SHOWDOWN AT THE GRAND (Orson Oblowitz, 2023)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: SHOWDOWN AT THE GRAND (Orson Oblowitz, 2023)

Postby Jox on 12 Dec 2023, 17:12

December 21 at NYC's Angelika Film Center
followed by a Q&A with Actor Terrence Howard & producer Mira Howard
https://www.angelikafilmcenter.com/vill ... -the-grand

Shout Factory's Blu-ray out today (with audio commentary)

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 13 Dec 2023, 14:42

I didn't know Terrence Malick was an actor and starring in this flick! :mrgreen:
https://www.imdb.com/review/rw9458256/?ref_=tt_urv
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 30 Dec 2023, 19:08

Blu-ray review
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Showdown ... 78/#Review

Video Quality 4.5 of 5

The AVC encoded image (2.38:1 aspect ratio) presentation for "Showdown at the Grand" works with the picture's moody lighting, often emphasizing neon brightness of the marquee and atmospherics inside the theater, examining purples and reds. The heat of the city also registers with browns and yellows. Film-within-a-film activity carries defined primaries with this genre entertainment, with a more saturated look to help identify the age of the productions. Skin tones are natural. Detail is strong, examining textured skin particulars on sweaty, aged performers, and costuming choices remain passably fibrous. Theater interiors carry plenty of decorative additions, which are open for inspection. Exteriors handle with compelling depth. Delineation is satisfactory.

Audio Quality 4.5 of 5

The 5.1 DTS-HD MA mix secures sharp dialogue exchanges, preserving thespian limitations when it comes to pronunciation. Emotional outbursts are comfortable as well. Scoring offers crisp support and instrumentation, and soundtrack selections are defined. Musical moods go circular, with surrounds somewhat active, including brief panning effects. Low-end is satisfactory, exploring percussion and surges in violence. Sound effects are sharp throughout the listening event, from the force of weaponry to the nuances of film exhibition, with whirring projector events. Atmospherics are also alert at times, carrying theater echo and patron bustle.

Special Features and Extras 2.5 of 5

Commentary features writer/director Orson Oblowitz.

And a Theatrical Trailer is included.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 07 Jan 2024, 21:32

Screening with Q&A at the American Cinematheque (Loz Feliz, LA) on Jan 19
https://www.americancinematheque.com/no ... d-1-19-24/

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 11 Jan 2024, 10:27

Aussie IG ads

Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 02 Feb 2024, 08:29

Newest episode has arrived! This time we’re looking at the two films that Lundgren closed out 2023 with… AQUAMAN 2 and SHOWDOWN AT THE GRAND! Our own Chris Prentice returns to help me discuss SHOWDOWN, while David Rosen invited me back onto his pod, Piecing it Together to discuss AQUA 2! Enjoy!

https://imustbreakthispodcast.wordpress ... the-grand/

As always, please feel free to rate and review the show on iTunes, or wherever you go to subscribe!
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 02 Feb 2024, 18:31

I had a blast watching SATG, this is one of the best films that DL has been involved with in recent years.

And for a very small budget and tight schedule, Orson Oblowitz delivers a rather slick movie in every department. And it's such a love letter to cinema and cinephiles in general.

I recommend listening to the Blu/DVD commentary as well, you can tell from the film itself but Oblowitz has tons of various movie nods and references that even I could not catch...

Highly recommended from me.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Krom on 07 Mar 2024, 09:19

Jox wrote:I had a blast watching SATG, this is one of the best films that DL has been involved with in recent years.

And for a very small budget and tight schedule, Orson Oblowitz delivers a rather slick movie in every department. And it's such a love letter to cinema and cinephiles in general.

I recommend listening to the Blu/DVD commentary as well, you can tell from the film itself but Oblowitz has tons of various movie nods and references that even I could not catch...

Highly recommended from me.

Totally agree, the most Tarantinesque project in Dolph’s career, i hope it will get more attention in time!
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular

Postby Nathan on 05 Apr 2024, 14:47

Finally got around to watching this.

Unlike Shark Lake, The Tracker etc. this movie was actually made by people who love movies and not by people who seem to have contempt for the audience.

Production values, lighting, camera work, script - all miles above the average Dolph movie these days. The script is actually a script - thoughtful, well written and smattered with references. The way it is shot in particular shows they took time to choreograph, block and shotlist. Not like the one wide shot per scene you get in movies like Hard Night Falling. Here there's actually a narrative and a plethora of well framed shots with lots of movement.

As a result it actually plays and cuts like a movie, moving seamlessly between shots. Some of the editing is a tad avant garde especially the way it keeps cutting to Dolph's fake movies but it makes it far more interesting than anything recent - and at least they chose a style as opposed to having to style at all.

It's both a positive and a negative though because it shows you just how poor some of Dolph's movies (like Hard Night Falling) have become, through no fault of his own of course.

I don't know what the budget was or how long they had to shoot but it feels more lavish on every level than a lot of other recent Dolph movies. Terence Howard is really good in it and so is Dolph. Some of his lines were unexpected and had me laughing.

Now...why can't all movies at this level put in this amount of effort.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 06 Apr 2024, 17:50

Agreed 100%, and I'm looking forward to watching it again. Oblovitz is a genuine cinephile and it shows also in his pleasant and informative audio commentary...

And the budget / schedule apparently were as tight as other DTVs...
Jox
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Dolph's Movies