DIRECT ACTION (Sidney J. Furie, 2004)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Jox on 13 Jul 2004, 23:45

here's a low quality Japanese trailer of DIRECT ACTION
http://sb.tsutaya.co.jp/WM/db/IFD5.asx

http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/item/movie/view_v.zhtml?pdid=10035584

I don't think we can save it on the hard disc
Jox
Site Admin

Postby shooby on 15 Jul 2004, 11:42

I try to do it, i say later if we can
shooby

Postby Terminator on 17 Jul 2004, 19:33

No... still not yet, but where did you order this DVD? I was searching in 5 technology and electronic markets and they all haven't got that movie...
In hope for someone who could replace the real Dolph one day if he's (hopefully not as soon) out of business...
Terminator
Regular

Postby Jox on 18 Jul 2004, 12:57

Thanks to dolph_fan, the DIRECT ACTION Japanese trailer can be downloaded here (9MB):
http://www.gmrmedia.com/dolph/black_scorpion.wmv
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 18 Jul 2004, 16:32

Looks class. I can't wait to get my copy, fingers crossed it comes tomorrow. It looks like and 80's style, hardcore, kick ass action flick. Furie seems to have improved in this and certainly the fact that this is pure Dolph action, not interrupted and shared with teenagers grabbing their bows and arrows and what have you. This is Dolph playing a bad ass. I think that action movies seem to be going back to the 80's kind of style again. Look at the success of Rundown, which people said was just like an Arnie film from the 80's, pure guilty pleasure.
Tom
Regular

Postby njonesky102 on 20 Jul 2004, 00:46

I bought the DVD off ebay. It was a brand new factory sealed DVD, but it was a russian export so the only subtitles offered where in Russian, but still I bought the dvd the very next after it was out.
Kjones
njonesky102

Postby Tom on 20 Jul 2004, 21:43

I got Direct Action today and I must say that this is definitely one to look out for. This is probably Dolph’s most out and out entertaining movie in years. It is reminiscent of Seagal’s films in the 80’s, simplistic, moralistic and violent. Theres plenty of fight scenes which are short and sweet and Dolph uses his martial arts to good affect. This is much better than Detention which is surprising considering it is almost entirely made from the same people, in front and behind the character. All the cast are a lot better, especially Alex Karzis, remember how cheesy and bad he was as the villain, well he’s much better here. Conrad Dunn is good as well, he gives some class to it.
I liked Polly Shannon too, she had a good chemistry with Dolph. There was a kind of similar dynamic to another Sidney Furie film, the Rage, if anyone saw it when Lorenzo Lamas played an experienced FBI man who takes a young female under his wing. While the film isn’t as good all round as Hidden Agenda, it is more pure entertainment and Dolph looks lean and mean. He looks a real bad ass in it. Once again he does his own stunts, as in Detention. I really do think that the time off he had has given him a new lease of life in the movies and he looks fitter, sharper and more enthusiastic than he has done in years. Any doubters should get excited because even if you don’t think of this as one of his best it certainly is one of the best in recent years. It’s good to see him playing in typical action roles like he used to. The late 90’s saw these B-movie producers trying to add dimension to his characters, adding more emotions, humour but it never worked. Van Damme and Seagal are moving back to the kind of films they used to make to try and make money and Dolph looks like he is doing the same. As much as I enjoyed Hidden Agenda for having some depth and intelligence, most general movie goers would pass a thriller like that to watch something much better. Whereas films like this are nicely brainless and do what they say on the tin.
Tom
Regular

Postby Terminator on 21 Jul 2004, 14:13

^Woah. But howmuch did you have to pay for the dispatch? Within eBay I had only German articles and wares... I can only hope that someone has a good DVD to offer there... I already heard good comments about this new movie. :lol:
In hope for someone who could replace the real Dolph one day if he's (hopefully not as soon) out of business...
Terminator
Regular

Direct Action A flop?

Postby njonesky102 on 21 Jul 2004, 20:52

I watched Direct Action for the first time yesterday and was a little disappointed, :( Although the film was not a complete flop I thought that maybe it was a little below average even for a Dolph movie. The acting was not too bad and the plot seemed thought out but over all I was waiting for the 'Big Action' scene with didn't seem to come. I would rate this movie as around 6/10.
It is still worth watching though Dolph fans.
I would love to here other peoples veiws on this soon.
Kjones
njonesky102

Postby Tom on 21 Jul 2004, 21:36

I enjoyed it. It was no where near Dolphs best but I still feel it was one of his best in recent times. I do think the film will do well on video though. It's all out action and is bound to get in the charts like Detention did. I agree it lacked a really big set piece, but at the same time they had a lot of action scenes nicely spread out.

I can't see that Dolph will do any films that stand up to his best ones. There just won't be the money spent on it. Direct Action as with many of his latest shows it's budgetary limitations in the action scenes. What pleased me most was Dolph himself, he was really up for it. Once again he did his own stunts, like Detention.
Tom
Regular

Postby hansson55 on 25 Jul 2004, 03:28

I got a copy from Greece to day and I have to say that I am way more imprested by Sidney J. Furie this time. The film looks good, the fight scenes are really good, Dolph dose a great job, the other actors are also good (not over played like in Detention), and the story is ok (a bit slow some times, but its ok).
¤¤¤ It’s from Sweden like me ¤¤¤
hansson55
Regular

Postby hansson55 on 25 Jul 2004, 03:35

Dolph says that he have a new fight choreographer in Direct Action, dose any one know if he will work with Dolph in Controller, Defender or Retrograde. He did a great job in this film I hope he returns.
¤¤¤ It’s from Sweden like me ¤¤¤
hansson55
Regular

Postby Jox on 25 Jul 2004, 11:31

I don't know if he works with Dolph on his latest projects, here's a quote from the production notes

Much like the character Frank Gannon, Lundgren performs each roll with integrity. He wants his fighting sequences to be realistic, fresh, believable and still entertaining. With this in mind Lundgren asked Kyokushin Karate Sensei, Barry Evans to work closely with him as the Fight Coordinator on the film. “Dolph’s fighting capabilities are far superior then what his audiences have been privy to in his films. At the height of 6’ 5” and weighing in at 230 lbs, along with his technical abilities we thought it would be more realistic yet still entertaining if his fight scenes were shorter”, says Evans. “I am not really teaching Dolph anything, I am just here to remind him what he is capable of”. The two met over 20 years ago in England and then trained together when Lundgren was living in Los Angeles. “It is really tough to keep your fight scenes interesting because you can only do so many things. I am not a big fan of somersaults and wirework because it looks funny for a guy my size. This time I wanted to keep it a little more conventional, a little more on-the-street, so I asked Barry to help me out and he has done a fantastic job” says Lundgren.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby shooby on 25 Jul 2004, 12:30

But Dolph's fight trainer's for movies is not His old freind Brian Fitkins, like in Blackjack or other movies ?
shooby

Postby Travis on 25 Jul 2004, 23:50

I just saw the trailer(without sound) and I think this film looks really cool unlike any of his recent films. I just wish he would cut his hair.
Travis
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies