FEMALE FIGHT CLUB / F. F. SQUAD (Miguel A. Ferrer, 2016)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: FEMALE FIGHT CLUB / F.F. Squad (Miguel A. Ferrer, 2016)

Postby savagesketch on 04 Jun 2022, 07:56

New episode is here, this time chatting FEMALE FIGHT SQUAD! Vern, author of Seagalogy and numerous other movie reviews makes his debut on the show to help lend insight to this flick from 2016! Enjoy!

https://imustbreakthispodcast.wordpress ... ght-squad/

Please feel free to rate and review the show on iTunes, Stitcher, or wherever you go to subscribe!
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 05 Jun 2022, 18:10

I have to watch it again but in regards to your comments about the fight scenes, here is my take on it:
what made the movie work for me was that actually the fights are not in the forefront of the film, the underground fighting scene a backdrop but it's not what the movie is about, unlike the traditional tournament movies that we all know and love. The script and the filmmakers clearly lean towards more drama, and it's ok if the fights are not "cool", "impressive" or "showing off". If I remember right they're more in the vein of BLOOD AND BONE: efficient and technically good from a "real" martial art standpoint. And like I mentioned it before there is some clear influence from DRIVE in the climax, and not in a bad way...

P.S.: Cool to have brought in Vern into the podcast!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 06 Jun 2022, 05:47

Jox wrote:The script and the filmmakers clearly lean towards more drama, and it's ok if the fights are not "cool", "impressive" or "showing off".

I get that. And what little drama there is, it's done fairly well. But in a film titled FEMALE FIGHT SQUAD / FEMALE FIGHT CLUB, and with Amy Johnston in the lead, then you're almost expecting something much more polished. With regard to your comparisons to BLOOD AND BONE, the prison fight scenes are done so much better there than in this one. Dolph's prison fight is pretty lacking, I felt, i.e. choreographed delays, etc. Which I suspect was most likely due to the fact that they had Dolph for such a limited amount of time, so they had to make due with what they had. Not a huge deal breaker, and it's decent for what we got, but compared to LADY BLOODFIGHT, this one isn't on the same level. Just my opinion.

Jox wrote:P.S.: Cool to have brought in Vern into the podcast!

Thank you! And this won't be the last time!
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 06 Jun 2022, 14:13

Fair enough ;)

I must say I haven't seen LADY BLOODFIGHT to compare it to, and this is the only Amy Johnston vehicle I've seen. As for the title thank god the film is not as touting as it sounds, and that is also probably why I was gladly surprised since I was expecting the worst...

It seems LADY BLOODFIGHT was a much bigger production in scope and everything, isn't it?

Dolph's prison fight is pretty lacking, I felt, i.e. choreographed delays, etc. Which I suspect was most likely due to the fact that they had Dolph for such a limited amount of time, so they had to make due with what they had.

I absolutely agree on that one.

From what I gathered they went especially to Vancouver to shoot Dolph's scenes while, or right after, he was filming KINDERGARTEN COP 2 there (we actually even thought the BTS pics were for KC2 at the time)... And it's pretty obvious that they added this fight scene because they had Dolph in the film and couldn't have him not fight somebody...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Decaman3 on 13 Jun 2022, 08:38

I've just gone through this thread and I've thoroughly enjoyed all of it, and agree with lots. You guys are on point. Thanks for your unwavering passion for cinema, and of course, all things Dolph.

Miguel F.
Decaman3

Postby Jox on 13 Jun 2022, 18:49

Thank you for stopping by, Miguel! Glad you enjoyed reading the FFC thread.
Jox
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Dolph's Movies