AQUAMAN (James Wan, 2018)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: AQUAMAN (James Wan, 2017-2018) (in pre-production)

Postby savagesketch on 14 Apr 2017, 17:07

About time D finally gets a role in a big-budget comic flick... Only slight area of concern is that the film already appears to be character-heavy (multiple villains, etc.). Hoping that D's role is not cut down in post-production during the editing process. Then again, Wan seems to be a big fan, so I imagine he'll be having some say there...
savagesketch

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 14 Apr 2017, 23:45

khurram112 wrote:Excellent news for Dolph. After Arrow another superhero movie villain role is great. As superhero movies are the in things now a days...

I was worried after the less than stellar Ex3 that Dolph's latest resurgence was powering down... but people seem to have really enjoyed Kill It on the indie circuit. Then his team/whoever made the decision to guest star on Arrow... which to be honest I was skeptical of at first, but turns out that might have been the smartest late career move he's made since joining Sly for Ex1.

Arrow season 5 has been very well received by fans... I see a lot of them on social media ranking it up there with season 1 or even as their favorite season overall... with Dolph getting a lot of praise.

I know he's been pretty adamant in the past about avoiding CBM ... but this thing is almost guaranteed to do huge numbers at the Box Office and to have Dolph a part (maybe even a big part) is going to be huge. James Wan is a talented guy and he knows how to direct an ensemble so I have no doubt that he can handle this large/talented cast.

I know we were all excited a few years ago when Dolph made his mainstream comeback with Expendables and thought he'd get a chance to revive his big screen career and open more/bigger doors... but this could end up being the real deal.

I'd like to think also Dolph just being a good dude and pleasant to work with overall also has helped this be possible.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby dude hallenbeck on 15 Apr 2017, 06:32

In regards to "I know he's been pretty adamant in the past about avoiding CBM". Well Aquaman (And the Zack Snyder films) seem to take more inspiration from high fantasy like Excalibur, Conan The Barbarian, Ridley Scott's Legend, Lord of the Rings, etc, rather than just being run of the mill comic book films.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Jox on 15 Apr 2017, 10:02

Yes and that's why I'm pleased that it turned to be this project rather DEADPOOL 2 or some AVENGERS type of superhero movie.

I haven't seen any James Wan films but from what I hear it also seems a better choice than Zack Snider at the helm (who was first set to direct and is only a producer in some capacity -hands on or honorific- here)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby TEMIRLAN on 15 Apr 2017, 10:19

Yes. I had noticed his fanatism to Dolph in "Insidious 3" when I noticed the t-shirt on some actor of it with Masters of the Univers picture.

Edit:

What's the reason of editing my post?
Last edited by TEMIRLAN on 15 Apr 2017, 12:20, edited 4 times in total.
TEMIRLAN

Postby Jox on 15 Apr 2017, 10:36

He didn't direct INSIDIOUS 3 though, and the director Leigh Whannell told that the Dolph t-shirt was not exactly what he had asked for:
I wasn’t allowed to use shirts from my own collection. Yeah, they had to be – you actually get presented with a sheet – it’s quite funny – and they say “Here’s what we have clearance for.” When I asked for Masters of the Universe, I meant the animated Masters of the Universe! I didn’t know Dolph Lundgren – you know, even as a kid I was disappointed with that Dolph Lundgren Masters of the Universe. The biggest problem with it? They came to Earth! They should have stayed on Eternia

http://www.therobotsvoice.com/2015/06/t ... ecting.php
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 15 Apr 2017, 11:50

Jox wrote:Yes and that's why I'm pleased that it turned to be this project rather DEADPOOL 2 or some AVENGERS type of superhero movie.

I haven't seen any James Wan films but from what I hear it also seems a better choice than Zack Snider at the helm (who was first set to direct and is only a producer in some capacity -hands on or honorific- here)...

I absolutely love both guys, but unfortunately for Snyder he tends to over indulge and thus the studio is always stuck having to cut half to an hour out of his films, so he's left with polarising films that always end up playing better in their Directors Cuts. I do think he gets far too much undeserved shit from critics and fanboys for taking risks and using religion and mythology as a basis for the films rather than making a rote Marvel type deal.

That being said I definitely consider James Wan superior as a film maker. I'd skip Fast & Furious 7, but I'd recommend Conjuring, Insidious and Death Sentence.

EDITED TO ADD:

If you want to see the general gist of what the franchise aims for in ambience and themes, this 4 minute video does a good job of showing it.

https://vimeo.com/189876347
dude hallenbeck

Postby shooby on 15 Apr 2017, 14:18

khurram112 wrote:Excellent news for Dolph. After Arrow another superhero movie villain role is great. As superhero movies are the in things now a days...

But will he have a villain role ? The James Wan twitt is strange ?!?
shooby

Postby Jox on 15 Apr 2017, 14:34

It sounds like the role is ambiguous (and Dolph loves that), maybe not like in the first EXPENDABLES but not all bad but not all that good either...

Does anybody knows how is the character portrayed in the comics?
Jox
Site Admin

Postby TEMIRLAN on 15 Apr 2017, 16:19

people say king nerius is a villain charactar. but we know that filmakers can change it to a half-villain-half-good guy character. to me it would be even better, cuz those kind of characters don't die in the end of films (like locky) and appear in sequels. and people love these kind of characters.
TEMIRLAN

Postby shooby on 15 Apr 2017, 17:49

Jox wrote:Does anybody knows how is the character portrayed in the comics?

If I remember Nerus is the brother of Aquaman, and he whant his place in Atlantis. He sent his girlfriend Mera to seduce Aquaman with the aim of murder him, but she fell in love with Aquaman. My hypothesis about the "Not quite villain, but thank you :)" is that Aquaman and Nerus will set aside their rancors to eliminate Ocean Master and Black Manta, probably because they abducted Mera ?!? Wait and see
shooby

Postby Daan on 15 Apr 2017, 23:42

Good news, great move for Dolph. Time to perform now. Hope he kills it. It could lead to better things, if at least an uptick in budget or class for his own movie projects, hopefully.
Daan

Postby dude hallenbeck on 16 Apr 2017, 05:15

King Nereus is more involved in the Death of a King arc, which is his first appearance, but not what they're adapting here. It's about Aquaman solving an ancient murder. I haven't actually read it.

dude hallenbeck

Postby TEMIRLAN on 20 Apr 2017, 19:21

when exactly is this gonna start shooting? hope dolph won't be out last minute. i'm nervious untill i see set pix with him. are you too. jox?
TEMIRLAN

Postby Jox on 21 Apr 2017, 11:58

TEMIRLAN wrote:when exactly is this gonna start shooting? hope dolph won't be out last minute. i'm nervious untill i see set pix with him. are you too. jox?

Unless something happens there's no reason to be worried because it's a $150 million (probably) production so they'll make it no matter what, it's not like a sketchy deal with an unsure financing...
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies