THE MINION (Jean-Marc Piché, 1998)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE MINION (Jean-Marc Piché, 1998)

Postby lt.brannigan on 22 Dec 2018, 07:43

I went ahead and pre-ordered. Though based on previous purchases it will drop down to around $13USD a few weeks after release.
lt.brannigan

Postby Jox on 22 Dec 2018, 17:46

Yes, the price will drop even before the release.

The BR is at $17.97 (and $11.97 on DVD) on Kino Lorber's website (and they ship internationally)
https://www.klstudioclassics.com/product/view/id/5943
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 22 Dec 2018, 18:51

Is it region free or not ? (I have trouble finding the information)
bomaz

Postby Jox on 22 Dec 2018, 19:15

Their releases are usually region A-locked but if the DVD is region 1 a region B player will be able to read it.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby lt.brannigan on 23 Dec 2018, 02:34

bomaz wrote:Is it region free or not ? (I have trouble finding the information)

As Jox said, KINO's releases are usually region locked.
lt.brannigan

Postby ramboraph4life on 24 Jan 2019, 00:57

Seeing this again for my reviews and...while i can't say I HATE it, it's definitely a missed opportunity. It's funny that Dolph would later on be in another 'demon which possesses one person, then another' in Don't Kill It.

Perhaps a combination of these two (a little bit more of the energy and the gore of Don't Kill It mixed with the seriousness, budget, and attempt at atmosphere of The Minion would have been the best).

The musical score seems very out of place in The Minion. The guitars (and other instruments used) just don't work for it.

While I was watching The Minion, I was reminded of another movie which did the 'evil going from one soul to another' much better (in my opinion). I wish The Minion had the direction and style of a movie like this (with Lou Diamond Phillips)...then it would've been a nice gem.

And I wish the musical score was more akin to its' horror roots, like this one:

ramboraph4life

Postby Jox on 05 Feb 2019, 16:07

Jox wrote:Yes, the price will drop even before the release.

The BR is at $17.97 (and $11.97 on DVD) on Kino Lorber's website (and they ship internationally)
https://www.klstudioclassics.com/product/view/id/5943

As I thought the Amazon price dropped to $19.99 (instead of $29.99 when it first appeared).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby lt.brannigan on 06 Feb 2019, 02:06

And i have it locked in for that price and any further drops as well.
lt.brannigan

Postby Jox on 24 Feb 2019, 07:02

Review up soon at marcfusion.com

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 27 Feb 2019, 10:43

Blu-ray review:
https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/73678/minion-the/

The Video:

Kino presents The Minion on Blu-ray in an AVC encoded 1080p high definition transfer taken from a ‘new 2k master' and for the most part it looks really nice. There are some spots where it's a bit soft looking, likely due to how it was shot, but overall the image is clean and shows nice detail. Skin tones look fine, black levels are good and the transfer is free of noticeable compression artifacts, edge enhancement and noise reduction issues.

The Audio:

The English language DTS-HD 2.0 Stereo track on this disc is pretty solid. Levels are well-balanced throughout and the track is clean, there are no problems with any hiss or distortion to note. Dialogue stays easy to follow throughout and the effects are appropriately punchy when they need to be. There are no alternate language or subtitle options provided here.

The Extras:

Aside from trailers for a few other Kino Lorber Studio Classics action movie releases and a static menu, the disc includes a commentary with director Jean-Marc Piché. Here he speaks about how he came to direct the film, the locations that were used, some of the action set pieces and choreography involved in the shoot, working with Lundgren and the rest of the cast and more.

Overall:

The Minion is flawed to be sure, it's hokey and riddled with clichés, but it's also entertaining enough that, if you're a fan of Lundgren at least, it's worth seeing. Kino's Blu-ray offers a nice presentation and a decent commentary from the director. A solid rental for fans of B-grade action pictures, recommended for Lundgren devotees.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 04 Mar 2019, 21:57

Kino Lorber Blu Ray Review
http://themovieelite.com/movie/the-mini ... ay-review/
Kino Lorber’s new blu ray of The Minion is a welcome release for fans of the star, mainly because it offers the film in widescreen for the very first time. The 2K transfer sparkles and shines, and the director provided a commentary. Also included is the trailer.

Reviewing the director's commentary as well would have been welcomed.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby lt.brannigan on 20 Mar 2019, 04:00

Just received this in the mail, forgot it was coming.
lt.brannigan

Postby Jox on 20 Mar 2019, 22:19

My copy shipped 5 days ago but I'll have to wait for another 10 days probably... Give us your thoughts once you've watched it.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby lt.brannigan on 20 Mar 2019, 22:49

If it's anything like the transfer on Prime Video, it's gonna look really good.
lt.brannigan

Postby Jox on 21 Mar 2019, 13:46

Given the 4/3 VHS and DVD releases we had had until now it won't be hard to outdo, and this is probably as good as we'll ever be able to see this title. (I wish I could have been it on the big screen when it was shown at the 1998 Cannes film market like I did three years later with HIDDEN AGENDA).

Here is the Blu-ray.com review with screenshots:
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Mini ... 58/#Review

Video Quality 3.5 of 5

Billed as a "New 2K master," "The Minion" arrives with an AVC encoded image (1.85:1 aspect ratio) presentation. Clarity is satisfactory throughout the viewing experience, with cinematographic limits reached (the production has some trouble with focus issues). Cityscapes are dimensional and interiors provide detail on set decoration. Costuming is adequate, mixing glossier period wear with heavier religious outfits. Hues comes through acceptably, securing mood lighting that ranges from police blues to a more yellow-ish push for the nuclear waste site. Clothing is varied, along with light sources. Delineation is suitable, grain is a tad blocky at times. Source is in fine shape, without pronounced damage.

Audio Quality 3.0 of 5

"The Minion" wasn't made with cinematic refinement in mind, leaving the 2.0 DTS-HD MA sound mix kneecapped from the start, but the listening experience is underwhelming here. While stillness permits some clarity to dialogue exchanges, the track often deals with action, and such activity encourages a level of competition as elements battle for sonic control. Scoring is dialed up too high, frequently overwhelming performances, which also have a tendency to disappear when the actors speak in hushed tones. Lines are lost here and there. Sound effects lack punch, keeping gunfire and glass smashing muted, unable to provide much of a jolt. Atmospherics are clouded too, sounding more like white noise instead of defined environments.

Special Features and Extras 2.5 of 5

Commentary features director Jean-Marc Piche.
And a Trailer (2:03, SD) is included.
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies