AQUAMAN AND THE LOST KINGDOM (James Wan, 2023)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: AQUAMAN AND THE LOST KINGDOM (James Wan, 2023) (in post)

Postby savagesketch on 22 Feb 2023, 06:18

Jox wrote:New reports from yet another round of test screening are not very good... :?

Seems to me that Warner and DC shot themselves in the foot when they let James Gunn announce that he was resetting and rebooting the DCEU months before this slate of DCEU films were even released. It's difficult to generate excitement for any of these films when they all amount to nothing considering they're just gonna be scrapped in the next year anyway. From a storytelling perspective, there're no stakes. In most jobs, you at least let your employees finish their day of work before you fire them. It was ridiculous that they made this announcement when they still had three DC-set movies waiting to be released. I honestly think that many critics and test screening audiences are letting Gunn's announcement cloud their opinions and reviews...
savagesketch

Re: AQUAMAN AND THE LOST KINGDOM (James Wan, 2022) (in post)

Postby Jox on 22 Feb 2023, 22:14

I'm not very savvy regarding the DCEU and its politics history, but in any case that means they're gonna mess it with it all they can, perhaps add more reshoots (and possibly make it worse if those test assessments are indeed as bad as they say) etc.

The first film was decent for what it was but it was all over the place and, elliptic and kind of nonsensical at times, so I can't imagine how it is if it's really that bad...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby alex.sp89 on 23 Feb 2023, 18:51

if they are going to mess like they did with Justice League 2017 version re shots I would rather leave it as it is. Look what happened with SILT re-editing in 1991 in Dolph case and Punisher deleting prologue that make more sense for Jeroen Krabbe character and DL friendship with LG jr.
But it looks like all blockbusters are having the same bad test screen results - Indiana Jones 5, The EX 4. Only Creed 3 gained good reviews if is not a untrue again...
alex.sp89

Postby Jox on 19 Mar 2023, 01:56

Rumor of another DC character (other than Batman) making a cameo is on-going.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 28 Mar 2023, 23:33

Jason Momoa thinks Aquaman will absolutely be involved in the DCU's future
https://www.gamesradar.com/jason-momoa- ... exclusive/
... in an interview with Total Film magazine (opens in new tab) in the new issue with Fast X on the cover, Momoa shared that he's confident Aquaman will remain a big part of DC's future.

"Peter [Safran]’s my producer [on Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom], and is a dear friend," he tells Total Film (opens in new tab). "I absolutely think Aquaman will be involved in the DCU. It’s on, bro – there’s no one bigger than Aquaman! But, also, I hope people are excited to see the new one. It’s fun. I really enjoy doing comedy. There’s some really funny stuff with Patrick Wilson. I really adore him. We had a great time working together. It’s like we’re brothers. There’s a lot of cool stuff happening in this one."
Jox
Site Admin

Postby alex.sp89 on 01 Apr 2023, 09:05

I hope it will turn out a real blockbuster like the new heads of the studio promised after cancelling the Batgirl movie in August 2022 (after almost be really in post production). Rarely it happens like that in movie history spending 90 million and then boom it will never be released....
alex.sp89

Postby Jox on 06 Apr 2023, 10:54

‘Aquaman 2’ Shifts Release Date Five Days Earlier,
https://deadline.com/2023/04/aquaman-2- ... 235318958/
Warner Bros decided to wake up a sleepy day with some release-date changes. The first, James Wan’s Aquaman & The Lost Kingdom, is going five days earlier on Wednesday, December 20 this year instead of Christmas Day.

The DC pic will open against Sony’s Ghostbusters sequel on Wednesday and will face off against Illumination/Universal’s Migration on Friday.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 20 Apr 2023, 22:24

Aquaman 2 Is Reportedly Being Test Screened Way Too Much
https://gamerant.com/aquaman-2-screen-t ... rner-bros/

‘Aquaman and The Lost Kingdom’ Has Test-Screened At Least Seven Times, So Far
https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2023/4 ... nkhw7gyepa
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 24 Apr 2023, 12:50

Teaser poster at CinemaCon

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 25 Apr 2023, 23:22

DC Brings New ‘Flash’ Trailer, First Look at ‘Aquaman’ Sequel to CinemaCon
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235401625/

Aquaman And The Last Kingdom Footage Reveals Black Manta As The Big Bad (With A Big Upgrade)
https://www.looper.com/1268107/aquaman- ... a-big-bad/

Aquaman And The Lost Kingdom sees Nicole Kidman and a smidge of Amber Heard
https://www.avclub.com/aquaman-and-the- ... 1850374689

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom’ Trailer Promises Another Outrageous Adventure
https://www.thewrap.com/aquaman-trailer ... cinemacon/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 28 Apr 2023, 22:15

Apparently Jason Momoa's 50-page treatment for the sequel was kind of dismissed by WB
https://www.menshealth.com/entertainmen ... interview/
Momoa’s feelings about Aquaman—frustration, bitterness, apathy—are less about the character and more about how the character has been treated. “It’s not that I don’t care about Aquaman; it’s a wonderful character,” he says. “Aquaman is probably the hardest character in comic-book history. He’s made fun of and ridiculed, but I tried to give it heart and soul, and I’m proud of it in certain ways. Do I feel pressure for [the sequel] to do well? No. All I can do is give it my all. But it’s in a lot of other people’s hands.”

He’s referring to the turbulence of “different directors having different ideas of who Aquaman is” (Momoa has played Aquaman, aka Arthur Curry, in three other movies in the DC Extended Universe) and, more specifically, to the 50-page treatment he and Mendoza wrote for the sequel that he says Warner Bros. bought but did not follow completely. That bugs him and spins him into an impassioned, salty riff.

“That’s the reason why I love directing and creating. At the end of Chief of War, I’m like, ‘Yeah, feel free to knock, ridicule it. If it isn’t good, then we suck. It’s our fault.’ Yeah. I don’t wanna just go like, ‘I’m acting. I’ll be in my trailer.’ I love being able to burn for what I believe in. I’ve seen some of the most shocking acting performances firsthand and watched them edited, and they were amazing. I wish I could tell you who it was. I’m like, ‘What the fuck?’ I watched this guy who had to be fucking propped up. They read the lines to him. But this motherfucker killed it when the edit came in and was applauded for it. At that point, I was like, ‘Wow, this shit is made in the edit.’”
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 03 Jun 2023, 00:57

James Wan on Finishing ‘Aquaman’ Sequel, AI Fears and Where ‘Saw’ Came From
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235503363/
You then ventured into superhero territory with 2018’s Aquaman, which, at $1.14 billion, is currently the highest-grossing DC movie of all time. How much adjusting have you had to do to December’s sequel, Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom, to fit DC’s reset by way of The Flash?

I’ve had to make adjustments all along the way. The DCU has been through lots of different versions, and one of the things that was challenging about this film was keeping track of what’s going on. Fortunately, the Aquaman universe is pretty far removed from the rest of the world. We’re going to many different underwater kingdoms that are not necessarily related to what’s happening with the other movies and characters, so we’re stand-alone in that respect. So I can just tell my story on its own without being affected too much, but at the same time, I have to be mindful of what’s been happening.

Do you have an idea of when you will finish post?

I hope to finish it up soon-ish. We have the DGA thing [contract negotiations] coming up next month, and so there’s just some stuff that we have to finish. It’s a big movie. It has a lot of visual effects and moving parts, but we’re moving in that direction, and I cannot wait for people to see it. I think people are going to be excited to see that this movie is quite different from the first movie in terms of tone. It’s a little bit more serious, and we’re dealing with issues like climate change. We’re not afraid to lean into that in a big way, because the Aquaman comic book, even way back when, has always been environmentally conscious. He’s always been someone who’s fought to keep the ocean clean, and it feels more relevant in the world that we’re living in today. So this movie has something to talk about, but it’s still a fun action-fantasy movie.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 29 Jun 2023, 20:50

AQUAMAN AND THE LOST KINGDOM's James Wan Touts The Film's Standalone Nature
https://comicbookmovie.com/aquaman/aqua ... #gs.2jp2qm

"Well, Aquaman – even the first film – has always been a very standalone film. That was always our approach: that it kind of lives in its own world, and that's kind of how we've approached The Lost Kingdom as well."

"You know, people love Jason Momoa; people love him playing this role; and people love the action visuals of this space and this world. And that's what we're doing: we're taking it to the next level and we are still expanding – and just any fans of Aquaman the character, that love Black Manta, this is the next level and I'm very excited to finally put out there to show them what we've been working on all these years."
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 04 Jul 2023, 16:39

Amber Heard to Deadline:
https://deadline.com/2023/06/amber-hear ... 24684/amp/
DEADLINE: You’ve got this coming out in theaters in October, and you’ve got Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom coming in December. DC’s been through some adversity with The Flash not overwhelming, Black Adam either. The first Aquaman was the brightest spot in the DC canon excepting Batman. Is this a movie you’re excited about?

HEARD: Oh, of course. These are very different kinds of projects representing two very different ends of the spectrum in my industry. There’s a ton of pressure on these big franchise movies, with millions and millions of dollars at stake, and compromises are part of trying to make it the most successful thing it can be. Then on the other end of the spectrum is a small indie film like In The Fire, a work of art and work of love, with nowhere near the same resources, and so there are compromises there. The best luck you can have as an actor is to be able to balance both. Aquaman, that franchise and the machinery behind it, I’m very honored, honored to be a part of that. And then there are these small passion projects like In The Fire, where I’m proud to have gotten to know the filmmaker and the cast, and we got dirty together, to breathe life into this story. There’s something cool about that, and I think success is an actor who is able to have both those things.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 10 Jul 2023, 06:44

A new set of reshoots happened recently, according to Patrick Wilson.
bomaz

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies