KINDERGARTEN COP 2 (Don Michael Paul, 2015)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: KINDERGARTEN COP 2 (Don Michael Paul, 2015) (filming)

Postby bomaz on 11 Aug 2015, 19:58

I really enjoy the original / first KC (I must have watched twice a year for a fair amount of years when I was a kid, quite at the same time I discovered The Punisher with M. Lundgren*). Well, we can already assume it's gonna be a mainstream pg DTV, maybe honestly made (i've never seen Paul's movies), but quite generic, but with good value for us : Dolph in a brand new register (well, a new register as a lead).
Plus side : these movie get "descent" budget (5 million bucks for JATW 2) so it might get Dolph some doughs in order to get Nordic Light going.

* yes, I was already eclectic at the time.
bomaz

Postby Tom on 11 Aug 2015, 21:14

DRC2013 wrote:
Tom wrote:Maybe Dolph can follow it up with Jingle All The Way 2.

Too late. :wink:

Ha ha. Wow...to think they could actually get a worse comedian than Sinbad for that! ha ha.

Okay, maybe Dolph can do Junior 2 then. he he
Tom
Regular

Postby Nathan on 12 Aug 2015, 00:31

Save me now.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby dude hallenbeck on 12 Aug 2015, 05:36

At least Universal put money into their DTV efforts.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Dida on 12 Aug 2015, 11:53

Don Michael Paul made some good dtv movies in the last few years: Sniper: Legacy, Jarhead 2. He also directed the upcoming Tremors 5 and did the Seagal movie Half Past Dead. I have faith in Kindergarten Cop 2.
If he dies....he dies....
Dida

Postby Jox on 12 Aug 2015, 18:46

Dolph booked this one at the last minute when DON'T KILL IT got pushed back. This is the kind of things he would usually find ridiculous but at the same time he wants to do other things than action and try things out (but doesn't have enough confidence to go too fast) so he might have thought this is a middle ground between comedy and action while this was originally tailored for Arnold...

What I find odd is that they booked the lead so late in pre-production, so maybe if he didn't do it they would have cast anybody who would, including Larry the Cable Guy (who the hell is this?)...

As of now, there are no plans for it to become a series.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/12/ki ... ing-remake
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 13 Aug 2015, 04:32

So he is the lead?

Jox wrote: so maybe if he didn't do it they would have cast anybody who would, including Larry the Cable Guy (who the hell is this?)...

Trust me, you're better off not knowing.

Though if this one is a hit we might get Dolph and Larry in TWINS 2.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 13 Aug 2015, 10:24

TWINS 2 aka TRIPLETS is already a serious go with Arnold, De Vito and possibly Eddie Murphy!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 13 Aug 2015, 19:57

At least, the buzz around this is huge, it gets people to talk about Dolph.
bomaz

Postby dolphage on 13 Aug 2015, 21:04

Yeah, it should be fairly high-profile. That's good!
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby savagesketch on 13 Aug 2015, 22:00

I'm assuming Dolph is the lead... Considering this is the sequel to the original with Arnold, they want essentially a "lower-rent" actor of sorts who can essentially deliver the same thing as the first. Bill Bellamy just isn't leading man material, but rather the goofy sidekick of sorts. That's how I'm thinking this will go down.

Though I have to to wonder, if Dolph is in fact the lead, how many days did he spend on shooting this one?
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 14 Aug 2015, 00:26

He's still filming and started around July 23-25th I believe. But that doesn't mean being on set evry single day of course. And this can be done well fairly quickly.

I just hope the script isn't too silly and he doesn't try too hard being funny or it's gonna be ridiculous. He has to feel comfortable and remain natural or it feels forced, like some of his RACE TO THE SCENE stuff... Whereas he's can be so plain hilarious in real life...!

Now on change.org:
https://www.change.org/p/universal-stud ... m=copylink

Thanks to me and infos I recooped, manlymovie.net gets a lot of credits for the scoop, again...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 14 Aug 2015, 07:13

All the major movie news sites are posting about this.
dude hallenbeck

Postby DRC2013 on 14 Aug 2015, 08:56

At least you can say that this project has a few things going for it:

-A decent writer who's worked on legitimate studio comedies, and wrote a Simpsons episode. Doesn't mean it'll turn out to be laugh out loud funny, but at least he's a step above the usual DTV scribes.

-It has already generated lots of publicity, I'd say it's firmly in between Skin Trade and Expendables in terms of news articles and forum discussions, blog posts etc. before release.

-Since it's a Universal DTV production it will at least look like a real movie, since most studio DTV sequels I have seen have had pretty decent production values.

-Because it's a sequel/remake/reboot/whatever of Kindergarten Cop, a movie that was a legitimate hit back in the day and is still well liked and on TV all the time, the distribution will be better than with most DTV movies, meaning it'll get more shelf space than most DTV movies and it will likely be aired a lot on TV as well. And since Universal is a big conglomerate, the distribution will be handled by them worldwide.

-Plus I think Dolph can be really funny in the right part and in the right project. If he's playing the Arnold part, I think he will be really funny, if the script and direction is at least OK. Don Michael Paul is no Ivan Reitman though, so we'll see.

I think this was a really smart career move by Dolph. Since Expendables 4 looks unlikely, and so does a new Universal Soldiers sequel, signing up for a high profile DTV movie like this was probably the next best thing.

First Skin Trade, then the small part in the next Coen Brothers movie and now Kindergarten Cop 2 will all be beneficial for Dolph.
DRC2013

Postby Jox on 14 Aug 2015, 13:21

First Dolph apparently needed to work this summer and had to pick a project when DON'T KILL IT got postponed, and then I guess he got attracted by the comedy and romantic side of it. But yeah hopefully it's gonna be a decent DTV.

Regarding the internet buzz, I think it's just the idea, because the concept of KINDERGARTEN COP was silly enough, that making a sequel and Dolph filling Arnold shoes is the kind of thing of crazy story that the web and social medias love...

Calling himself "Screenwriter of terrible movies. Funny but not ha ha funny", David H. Steinberg (AMERICAN PIE 2, SLACKERS, one SIMPSONS episodes) posted pics from the set on Twitter:
Aw, they made me a chair...

The incredible @Dolph_Lundgren on the set of #KindergartenCop

Dolph and love interest @darla_taylor in #KindergartenCop

The lovely and talented @darla_taylor who plays "Olivia" in #KindergartenCop

The cop has arrived on set. #KindergartenCop

Production design is a bit on the nose but I guess it's not First Grade Cop.

The awesome @BILLBELLAMY and me on set of Kindergarten Cop!
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies