AQUAMAN AND THE LOST KINGDOM (James Wan, 2023)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

AQUAMAN AND THE LOST KINGDOM (James Wan, 2023)

Postby Jox on 03 Apr 2019, 10:55

Given the sequel will not start filming until 2020 or 2021, this must be purely speculative:
'Aquaman 2' Release Date, Cast, Plot, Other Details Unveiled
http://en.businesstimes.cn/articles/110 ... veiled.htm

'Aquaman' Producer Peter Safran Shares First Details About the Sequel
https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/04/0 ... the-sequel
Are you ready to return to Atlantis? Aquaman may have only recently landed on Blu-ray and Digital HD, but the blockbuster superhero origin featuring Jason Momoa and Amber Heard has already been greenlit for a sequel slated for release on December 16, 2022. Yes, that’s nearly four years away, which may sound like a long time to fans eager to see Arthur Curry on the big screen once more, but the creative team behind Aquaman are already gearing up to return to the underwater world of Atlantis.

Aquaman producer Peter Safran will be returning for the sequel along with James Wan and writer David Leslie Johnson, and we caught up with him to discuss the much anticipated follow-up at the recent grand opening of DC Universe: The Exhibit's new Aquaman presentation at the Warner Bros. Studio Tour Hollywood. With the 2020 release date announced, he along with the rest of the creative team are currently in planning mode for the sequel.

"We're really figuring out now what the story wants to be," Safran says. "We have a pretty good sense of where we want it to go. But there are a lot of avenues we can go down because we created such a fully-fledged world in the first movie. We have a lot of options and opportunities."

According to Safran, he's working with Wan, Momoa, Johnson and DC to figure out "the best path" for the sequel's story now that Arthur has ascended the throne in Atlantis and earned the control over the seven seas, finally bringing to life his comic book destiny. And Safran promises that now that Arthur is officially king, "it's going to be exciting, it's going to be great."

"We feel like we've got a fair bit of pressure on us because the audience loved the first movie so much," Safran adds. "And we want to make sure we don't disappoint them in the second."

But luckily, an unintended advantage for the sequel has already proven to be quite useful for the Aquaman producers as they begin to plot out production on the sequel.

"We did an enormous amount of R&D in the first movie, in terms of costumes, wardrobe environments, visual effects, creating the assets of the visual effects—all of that took so much time," Safran acknowledges. "We've done that now. So, we're bringing all of that knowledge base to the second movie and I think it's going to make it a much smoother process and just give us a lot more freedom because we already know what your weather restrictions are and also what the workarounds are."

While Safran is, of course, a professional, he’s also a real fan of the character and the first film, and he can hardly contain his glee when it comes to making the sequel. Part of that means already knowing what he wants (and needs) to include in the second film.

"Oh, I'm going to have my way," he says with a laugh. "I'm definitely going to have my way!"

But for now, he's remaining cagey on revealing any of his personal wishes for the sequel.

"I think that because we all see the same movie,” Safran says of where the second movie will go. “I think we are all pulling in the same direction. I know what James and Jason and myself all want to see happen and that's what's going to happen. That's what the story is going to be. We all have a voice in it."

He pauses, then adds, "And Jason's authenticity as that character is the one thing you want to make sure you never lose. That's what he's bringing to the table for the next one as well and it's incredibly exciting."
Jox
Site Admin

Re: AQUAMAN 2 (James Wan?, 2022) (rumored)

Postby Jox on 29 Jun 2019, 14:16

James Wan’s Next Film Won’t Be 'Aquaman 2'
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/247562 ... -aquaman-2
“I think I kinda know [what I want to direct next] (laughs)… It won’t be Aquaman 2 just yet. I have something else I’m cooking up. I’m not ready to share just yet.”

"Just yet", so Wan hints he probably likely will helm the sequel...
Jox
Site Admin

Re: AQUAMAN 2 (James Wan?, 2022) (announced) (Dolph rumored)

Postby dude hallenbeck on 30 Jun 2019, 08:41

At the moment the first film's Producer-writer Geoff Johns has no involvement this time around, so I'm curious if some of the big issues I had with Aquaman will be rectified.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Jox on 18 Oct 2019, 00:49

Next year, when Momoa starts filming the Aquaman sequel, he will be able to bring even more of his ideas to the role. He’ll be working more actively with the creative team in the development of the project. “I came in with a big pitch,” he says. “I came in with the whole thing mapped out, and they loved it.”

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/t ... view-2019/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 24 Oct 2019, 23:19

Jason Momoa Teases 'Way Bigger' 'Aquaman' Sequel (Exclusive)
https://www.etonline.com/jason-momoa-te ... ive-134793
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 27 Nov 2019, 00:57

It's gonna be a while before cameras star rolling on AQUAMAN 2 ...

DC Films Plots Future With Superman, Green Lantern and R-Rated Movies (EXCLUSIVE)
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/dc-c ... 203415757/
DC is also looking to capitalize on the box office success of “Aquaman.” It is currently looking for a director for “The Trench,” a spinoff about a group of vicious undersea creatures who played a supporting role in “Aquaman.” For the next film centered on Jason Momoa’s king of Atlantis, DC has once again tapped James Wan and is hoping to commence shooting in early 2021.
Jox
Site Admin

Re: AQUAMAN 2 (James Wan?, 2022) (announced) (Dolph unconfir

Postby Jox on 09 Dec 2019, 20:37

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II:
We have a date of December 2022. Hopefully, that will hold. Black Manta will be back — I feel confident in saying that. I’m excited to step into that world again and cause some more trouble. I really want to add more personality and more character to David Cane and flesh him out in Aquaman 2 and give him more of a journey.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/12/08/watchmen-d ... mateen-ii/
Jox
Site Admin

Re: AQUAMAN 2 (James Wan, 2022) (announced; DL To Be Confir

Postby Jox on 21 Aug 2020, 18:38

James Wan Says To Expect More Trench-Like Horror Touches For ‘Aquaman 2’
https://heroichollywood.com/james-wan-a ... hes-tease/
One such question asked James Wan if we would be seeing similar horror scenes like the Trench scene in Aquaman 2. Wan answered with an enthusiastic yes:

“Ambarish, I would say yes. Just like the first movie had a touch of my horror sensibility in it in regards to the Trench sequence I would say that there will be a little bit of that in this next one. I think it’s something that is a big part of who I am and just naturally comes out in these kinds of films and especially in a movie like Aquaman where the story takes place in these underwater worlds which can be very scary. And so naturally my love for the horror genre just means that I latch myself to these scenes and give them a little bit more…uh…of my scary sauce on them.”
Jox
Site Admin

Re: AQUAMAN 2 (James Wan?, 2022) (announced; DL To Be Confir

Postby Jox on 23 Aug 2020, 08:53

James Wan: ‘Aquaman 2’ Is More Serious and Relevant – DC Fandome
https://deadline.com/2020/08/aquaman-2- ... 203020862/
“I think the second one is a little bit more serious, a little bit more relevant in the world we are living in today. I think that’s where it wants to go,” said Wan.

Patrick Wilson, who plays Orm Marius, told Wan he’d like to see new worlds for Aquaman 2. Wilson commented, “I know [Wan] loves world-building and I’d like to see some of that. I know you’re going to push that ocean. There’s a lot of unexplored ocean!”

Wan assured there will be new worlds and that Wilson should stay excited. Wan said, “I can definitely guarantee you new worlds in this next one and I think you’re going to be very excited as an actor.”

(unseen behind the scenes pics and footage)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 26 Nov 2020, 14:12

According to the latest news through Dolph, it would be planned for a London shoot (likely around next summer at Pinewood studios).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 26 Nov 2020, 18:32

It's great Dolph has been able to pepper his filmography with these bigger productions in recent years. In an ideal world we'd get these plus directorial efforts and no shit like Shark Lake, but I understand there are bills to pay.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 26 Nov 2020, 18:40

I hope now that he has finally gotten back behind the camera, he focuses on those directorial efforts and manages to get MALEVOLENCE off the ground next. It doesn't require a huge budget or set pieces but it needs a longer schedule than 19 days to be able focus on the drama and performances... In any case I'd take anything he gets to direct and put his heart in.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 26 Nov 2020, 18:44

Time really is one of the major factors and unfortunately time is money. Shooting schedules (especially for low budget movies) are getting shorter and shorter. We just shot a feature in September in 12 days (that our very own Tom wrote!) and I'd love the luxury of 20 days but each time is it a case of, well that'll cost a lot more money.

I'm really looking forward to Castle Falls, at least Dolph's directorial efforts are always much more styilsh and you can tell there's much more passion to craft a thing that looks like an actual movie (unlike The Tracker which doesn't feel like anything).
Nathan
Regular

Re: AQUAMAN 2 (James Wan, 2022) (announced)

Postby Nathan on 02 Feb 2021, 02:47

Seems like it could be a green light for Dolph...

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/aquaman/ ... #gs.rtqd9n
Nathan
Regular

Postby shooby on 02 Feb 2021, 13:04

Jox wrote:According to the latest news through Dolph, it would be planned for a London shoot (likely around next summer at Pinewood studios).

With the benediction of Bozo The Clown Johnson :wink:
shooby

Next

Return to Dolph's Movies