SILENT TRIGGER (Russell Mulcahy, 1996)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: SILENT TRIGGER (Russell Mulcahy, 1996)

Postby Daan on 06 Jan 2015, 15:33

Quick question: is the 1 disc blu ray the same uncut version of the movie? Medienversand lists its running time at 87 minutes, whereas the running time for the 2 disc version is listed at 94.

Just wondering if they're erroneous, as I'd like to own this movie on Blu-Ray, but 30 bucks and international postage is a little much considering I never watch extras, etc. (Even if I appreciate the packaging and the effort having gone into the booklet :wink: ).
Daan

Postby Jox on 06 Jan 2015, 15:59

It's a mistake from Medienversand. Both are the same version, uncut and 94 mins. By the way http://www.dvdparadies.at seems to be a good place as well, with slightly cheaper shipping for one disc (7€ even to the US!).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby waxman on 06 Jan 2015, 19:10

I received the blu ray disks of Silent Trigger and the Defender last week. I tried a Sony and a Toshiba region A players and both of the players did not play either of the disks. None of the buttons work during the region mismatch screen. I believe the trick one of the Blu-ray.com members said works only for a certain bland of players? I did some further research online and found that Samsung players might work this way. I will have to try some other brand players and see whether any of those work.

However, I was able to watch the Silent Trigger DVD on my laptop using VLC player (other software specifically designed for DVD play didn't work due to region mismatch), so it was worth getting the BD/DVD combo digipack after all. I can tell that the DVD quality is so much better than the highland bootleg (which I believe to be a rip off of a French version). I actually like the color grading of region 1 DVD (more flashy look) but Pan and Scan was always painful to watch. I also enjoyed the Altieri's interview a lot. Most of the interview content was already covered in Jox's excellent liner notes but it was fun to know some other bits of interesting info behind the production (such as the scripted-but-never-shot riverside battle flashback). Unlike some other recently released special editions of other Dolph movies, this does not have interview with Dolph (I wonder Subkultur never approached him?). I am a sucker for special features such as making-of or interviews, so it would have been nicer to have more of these. But I am glad ST finally got the proper BD treatment it deserves. Considering how good the DVD quality is, BD gotta be amazing. Definitely worth the money spent (cost me about $80 Canadian, including shipping. The most I've ever spent on a single movie). I will just have to find a way to actually watch the BD.
waxman

Postby Jox on 06 Jan 2015, 19:59

Thanks for your feedback and dedication! Glad you could watch the DVD but I hope you can manage to see the Blu-ray one day. ;)
waxman wrote:I received the blu ray disks of Silent Trigger and the Defender last week. I tried a Sony and a Toshiba region A players and both of the players did not play either of the disks. None of the buttons work during the region mismatch screen. I believe the trick one of the Blu-ray.com members said works only for a certain bland of players? I did some further research online and found that Samsung players might work this way. I will have to try some other brand players and see whether any of those work.

Sorry to hear that, I sent your feedback and asked the guy who told me if he could help...

waxman wrote:I can tell that the DVD quality is so much better than the highland bootleg (which I believe to be a rip off of a French version).

Yeah it was blent of the French DVD and a 4/3 version of the main title sequence (since the French replaced it the initial VFX of the credit fonts)

waxman wrote:I also enjoyed the Altieri's interview a lot. Most of the interview content was already covered in Jox's excellent liner notes but it was fun to know some other bits of interesting info behind the production (such as the scripted-but-never-shot riverside battle flashback).

Thanks. What Sergio Altieri forgot to mention, is that the omitted riverside battle flashback was kind of replacing (or the other way around rather) the "no man's land road massacre", that became a crucial part of the film but was not in the script (but easier to produce and shoot since it's not on water).

Unlike some other recently released special editions of other Dolph movies, this does not have interview with Dolph (I wonder Subkultur never approached him?).

I did put them in touch and they were supposed to interview Mulcahy as well but for some reason lost contact with both of them who were busy at the time and unfortunately Subkultur already had a deadline and couldn't wait longer. It was fortunate that I could hook them up with Sergio Altieri, whom it had taken me quite some research and wit to track down to interview him myself a few years back...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Daan on 07 Jan 2015, 00:58

Jox wrote:It's a mistake from Medienversand. Both are the same version, uncut and 94 mins. By the way http://www.dvdparadies.at seems to be a good place as well, with slightly cheaper shipping for one disc (7€ even to the US!).

Thanks for the reply, much obliged.

Ended up going for the 2-disc version anyways, though. You guys talking about it in this topic won me over.
Plus, it's my favourite Dolph movie, so if there's one to own a nice edition of :)
Daan

Postby Jox on 07 Jan 2015, 13:17

Jox wrote:Thanks for your feedback and dedication! Glad you could watch the DVD but I hope you can manage to see the Blu-ray one day. ;)
waxman wrote:I received the blu ray disks of Silent Trigger and the Defender last week. I tried a Sony and a Toshiba region A players and both of the players did not play either of the disks. None of the buttons work during the region mismatch screen. I believe the trick one of the Blu-ray.com members said works only for a certain bland of players? I did some further research online and found that Samsung players might work this way. I will have to try some other brand players and see whether any of those work.

Sorry to hear that, I sent your feedback and asked the guy who told me if he could help...

Here you go! I hope this reply from 'KowalskiVideo' helps:
Hi Jerry,

i guess i can help! I own two different Toshiba players myself, both work! Sony PS3 works, i can check a samsung modell, too.

The member needs to access the "title" function. There is probably no dedicated button on his remote, so he has to enter via on-screen-controls (something like a "function" button probably?).

On the toshiba the button is called "OSC". I press it, an on-screen menu appears. I can change chapters, audio, angle, titel and so the on. On the region lock screen screen i can't change anything except "titel". So i choose "TT" (title) and select "Title 4" -> movie starts playing! Then i can enter the pop-up or top-menu and navigate the disc!

On the PS3 you have to press the green triangle bButton on the controller to see the on-screen-menu and simply select "title", enter "4" and the movie will play!

If he could specify the player modell he is using, i would take at look at the manual and will likely be able to tell him what he needs to do excatly, to play the disc.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
KV
Jox
Site Admin

Postby waxman on 08 Jan 2015, 18:14

I tried KowalskiVideo's instruction on a Sony region A player and I was able to watch the Silent Trigger BD! So I can confirm that those who want to watch Subkultur's Silent Trigger BD in North America can actually watch it. Unfortunately the same trick did not work on the Defender BD and I still couldn't watch that movie. I will eventually have to get a region free player for the Defender. At least I got to watch ST on BD and the video quality was awesome as expected.
waxman

Postby Jox on 08 Jan 2015, 18:17

Awesome, thanks for reporting to us! 8)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 23 Jan 2015, 09:43

Was a loooong wait but I finally got this set. Well worth it. Never thought I'd see this film look as good as it does in this package. Stunning.

Wasn't sure I'd be able to watch the blu disc but with a little fiddling with the remote I was able to get it to work perfectly on my PS3.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 23 Jan 2015, 11:08

Glad to hear! 8)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby punisher55 on 06 Feb 2015, 21:08

Somebody can share this promo the big size and high quality?

punisher55

Postby Jox on 07 Feb 2015, 01:23

Again since it's on Dolph's social media, please use the direct link from it:

(and otherwise there's an "upload attachment" button below so you can upload -non high-res or it takes too much speace- images to the forum)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 18 Feb 2015, 21:03

Netherlands VHS artwork

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 06 Mar 2015, 17:15

Blu-ray combo review:
http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/cont ... bo-Pack%29
Video/Audio/Extras:

Silent Trigger makes its Blu-ray debut from Subkulture in a strong AVC encoded 1080p high definition widescreen transfer. There’s some minor speckling here and there but no serious print damage, and while some shots look a bit grainier than others that’s never really a problem. There’s zero evidence of any digital filtering, so common problems like edge enhancement and noise reduction never factor into the equation. Detail is considerably improved over the previous Sony DVD release and colors are more natural looking and better defined. Add to that nice shadow detail and very solid black levels and this transfer comes out looking very good.

DTS-HD Master Audio options are provided in English and German in both 2.0 and 5.1 flavors with subtitles provided in German and in English (the film was shot in English). Clarity on the English 5.1 track is rock solid, with nicely balanced levels and strong bass - your subwoofer will really feel it when that helicopter shows up in the opening sequence and pretty much anytime a gun goes off. Dialogue stays clean, clear and very easy to understand and the film’s genuinely evocative soundtrack is spread around nicely. No problems with any hiss or any distortion.

The main extra on the disc is a twenty-minute interview, in English with optional German subtitles, with writer Sergio Altieri. He speaks about shooting the film in Montreal, the performances from the cast and some of the original ideas he had for the story that changed and/or evolved along the way.

Aside from that we get two trailers for the feature, a still gallery, a Dolph Lundgren filmography (with some nice bonus trailers scattered throughout), menus and chapter selection. As this is a combo pack release you also get a DVD version of the movie with the same extras. Both discs are put inside a slick digipack package alongside a booklet of liner notes (in German only). Menus and chapter selection are also included. Note that if you have a Blu-ray Drive on your PC you can put the disc in and access the liner notes via an English language PDF where you’ll find an insanely detailed essay by Jérémie Damoiseau that covers pretty much every aspect of the history of this movie.

The Final Word:

Silent Trigger is a sorely underrated film in the filmographies of both its director and its leading man. It’s tight and suspenseful, well made and it features not only some impressive action set pieces but some top notch performances too. Though the film hasn’t been given anything more than a barebones DVD release domestically, this Blu-ray release from Germany’s Subkultur is definitely worth importing if you’re a fan of the film. You get some fun extras and a really nice HD upgrade as well.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 07 Mar 2015, 19:06

Das Booklet ist eines der Besten, die ich bislang gelesen habe.

The booklet is one of the best I have read so far.

http://dirtypictures.phpbb8.de/post196292.html#p196292

Die Geschichte hat schon einen Rahmen und der wird auch klar herausgestellt. Kannst ja bei Gelegenheit mal einen Blick ins Booklet werfen (wo quasi ein Making-of in Schriftform vorzufinden ist)

History has been a frame and is also made clear. Can you even on occasion take a look into the booklet (where almost a making-of is reflective of this writing)

http://dirtypictures.phpbb8.de/post197701.html#p197701
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies