SHARKNADO 5: GLOBAL SWARMING (Anthony Ferrante, 2017, TV)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Sharknado 6

Postby bomaz on 12 Aug 2017, 20:10

Well, let's put this idea under a rug, let it sleep 10 or 20 years, and never think about it. If the D man has to be in a post apocalyptic film, let's hope for a supporting part in an hypothetical Mad Max 5.
bomaz

Re: SHARKNADO 5: GLOBAL SWARMING (Anthony C. Ferrante, 2017)

Postby Tom on 13 Aug 2017, 12:11

I don't mind these movies to be honest. Just as goofy time-passers. I kind of enjoy seeing just how ridiculous they can be in places. They're hugely popular too. As far as these ludicrously title monster films go, nothing has hit pop culture quite like Sharknado. It certainly hasn't hurt this Ziering guy to lead the franchise, although if I were him I would be feeling nervous because there's potentially the prospect that Dolph may be fancied to lead the franchise, and in terms of starpower and personality, he'd be the biggest star in the show. Ziering would be phased out.

From Dolph's perspective, he's done far worse, be it Shark Lake, Hijacked, the Baywatch knock off which I can't even remember the title of. Further more, it's possible that he'd earn more money leading a Sharknado film that he might from doing 2-3 turds like Shark Lake. It's a TV avenue more so than film too as they're basically made for TV/Streaming. In a weird way he could give the franchise more credibility. I'd sooner see him do more like Don't Kill It for sure, but if he's doing things just for money, he's better off doing Sharknado than Shark Lake.

At the same time he's got the prospect of another Expendables, Aquaman (which could lead to a sequel, and appearences in a Justice league films), potentially back in Arrow?? Creed 2 as well (hopefully).
Tom
Regular

Postby shooby on 13 Aug 2017, 12:51

Tom wrote:the Baywatch knock off which I can't even remember the title of.

Saf3 :o
shooby

Postby Tom on 13 Aug 2017, 14:13

Lol. That was it. I knew it was something stupid. ha ha.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 15 Aug 2017, 12:24

A French review that sums up how I feel about these movies and the cynicism of their utter "whoring":
http://www.onrembobine.fr/critiques/cri ... -swarming/
Le soucis principal avec Skarknado 5 (et le 4, le 3 et le 2), c’est qu’il est issu d’une démarche qui consiste à vouloir faire bouffer volontairement de la merde au public. Il n’y a aucun désir de faire bien derrière cette manigance à grande échelle, mais la volonté d’essayer de flatter les instincts des spectateurs avides de navets pour engranger un maximum de profit.

Un sommet de putasserie qui fait du nul pour faire du nul sans respecter ni son sujet ni son public.

SHARK LAKE may be somewhat worse (and that's up for debate) but I find the approach and mindset behind stuff like the SHARKNADO movies far worse and degrading. Sure you can make trashy ridiculous and fun movies but these are done in the worst, brainwashed, tasteless way... And a lot of our Twitter/Instagram pop culture is going in that direction which I find horrendous (and closer to the mindset of reality TV than in the tradition of B movies). 20 years ago you had stuff like FROM DUSK TILL DAWN at least.

But like I said Dolph's schedule in the next 6 months with MALEVOLENCE and CREED II might not allow him to make more than a short cameo in "f*%**¨*" SHARKNADO 6 (seemingly shooting at the same time as the Drago return)... I know he's done IN THE NAME OF THE KING 2 and a lot of stuff he's not into these past few years, but I don't see Dolph happily lead a SHARKNADO sequel. They can easily get rid of him in the beginning.

Tom wrote:potentially back in Arrow??

Wasn't his character killed in the last episode of the 5th season? (have yet to painfully watch the last 3 he was in)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 15 Aug 2017, 23:52

The only thing I remember reading in Arrow is that his character was quite interesting and seen in flashback. I guess if he's been killed off that's a dead end, although we've this genre, you never know. Maybe if they run dry of ideas they'll have Dolph back from the dead.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 16 Aug 2017, 10:24

Yeah his role is good and he stands high above the other charisma-lacking actors, the show is tedious and painful to watch though...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 27 Aug 2017, 19:32

This thing has a soundtrack score album available for download
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074NQY7GM/
http://filmmusicreporter.com/2017/08/18 ... -released/

Track Listing
1. Sharkoglyphics 1:26
2. The Call 2:20
3. The Secret 1:34
4. Shark Cave 5:24
5. Helicopter Rescue 1:56
6. London Bridge 2:13
7. Fight! 4:40
8. Make Fin Great Again 1:27
9. Parliament Sharks 1:36
10. Mustache Blimp 1:32
11. The Vortex 3:26
12. The Sisterhood 2:27
13. Sydnado 3:00
14. Jesus in Rio 5:45
15. When in Rome 2:55
16. Thank You Pope! 3:43
17. Sharkzilla 5:38
18. Safarinado (Eliza Swenson) 1:30
19. Nothing Left to Lose 5:01
20. End of Times 3:25
21. Fin's Lament 2:47
22. Semper Paratus 2:12
23. Sharknado Rhapsody (Global Swarming Version) (Quint) 2:41
24. Agent Double Uh-Oh (Hawk Theme) (Geno Lenardo & Ryan T Hope) 3:00
25. The Broken (Hawk Theme) (New Day Dawn) 3:23
Total Album Time: 75:01

And for something that claims to be low budget (don't think it is anymore) it seems it could afford a full orchestra recording.

EDIT:
Set pic from the writer
Scotty Mullen‏ @scottymullen
Coaching @Dolph_Lundgren through the intricate Shakespearean themes and nuances for his role in #Sharknado5 - reairing today at 5 on @syfy!

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 03 Sep 2017, 00:51

Dolph gets his name on the German cover...

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 09 Sep 2017, 13:17

Dolph's cameo spoiler in Japanese trailer

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 04 Oct 2017, 11:48

The US Blu-ray (not DVD) is packed with special features:
Audio Commentary
Making of
Anatomy of a Sharknado ending
Cameos: The Faces of Sharknado 5
VFX Before and After
Deleted and Alternate Scenes
Gag Reel

For some reason it's not on Amazon and available from DVDempire, Best Buy, Walmart, Fry etc.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Scifibuff5 on 25 Oct 2017, 18:06

I thought I posted this back when it first premiered on SyFy in the US but was mistaken and I can honestly say this is easily in this Bottom 10 Worst Films of All Time for sure, and him barely being in it, while great for making people actually remember him being in this turd, makes one wish he would just be in every single frame so that one wouldn't be overcome with boredom.

Hell, stick with Shark Lake, at least that was fun camp.
"No, I haven't seen any of [the new 'Punisher' movies]," - Dolph in 2009 MTV News Interview
Scifibuff5

Postby Jox on 26 Dec 2017, 20:58

From US Blu-ray review
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sharknado ... 80/#Review

Special Features and Extras 2.5 of 5

Sharknado 5: Global Swarming contains a commentary and a few additional extras. No DVD or digital versions are included.

The Making of Sharknado 5: Global Swarming (1080p, 8:48): A basic film and franchise overview with cast and crew.
Anatomy of a Sharknado Ending (1080p, 2:37): A quick recap of the movie's ending.
Deleted & Alternate Scenes (1080p, 10:48): Various additional scenes.
VFX Before & After (1080p, 2:29): A quick montage of pre- and post-VFX shots juxtaposed against one another.
Gag Reel (1080p, 1:11): As in The Obligatory.
Audio Commentary: Director Anthony C. Ferrante, Screenwriter Scotty Mullen, and Visual Effects Supervisor Glenn Campbell share their thoughts on the film.

Overall Score and Recommendation 3.0 of 5

Sequel? Oh yeah! Sharknado 5: Global Swarming leaves no guessing involved, ending on the promise of yet another entry that's certainly going to follow suit, play to the franchise's "strengths," and entertain the morbidly curious and the ever-growing franchise fan base alike. As for the fifth film, it's nothing particularly special, following more or less the same pattern of dropping new faces and backgrounds into the same core movies. The film offers a few new concepts but don't expect any radical new direction; The Asylum rightly plays it safe and will undoubtedly continue to do so until the cost-revenue graph tells them it's time to wrap and move on to the next wish-and-a-prayer project. The Blu-ray, released through Cinedigm, offers stable video and audio that are typical of the franchise. A handful of extras are included. Obviously recommended to series fans, but even as dumb and interchangeable as the movies may be, newcomers are encouraged to start back at the beginning. All five films are available on Blu-ray.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 23 Jan 2018, 14:25

Jox wrote:From US Blu-ray review
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sharknado ... 80/#Review

Anatomy of a Sharknado Ending (1080p, 2:37): A quick recap of the movie's ending.[/b]

I have not and probably never will see the movie in its entirety, yet my scholarly attitude made me buy the US edition to take a look at the extras and the commentary... The extras are what you'd expect for such a title, pedestrian and self-indugent. Notable to say though, that the featurette on the twist ending features a quick on-set interview and behind the scenes footage with Dolph who basically describes his role in the film.

From the commentary, we learn that they initially wanted to bring in Christopher Lloyd. As I thought they must have gotten Dolph last minute, possibly some time after filming had wrapped. Some of the wide shots were shots prior in Bulgaria, while Dolph's actual dialogue scene was set-up on Los Angeles soundstage / studio.

The film was barely finished when it aired on Syfy, so the Blu-ray/DVD release is slightly more polished and a few bits have been added to the final cut.
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies