DIAMOND DOGS (Shimon Dotan & Dolph Lundgren, 2007)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Geoff on 08 Sep 2008, 10:21

The uk cover tho is awful!!!
- Lets be honest. This is just a case to you, to me its more. Much more! and if you try and take this disk I'm going to hit you very, very hard!
Geoff
Regular

Postby Nathan on 08 Sep 2008, 13:15

I think so too, the American one doesn't look so much like Dolph but the UK one is far too cluttered and very photoshopped. Plus I love my US edition, it's got a great slipcase too.
Nathan
Regular

Postby Geoff on 08 Sep 2008, 17:31

Not seen that one, got my German one onw a fair while ago now.
- Lets be honest. This is just a case to you, to me its more. Much more! and if you try and take this disk I'm going to hit you very, very hard!
Geoff
Regular

Postby Jox on 18 Dec 2008, 22:57

I find that quite hilarious: the 3mins behind the scenes featurette (aka EPK-Electronic Press Kit in professional lingo) was rated "12" by the British BBFC board!
http://bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.ns ... enDocument
Jox
Site Admin

Postby The_Canadian on 19 Dec 2008, 08:05

BTW, this is unusual but worth mentioning, the American and Canadian release of Diamond Dogs are from two completely different companies, about three months apart!

Good news is we don't get that shitty computer-generated cover!
"Loosly translated... out of the frying pan and boned up the ass with a red hot poker."
-Showdown In Little Tokyo
The_Canadian
Regular

Re: DIAMOND DOGS

Postby Jack Caine on 27 Jan 2009, 04:03

I understand that this movie is apparently REALLY bad, but how good is the action? Does Dolph dispatch alot of henchmen? Good novelty death by any chance?

Also, is this the horrible UK cover? If so, I truly agree with the criticisms wholeheartedly.
"I come in peace!"
"But you go in pieces, a**hole!"
Jack Caine

Postby Nathan on 27 Jan 2009, 19:39

Okay well. It's not as bad as people make out IMO. It's a good 90 minutes but don't expect anything like Missionary Man. There is an explosion, a few cool kicks from Dolph, it's quite brutal, there is a documentary style to it but in my opinion it wasn't annoying, it is very cheap, there are some funny moments but overall it's an enjoyable watch I think. Clearly very very cheap but the locations are nice and you could do a lot worse. It's better than Retrograde etc. :) Hope that helped. Just don't expect too much and try to enjoy. I can't remember about the novelty deaths but I don't think so.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby leigh1975 on 27 Jan 2009, 19:46

It's not THAT bad, to be honest with you. It sits in Dolph's middle period (between Silent Trigger and Direct Action; It's not horrible, just a little flat and clumsy in editing. Action is quite solid, and if I had to summarise, I wold put it as better than output like Agent Red, Detention, Last Patrol and Stormcatcher, but not quite as good as stuff like Sweepers, Bridge of Dragons, Direct Action and Hidden Agenda. I say give it a shot, I'd call it a frustrating missed opportunity, but one that still entertains.
leigh1975

Postby Nathan on 27 Jan 2009, 22:25

You couldn't have summed it up better than with the last sentence.
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jack Caine on 28 Jan 2009, 01:20

Thanks for the reccommendation, fellas! My doubts have been reduced--I'll give this puppy a rent soon. As long as the action is very hardcore and satisfying, I'm game. However, are the gunshots tough sounding or kinda cheap and weak like the Desert Eagle in Showdown in Little Tokyo?
"I come in peace!"
Jack Caine

Postby Jox on 28 Jan 2009, 01:35

Jack Caine wrote:However, are the gunshots tough sounding or kinda cheap and weak like the Desert Eagle in Showdown in Little Tokyo?

I'm not sure so I cannot say plus everybody ears things differently and with various degrees of sensibility. Tough sounding? A gun is a gun isn't it?
I guess your question comes to "is the production sound used or has a proper sound mix been done with design and foley?"
Jox
Site Admin

Postby leigh1975 on 28 Jan 2009, 02:02

It's OK, a little generic, but basically a solid FX mix on the gunplay.

Sort of on topic, I think the 48 Hrs films and Red Heat have the best gun FX EVER!!!!
leigh1975

Postby Jack Caine on 28 Jan 2009, 06:11

By cheap gun sounds I mean the *tick*-type ones like the house siege in SilT. For some reason those bug me--I prefer ones like how Dolph's beretta sounded in The Mechanik; hard-sounding.

Wait actually nevermind. I just watched that house shootout from SilT and I actually like the gun sounds. For some reason I remember them being more like little click-type sounds. Forget the gunshot comment.
"I come in peace!"
Jack Caine

Postby Nathan on 28 Jan 2009, 17:10

I know the gun sound you are talking about. First time I saw that scene in SILT, I thought wtf...but it's actually pretty cool. Totally chaotic movie, classic cheesy fun though. Let us know what you think of DD. :D
Nathan
Regular

Postby Warchild on 29 Jan 2009, 05:15

I saw Diamond Dogs DVD at the store the other day, it was too expensive i'm going to wait a while till the price drops, the DVD cover though looked amazing.
Warchild
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies