including twice back to back once when I just stayed over the next show, and it made me laugh my ass off while still being a pretty good movie overall.

What we don't want here is a not-so-funny parody with "pooh haha" "humor" of the insulting RACE TO THE SCENE level...

Hopefully Don Michael Paul's track record of action/horror genre DTV sequels (TREMORS 5, JARHEAD 2, SNIPER 5, LAKE PLACID 4) is indicative of an attempt to combine both comedy and action/thriller.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 16 Aug 2015, 16:41

What's funny is that even though KC is kind of tonally very mixed up. It kind of is never too sure of its audience, and it's of course not as iconic as his films like T1,2, Recall etc, Kindercarten really does have a lot of popularity. In some ways it is kind of an oddity. I think in particular female movie goers of a certain age will often pick KC as their favourite Arnold film. My ex and her sisters loved it and a few other friends always say how much they enjoyed KC, more so than stuff like Terminator.

Kindergarten Cop of course wasn't as confused of its target audience as Last Action Hero was, but I do think that is part of the charm. I like that film a lot. Indeed I also really dig LAH, even though it's kind of a mess. But that, for me, is part of its charm.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 16 Aug 2015, 16:52

I don't see any quote from Arnold...
http://masterherald.com/arnold-schwarze ... oot/24600/
but Arnold loves and respects Dolph, they go way back from the set of CONAN THE DESTROYER and parties at Grace Jones' (and he may even be slightly jealous of Lundgren's body and shape), so I have no doubt he will bless Lundgren for taking over no matter what.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 16 Aug 2015, 21:07

Jox wrote:(and he may even be slightly jealous of Lundgren's body and shape).

Really? Have you heard something like that? 8)
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies