DIRECT ACTION (Sidney J. Furie, 2004)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby bomaz on 21 May 2004, 18:42

shooby wrote:This movie called "The Minion" in english, and "Le dernier templier" in French (or "the last templar" if you want tot translate in english, but there's no interest in my opinion)

this is one of my favourites !!! :oops:
bomaz

Postby Terminator on 21 May 2004, 19:32

I've watched this recently, but I was a bit... disappointed about the Action. It was still "behaved" I think. Anyhow this movie was okay. I hope Red Scorpion will be better.
In hope for someone who could replace the real Dolph one day if he's (hopefully not as soon) out of business...
Terminator
Regular

Postby shooby on 21 May 2004, 19:53

it's not the same movie : in red scorpion it's only action and in the minion there is more religion, spirituality
shooby

Postby Terminator on 22 May 2004, 13:43

Yeah. This was taking a lot of the movie lenght...
but anyhow I can find some similarities between "The Minion" and "End of Days". Has to do with same. About the Millenium etc.
In hope for someone who could replace the real Dolph one day if he's (hopefully not as soon) out of business...
Terminator
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 23 May 2004, 20:30

I think The Minion is terribly boring. And I also didn't like End Of Days very much. Red Scorpion is one of my favourites... a guilty pleasure though. ;-)
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Terminator on 23 May 2004, 20:39

Then I'll have still got a great movie to look forward watching it!
True Lies was cool! Maybe a "lil'" inlogically, but funny! There are rumors about a second movie so far... do u know anything about it?
Terminator
Regular

Postby shooby on 23 May 2004, 20:51

Mosquito wrote:Red Scorpion is one of my favourites... a guilty pleasure though. ;-)

For me it's us and blackjack. But if I remember there is a message in the forum which we speak about our favorite movies.
shooby

Postby Terminator on 24 May 2004, 21:12

Yeah... Dark Angel was or is still a cool movie, but at the beginning there doesn't happen anything... just the thing with the magnetic- coordinated Disc or whatever this sometimes "Albino- Alien" uses... XD
I just don't like a few sentences or behaviours from Dolph's buddy... but you know... America.
Terminator
Regular

Postby Jox on 05 Jun 2004, 19:53

As promised, here are captures from the 1'45 DIRECT ACTION promo/trailer I saw. It doesn't contain anything about the plot and the other characters, it's just Dolph beating up and shooting out the bad guys, his only line of dialogue is "fuck you"
see gallery here:
http://www.gmrmedia.com/dolph/dolph-in/directaction/directaction.html

"Direct Action" will be released in Japan on July 2 for rental and on August 6 for sale!

(don't ask me why they called it "Black Scorpion", unless if the bad guys unit have been re-named after it)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 05 Jun 2004, 21:12

mmmhhhmmm !!! thoose first pictures look great !!!! i hope the movie to be soon released !!!
bomaz

Postby shooby on 05 Jun 2004, 21:23

yes
shooby

Postby Dolph_Fan on 05 Jun 2004, 23:48

The cover photo of dolph does not match dolph in side the movie, yes I know its from detention.

'Black Scorpion' too common name. But a good name. But in this case for this movie, DIRECT ACTION would be MUCH better.

Dolph looks very deteriated in the Stills for this movie, especially compared to the still from THE DEFENDER, the still where Dolph has a scar.
Dolph_Fan
Regular

Postby Jox on 06 Jun 2004, 22:08

I don't like Dolph's red jacket it looks very cheap, they could let him in T-shirt...

and btw these are NOT stills, these are screen captures from a DVD source (with no great definition though)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 06 Jun 2004, 23:21

Yeah, and NTCS I think. I just finished a little TV clip about Dolph and had to put aside about half of the material that I had planned to use because there was no way to get rid of those stripes that I can also see on your stills. :-/

I heard that it is almost impossible to convert NTSC to PAL or vice versa. Darn.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Dolph_Fan on 06 Jun 2004, 23:36

Not due to NTSC in this case. I viewed the original video for quality, i.e. not the JPG captures. The original was heavily compressed to reduce space, resulting in loss of quality. A second JPEGing over the existing artifacts/distortion to reduce filesize with also even MORE loss of quality also contributed.

NTSC is slightly worser than PAL, about 20%. IT has less lines (resolution/detail), small range of colours. In the case of Direct Action video, pure uncompressed NTSC would yield a better picture than the screen captures, and even better than most/some (I dont know I don't use DVD) the DVD's you play at home etc on PAL systems...

Those 'stripes' are due to 'interlacing' in the video's frames. They are actually the odd/even lines of the current/next video frame (dependent on which you consider are the lines of the current frame in relation to the lines for the other frame of the 2 frames that are present in the interlaced video frame) .It is possible to 'get rid' of those stripes by two methods, 1. Capture the frames the correct way, 2. After there is material captured that contains the 'stripes', you can use the 'deinterlace' process/operation in software to diminish the lines.

The lines are usually where moving objects are.

You can convert NTSC to PAL and vica version. Look those dual NTSC/PAL video recorders, proof. Also in production methods there are techniques. Also in video software.
Dolph_Fan
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies