ACCELERATION (Michael Merino & Daniel Zirilli, 2019)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: ACCELERATION (Michael Merino /D. Zirilli, 2019) (complet

Postby bomaz on 02 Oct 2019, 18:05

Trailer
Lame CGI, some nice lighting and camera shots, Dolph's acting sounds solid (for a 2mn trailer) and the plot doesn't seem too dumb. But it looks a tiny bit cheap. Can't wait for him to go back behind the camera.
bomaz

Postby Jox on 02 Oct 2019, 20:48

It would look even better if the image was cropped to a 2.39:1 aspect ratio.

Other than that, I don't know, Natalie Burn looks good in it as well but this is exactly the type of urban L.A. action movie I have zero interest for.

Banner:

EDIT:
YT link

EDIT bis:
Theatrical poster

Blu-ray/DVD cover

Image Image
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 02 Oct 2019, 23:56

I sure hope he gets that TV series off the ground because between seeing THE TRACKER over the weekend and now this trailer I am feeling light-headed.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Tom on 03 Oct 2019, 14:44

It looks pretty awful to be honest. Reminds me of Seagal's film Perfect Weapon (?) or whatever it was called, but it looks so fake. Way too garish. I like Winding Refn's style as much as the next person but they're amped it all up to 11 without much subtlety, and not a particularly good grading job either. Albert Pyun used to do this a lot with staining his film or shooting through filters, but that was on film, and this is digital and the effect looks 10x more garish. I can't stand over-grading either. Colour graders these days seem to want to tap dance and megaphone scream their presence all over a film when really, like great editors, you shouldn't notice them at all.

Even as a completist, unless I get offered a screener for reviewing, I don't think I'll bother with this one. Dolph, buddy, please just move on from this stuff...:(
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 04 Oct 2019, 15:24

It's especially sad when he likely took the role as a deal to make/finance WANTED MAN which now seems to be back on hold once again...

Set for 11 screens

Screen Shot 2 copy.png
Screen Shot 2 copy.png (121.59 KiB) Viewed 18142 times
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 04 Oct 2019, 20:37

It looks not too bad. At least it has some cool fights and the colours are at least more imaginative than what they did with The Tracker, which had about as much style as a 90 year old man in an old folk's home. The only thing that bugs me is that people literally cannot cut a trailer these days. That had no sense of urgency. I could have done a better job with my eyes shut.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 08 Oct 2019, 17:31

As I understand it and whether he succeeded or not, Giorgio Serafini's conception of THE TRACKER was to kind of emulate '70s thrillers such as Bronson's THE MECHANIC with a close to mute lead character, minimal and naturalistic light, which is almost the opposite of this in both accounts.

I'm not sure there's much color grading here actually, I thought it lacked some if you look at some of the first shots in the trailer (hopefully won't be the case on the released film) that scream "shot on digital video". It's more as if, as you can tell on some of the BTS pics, the DP was asked to do the same type lighting he did in a couple scenes of DON'T KILL IT during the entire film...

You're right about the DRIVE vibe, Tom, didn't think of it, completely lacking of the Ryan Gosling/Carey Mulligan subtle relationship and chemistry though, and that's an issue. The badass mother dealing with her son's kidnapping looks overlooked and skipped over so not sure it'll have the same impact and not everyone can be Nicholas Winding Refn.

Now, I also wonder when will Tarantino stop being "a model" for ensemble gangster type films? Because that's been an issue for a long time... And casting Danny Trejo and non-actor Chuck Liddell (or any other UFC/MMA/wrestler) is never helping.

Stills

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 10 Oct 2019, 15:42

Greater sense of urgency with this one and better cut. I was just saying to Tom last night, the budgets for these really are at rock bottom. Aside from digital muzzle flashes you don't even get the odd exploding car now. Same with Tracker, the action was non-existent.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby savagesketch on 11 Oct 2019, 07:11

New episode is here, this time featuring an exclusive interview with the star and producer of ACCELERATION, Natalie Burn!

https://imustbreakthispodcast.wordpress ... eleration/

As always, please continue subscribing. Also, please feel free to leave a review on iTunes, Stitcher, or your podcast app of choice!
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 11 Oct 2019, 21:27

You didn't want to ask her about WANTED MAN?

Seems like there are bus top benches adverts all over the place in L.A., I don't think even SKIN TRADE had that:

Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 11 Oct 2019, 21:44

Are these real ? they look like photoshop editing for a publicty brief or something :?
bomaz

Postby Jox on 11 Oct 2019, 22:49

I hope they're real otherwise this one would have been more than bad taste (and kind of already is)... :?
(scroll down)
Screen Shot 5.png
Screen Shot 5.png (392.41 KiB) Viewed 17923 times
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 12 Oct 2019, 07:54

My bad then (and this instagram post is of, IMO, poor taste as well).
bomaz

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies