AQUAMAN AND THE LOST KINGDOM (James Wan, 2023)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: AQUAMAN AND THE LOST KINGDOM (James Wan, 2023)

Postby Jox on 27 Dec 2023, 21:19

552,105 admissions for its 1st week in France (against 940,003 for the original)
https://www.boxofficepro.fr/box-office- ... nt-le-cap/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 07 Jan 2024, 21:01

Passed the $100 million mark at domestic box office, bringing the worldwide total at $335 million.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 08 Jan 2024, 08:55

THe movie is showing some legs internationally, especially in Asia (after only two weeks, it was already in the top 20 all time movies in indonesia).
The movie will at least make $350millions, and it's safe to say it might make $400. Yes it's a bit of a bomb in the us, but worlwide box office will be acceptable I think (and, let's be honest, all thanks to Dolph, of course 8) )
bomaz

Postby TEMIRLAN on 08 Jan 2024, 12:00

Back from theatre. The movie is on the level of the first one. Not better, not worse. The theatre was 60-70% packed. Still hitting theatre here in Kazakhstan. Was glad to see Dolph on the big screen again. Back in days when his career was in worst position, I couldn't imagine that one day I would watch him sharing scences with one of the best actresses ever Nicole Kidman. Was very nice to be watching it. If you liked the first one you will like it too. Dolph's screenpresence was not bad.
TEMIRLAN

Postby Jox on 11 Jan 2024, 23:12

Dolph Lundgren disappointed his, Amber Heard's 'Aquaman' roles reduced in reshoots
https://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/ ... 705000713/
"My opinion is that I thought the original script was great," Lundgren told UPI in a Zoom interview for his new movie, Wanted Man. "I was a bigger part of it and Amber Heard was a bigger part of it."

Lundgren said other story points were added in reshoots.

"The studio decided, I guess, to just reshoot a bunch of footage to try to rebuild a slightly different storyline," Lundgren said. "That's tricky because you can't reshoot the whole movie."

Lundgren plays underwater King Nereus. His daughter, Mera (Heard), is Aquaman's wife.

In the finished film, Mera is injured early and recovers for much of the movie. She and Nereus join Aquaman, Orm (Patrick Wilson) and Atlanna (Nicole Kidman) in a journey to stop Black Manta (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II) in the finale.

"When you start inserting different story elements into something [with which[ there was a unity that worked, then you can get in trouble," Lungren said. "It was a little frustrating for me. I felt a little disappointed, but life goes on."
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 12 Jan 2024, 19:23

Vern
https://outlawvern.com/2024/01/11/aquam ... t-kingdom/
In its low points, AND THE LOST KINGDOM starts feeling like a more visually appealing Stephen Sommers film – things that in theory are very fun and cool become tiresome as they’re thrown at us without much rhythm or sense. It would melt into uninvolving NOISE! NOISE! NOISE! NOISE! for a bit but then I’d be looking at MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE star Dolph Lundgren and Academy Award Winner Nicole Kidman standing underwater examining a hologram and talking about the squid that’s gonna help Aquaman, whose name is an acronym and who she mentions plays several instruments (because he’s the one who played drums in the first movie). And then I would fall in love with this world again.
I love that they’re so all over the map tonally and stylistically. It’s so stupid and wonderful that this so-called cinematic universe started with a Nolan-produced, desaturated Superman that consciously evokes Terence Malick, and ends with bright orange Aquaman standing at a podium between Dolph Lundgren and an animated lobster man making a speech to the world about unity between sea and surface dwellers. It wasn’t by design, but they ended up encompassing a broad spectrum of super hero stories, a nice tribute to the versatility of the genre and the medium that originated it. Rest in peace Detective Comics Extended Universe, you big ugly bastard. You’re in a better place now, reunited with Martha.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 18 Jan 2024, 23:26

US physical media release out March 12
https://www.amazon.com/Aquaman-Lost-Kin ... 0CQPGKHT4/

The home video release will contain the following bonus features:

Finding the Lost Kingdom: Go behind the scenes as director James Wan reveals how he and the cast and crew pulled off their biggest endeavor yet, an epic sequel to the largest grossing film in the history of DC.

Aquaman: Worlds Above and Below: When the filmmakers set out to create a sequel that eclipsed the original in scale and scope, they knew they would have to send Arthur and the rest of the cast to all kinds of new wild and wonderful worlds both above and below the sea.

It's a Manta World: Black Manta is more powerful than ever now that he has discovered the Lost Kingdom of Necrus and taken possession of the Black Trident. From inspiration to execution, filmmakers reveal how they leveled Black Manta up to the realm of supervillains.

Necrus, The Lost Black City: Ages ago the great battle for the earth took place here, in this legendary lost Atlantean city. Discover how the filmmakers created the Black City from its "surface city" concept and its inhabitants: Undead Necrusians (Zombies), to its execution.

Escape from the Deserter World: From idea to execution, explore how the filmmakers created this barren desert landscape and the Deserter Prison, how its creatures and inhabitants were brought to life, and how they planned and executed the daring Orm "breakout" sequence.

Brawling at Kingfish's Lair: The Citadel is the last frontier of the ocean, a deep trench filled with sunken old ships, stacked high like a rusty city. From concept to completion, discover Kingfish's Lair, a bar within, where the worst of the worst hang out.

Oh TOPO!: The Tactical Observation and Pursuit Operative Octopus is a living legend and all-time fan favorite. Director James Wan and the filmmakers discuss the decision behind bringing TOPO back to the sequel and its promotion to Arthur's on-screen sidekick.

Image Image

Image Image

Walmart exclusive steelbook
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 21 Jan 2024, 22:15

As of today, $114 million at domestic BO, approaching $400 million worldwide, not that bad overall
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/r ... we_table_6
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 24 Jan 2024, 22:45

Approaching 2 million admissions in France and now in the top 20 films of the year at the French BO...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 26 Jan 2024, 19:32

Yes, the movie is proving to have very descent legs in the US too(a 4.16 ratio [best w.e/ total domestic gross] so far, where The Flash had 1.97, Black Adam 2.51 or The Marvels 1.83). The first Aquaman had a 4.94 ratio.
bomaz

Postby bomaz on 29 Jan 2024, 12:09

Well, watched this one last night. Not as bad as i thought it would be, but not as "good" (hum) as the first one, in my opinion. Dolph's part was pretty sizeable I thought, more in the line of Dafoe's role in the first one. Cool to see he has a (very) little arc with Orm.
Too bad the movie suffered from production matters and studio politics.
I hope Dolph had a good relationship with the cast and James Wan, as I would love to see him work with him in the future (or even with Patrick Wilson the director). Would love even more to see him act with Nicole Kidman.
But I would pass on further collaboration with Jason Momoa (once again, just my opinion).
bomaz

Postby Jox on 29 Jan 2024, 19:37

bomaz wrote: Dolph's part was pretty sizeable I thought, more in the line of Dafoe's role in the first one. Cool to see he has a (very) little arc with Orm.

What's unusual for Dolph, especially in a big movie, is that he is given quite a bit of exposition to deliver, even if it's off-screen as voice-over.

I hope Dolph had a good relationship with the cast and James Wan, as I would love to see him work with him in the future (or even with Patrick Wilson the director). Would love even more to see him act with Nicole Kidman.

Yes! James Wan it depends on what kind of project, but Patrick Wilson and Nicole Kidman for sure. I didn't think much of Wilson until I saw him in Jason Reitman's great little movie YOUNG ADULT (starring Charlize Theron)... And he looks more like Dolph's brother than Momoa's haha!

But I would pass on further collaboration with Jason Momoa (once again, just my opinion).

A few years before they met on the first AQUAMAN, I remember sitting with Dolph telling me he was thinking of Momoa for a role after he'd seen him in Walter Hill / Stallone's BULLET TO THE HEAD...

EDIT:

Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies