CREED II (Steven Caple, Jr., 2018)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: CREED II (Steven Caple, Jr., 2018) (in post-production)

Postby thegoon4eto on 25 Sep 2018, 19:22

New trailer tomorrow. And also a new poster:

Van Damme fans forum

http://jcvdfans.boards.net/
thegoon4eto

Postby bomaz on 26 Sep 2018, 19:11

I'm all for it : same vibes as the first one, nice acting, it seems visually well made. Except for the lousy green screen (the audience during the match, but than can still be corrected), it's a go for me.
bomaz

Postby Jox on 27 Sep 2018, 00:23

Dolph on the CREED II trailer:
"I think it's pretty good, there's not enough of #IvanDrago in it but otherwise they did a pretty good job, I hope you enjoy it!"

https://www.instagram.com/DolphLundgren/

Jox
Site Admin

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 27 Sep 2018, 01:55

That stare down was Majestic!
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby Nathan on 27 Sep 2018, 12:32

I really liked the trailer. Film looks really well shot, I'll be surprised if it isn't as good as Creed (2015). On a side note, why is Tessa Thompson named in the trailer but not Dolph?
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 27 Sep 2018, 12:42

I think because Tessa Thompson has become a big name at least states-side*, and her character is like the 3rd main protagonist with Adonis Creed and Rocky. She was one of the best things in the first film to me.

(* if any indication, Thompon's name has been way up the IMDB "starmeter" all year along with Jordan's and she's been all over the media... Aside from THOR: RAGNAROK she's been in the much talked about SORRY TO BOTHER YOU, the HBO and Netflix series WESTWORLD and DEAR WHITE PEOPLE and her girlfriend's Janelle Monae music video PINK, so she's become more than an "up and coming" name by now)

'Creed II' Trailer Sells Sequel To Michael B. Jordan's 'Creed' And Sylvester Stallone's 'Rocky IV'
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... -rocky-iv/

EXCLUSIVE: Tessa Thompson On Raising Bianca’s Voice In ‘Creed 2’
https://www.bet.com/celebrities/exclusi ... ailer.html
cache:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... ent=safari
In the three years since Creed was released in theaters its stars Tessa Thompson and Michael B. Jordan have been launched into rarefied air. “We’ve grown up a little bit,” Thompson says during a break in filming for the sequel. It’s day 38 of shooting but her energy level is still high. “Even Mike and I we were looking at some playback the other day and we were like, ‘We got older.’ In a good way we’ve grown. I think this film oddly parallels where we are too in terms of our artistic journey.”

During their break Jordan was in a little movie called Black Panther, while Thompson was on the far side of that same galaxy in Thor: Ragnarok. When she wasn’t playing a drunken mercenary, Thompson was a scientist in the cataclysmic Annihilation and a sign-twirling dramatic artist in the surrealist anti-capitalism manifesto, Sorry To Bother You. Now it’s time to return to earth a bit with a character a tad more grounded in reality.

Thompson’s Bianca was as much a challenge for Adonis as his opponents in the ring. A singer with ambitions of her own, she had a sense of urgency about her work that rivaled his, due in some part to gradual hearing loss. But where there might have been a divergence to their career paths before, in a scene being filmed today on a sound stage outside of Philadelphia, they are together. Bianca is walking Adonis into the ring before a fight and singing one of her own songs. She’s not an opening act, but a main attraction.

“In the first film that was the only time I ever used my tattoos,” she says. “I have a tattoo that says ‘Yes’ and in this film, we turned it into ‘Yesterday.’ So, we really want you to see that time has passed and these characters have grown and changed.”

In the first Creed Bianca performs three songs (“Grip,” “Breathe” and “Shed You”), where Thompson gets to flaunt her musical pedigree. Tessa sings in the group Caught A Ghost who dropped their debut album Human Nature in 2014. Her father is Marc Anthony Thompson aka Chocolate Genius, a singer and songwriter who also composed scores for films. This go around Tessa has enlisted heavy hitters like James Fauntelroy to elevate Bianca’s sound.

“There are three songs that will for sure be in [the film] and all of them are performed. Last time they would be like source music. She’s grown in terms of her writing. She is playing for bigger audiences and has interest from record labels. She’s sort of at this juncture where she’s been an independent artist, an army of one just making music in her apartment and has to decide if she wants to work with the record label, work with other people and sort of give up her own agency inside of her work.”

Bianca’s decisions are further complicated by her degenerative hearing loss and its clear impact on her work. Balancing career, family and health is as American a story as you can get and Thompson has taken particular care with the portrayal.

“My brother is 19 and he’s had hearing loss his whole life,” Thompson reveals. “And working on this film this time around, the conversations that I had with him about it and really understanding it, I realized that there are so many questions I never asked him about his own experience even though I am so close to him. I had the occasion to meet this really incredible woman who is nominated for a Tony, Lauren Ridloff, who’s in “Children of a Lesser God” and was born deaf. I was talking to her and she just wanted to make sure that I knew she’s really happy and lives a really rich life. The truth is there are tons of people who don’t hear anything or do experience hearing loss and they do live rich awesome lives. I think it’s important particularly in media to reflect that, it doesn’t have to be a pained experience.”

In the newly released trailer for Creed II we see the conflict that Bianca endures when Adonis decides to fight Drago. Even Stallone acknowledges that “She’s not Adrian” and that what she does in response is not a foregone conclusion.

“What’s been so cool is that Steven Caple Jr. (director) and Juel, who is the other writer, we’ve just had a lot of conversations around how we continue to give this character Bianca her own agency and how we make sure that her voice is really present. Even if she doesn’t occupy tons of page space but the page space that she does occupy feels really vital. And so some of that just has to do with her being able to articulate where she's coming from. I think the only time where I would feel mad is her is not taking agency in a way that I hope that she would.”
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 27 Sep 2018, 14:26

Jox wrote:I think because Tessa Thompson has become a big name at least states-side*, and her character is like the 3rd main protagonist with Adonis Creed and Rocky. She was one of the best things in the first film to me.

Shows you how out of the loop I am mate, I'd only seen her in Creed.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 28 Sep 2018, 03:57

If any of you have Sly's instagram... he put up a gif of him and Dolph. Showing him and Dolph from the 4th film to Creed II. It has 2 million likes....
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby Jox on 28 Sep 2018, 10:49

The new trailer has close to 6 million views on Youtube alone in less than 2 days...

‘Creed II’ Director Steven Caple Jr. on Ryan Coogler’s Advice and Directing a ‘Rocky’ Film After a Low-Budget Indie – Exclusive
https://www.indiewire.com/2018/09/creed ... 202007531/
"Creed" proved instrumental in taking Coogler from indies to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but Caple Jr. isn't worrying about following the same path.

It would be a surreal experience for any director to walk into a fake boxing ring with Sylvester Stallone and Michael B. Jordan as 2,000 extras in the crowd chant “Rocky! Rocky! Rocky!” But it was particularly wild for Steven Caple Jr. The 30-year-old filmmaker’s last movie, “The Land,” was his directorial debut produced for around $1 million. Now Caple is the man behind the multimillion dollar “Rocky” franchise with “Creed II,” the sequel to Ryan Coogler’s sensational 2015 boxing drama that introduced Michael B. Jordan as the son of Apollo Creed.

“It’s trippy. It’s all happening at once,” Caple told IndieWire over the phone from Los Angeles, where’s he’s still in the editing room working on post-production. Only a couple hours had passed since the official “Creed II” trailer premiered, and Caple couldn’t contain his excitement. “To have people already responding to the film in this way as we’re slowly working on it, it’s pretty dope,” he said.

The biggest narrative surrounding Caple’s involvement in “Creed II” has been that he’s taken over for Coogler, who has since become an A-list Hollywood filmmaker with “Black Panther.” The two directors happen to be friends going back to their days at the University of Southern California’s film school. Caple had the same reaction as fans did when MGM asked him to meet with Stallone and Jordan about the “Creed II” directing gig: He needed to know why Coogler wasn’t returning.

“I went straight to [Ryan Coogler] and was like, ‘Man, why aren’t you doing it? You know what I mean, because you killed the first one,'” Caple said. “But he was caught up with ‘Black Panther’ and they were looking for someone to carry the torch and able to put their own spin on it. Coogler was helpful and told me, ‘Hey, do your thing. Add your own twists to it, but make sure you follow along the lines of the Rocky franchise.'”

The “lines of the ‘Rocky’ franchise” were something Caple knew well long before sitting in the “Creed II” director’s chair. Caple grew up watching the “Rocky” franchise and something powerful happened as he got older. What he originally viewed as thrilling entertainment in his childhood turned into character dramas with real human stakes as a teenager. Caple said the best “Rocky” films, and he counts “Creed” among them, find the knockout balance between boxing hype and character intimacy. The director is roughly the same age as Jordan’s Adonis Creed, so by the time Coogler’s film revitalized the “Rocky” franchise, the series hit the director closer to home than it ever did.

“I can really connect with the level of maturity that Creed is going through, the sense of relationships and starting a family and trying to build your own name, your own legacy,” Caple said. “Things like that really touch me as I’m in that same vein as I’m trying to do the same with my life and my career. There’s the pure commercial hype of it, the ‘feeling good’ feelings that you get when watching the boxing, but the other side is purely character, purely artistic.”

Caple joined the project in December 2017, and knew he had his work cut out for him since MGM already had plans for a November 2018 release. The quick production schedule made him feel more at home, as it was not unlike working on an indie or a television series. (His TV credits include “Grown-ish.”) As for the leap in budget, Caple said he knew money wasn’t relevant to the scenes that matter most.

“What’s most important about the ‘Rocky’ franchise, which I admire the most, is that they’re so based on what happens outside the ring and the nuances and the relationships and the stories,” Caple said. “You’re looking at the budget like, ‘Oh, it’s $50 million,’ but most of that goes into the boxing, and then it’s up to me and the actors to get to the heart of the story. It’s the small moments in the film that are important, and they don’t have anything to do with budget. Those moments might as well be an independent film or a short film.”

Caple said he studied Coogler’s visceral “Creed” one-takes and watched dozens of karate films to learn the best methods for building tension and excitement in his boxing scenes. “Creed II” finds Adonis facing off against the son of Ivan Drago, the boxer who took his father’s life in “Rocky IV.” Joining the “Rocky” franchise proved game-changing for Coogler, as it ended up being the stepping stone between his first indie and the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but Caple isn’t too concerned with following a similar path.

“Choosing a project is about personal connections and feeling good about my environment, making sure I’m in a comfortable place to do our art,” Caple said. “With ‘Creed,’ you have people like Ryan Coogler, Mike, Tessa [Thompson], people of color, who are making a project together, collaborating. That’s important. That’s why this project particularly was important for me to do. It wasn’t a platform for my career but about saying something on-screen and off-screen. That’s more important to me than trying to do a bigger project.”

Caple admitted he’s appreciated joining the studio world with “Creed II,” but he’s not dead-set on doing tentpoles next. “I’m not necessarily chasing a Marvel movie or anything like that,” he said. “It’s about chasing projects that I’m just personally attached to.”

“Creed II” opens in theaters nationwide November 21.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 28 Sep 2018, 22:55

All that's been shared from the trailer on social medias in the past two days are screenshots of the Drago/Rocky stare down... 8)

Jox
Site Admin

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 29 Sep 2018, 02:23

Yup. thats the one. closing in on 3 mil likes
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby Jox on 29 Sep 2018, 13:40

Steven Caple Jr justed posted an Insta story of the score recording sessions yesterday, there's a also one from Dolph with Drago shirtless and battered in CREED II...
(sorry it seems we can't upload/attach non-link files to the forum anymore)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 30 Sep 2018, 00:52

officialslystallone

Having a little fun with Florian Munteanu who plays Viktor Drago in CREED 2 ... Fast and super strong... Great guy and hard worker... Does an wonderful job...

Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies