THE SHOOTER / HIDDEN ASSASSIN (Ted Kotcheff, 1995)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

THE SHOOTER / HIDDEN ASSASSIN (Ted Kotcheff, 1995)

Postby Travis on 24 May 2006, 08:30

Travis
Regular

Postby Terminator on 04 Jun 2006, 19:09

Cool!
I've never seen any pictures during his training that time. Where did you find the link?
In hope for someone who could replace the real Dolph one day if he's (hopefully not as soon) out of business...
Terminator
Regular

Postby Angelique on 15 Jun 2006, 20:01

cool pictures, now you see how he trained!!
I'm All Ears...
Angelique

THE SHOOTER / HIDDEN ASSASSIN

Postby Graham on 07 Mar 2007, 22:22

I just finished watching this for the first time tonight - good film!

I went back to see what the review on this site had to say and was surprised to read a decidedly lukewarm assessment. Okay, I agree that there wasn't a great deal of development or back story for Dolph's character but "the cinematography is rather bleak in this movie (and it's not just because it takes place is eastern Europe)"??? By contrast, I'd have thought the cinematography was one of the real high points of the film - I've never been to Prague but it looks gorgeous!

Also nice to see a female lead who wasn't just another disposable slarlet, rather a bit more of a "thinking man's pin up" type.
Graham

Re: THE SHOOTER / HIDDEN ASSASSIN

Postby Lennert on 09 Jul 2009, 11:41

It seems this movie isn't that well known. I hear nobody bashing it, but I also never hear anyone claiming it's a good movie.

To me this is one of his best movies he's ever done. An intelligent script, an awesome acting job by the entire cast, wonderfull locations (I really like Prague), realistic action and some funny scenes (I really like the part where he pretends to be a wine connaisseur).

What do you guys think of this movie? It doesn't have that much action, but together with Men Of War I'd say this is one of the best films he's ever done. I remember trying to make my parents appreciate JCVD and Dolph Lundgren by showing them Nowhere To Run (my mother loved it immediately) and very soon I will drop off The Shooter, since I'm pretty sure this movie is realistic enough to be appreciated by non-action lovers.
Lennert

Postby Moltisanti on 10 Jul 2009, 07:27

Been a long time since I saw this one. It's not that I found it bad, mainly just underwhelming. Dolph didn't seem to have the chemistry with his leading lady here like he did in stuff like SILENT TRIGGER or ARMY OF ONE.

John Ashton is an actor I enjoy, especially in MIDNIGHT RUN. Wish he had been featured more in this film.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 10 Jul 2009, 09:50

The project had lots of promises, especially as a more "serious" DL film but the whole thing kinda fell flat. And I'm not sure the script was as good as they thought it was. In the end it wasn't enough of an action flick or deep and multi-layered enough to be a really good thriller which is why for a mainstream audience it's kinda bad (remember it had the worst reviews for its theatrical release). Ted Kotcheff didn't seem much inspired either. It was good attempt from Dolph though but it's one of those projects which should have turned out way better.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 19 Jul 2009, 23:54

Jox wrote:It was good attempt from Dolph though but it's one of those projects which should have turned out way better.

Gosh isn't it frustrating to read this about just too many of his movies? A lot of them seemed to have a good idea behind them and then just something (or everything) went wrong. Mostly too narrow budgets, cut-backs, technical problems, baaaaad directors... *sigh*

I remember that I found The Shooter boring and that I hated Dolph's hairstyle (yeah, I know I'm obsessed).
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 20 Jul 2009, 12:39

Mosquito wrote:Gosh isn't it frustrating to read this about just too many of his movies? A lot of them seemed to have a good idea behind them and then just something (or everything) went wrong. Mostly too narrow budgets, cut-backs, technical problems, baaaaad directors... *sigh*

I remember that I found The Shooter boring and that I hated Dolph's hairstyle (yeah, I know I'm obsessed).

Yeah but 1/ that's movie business (and any other actually) for you, and 2/ look where Dolph is now and how he incredibly survived all that (way better than others) when almost everything and everybody was pointing him as the next has-been loser. It doesn't mean all this isn't gonna happen again (because even he can never tell and he has to face the same obstacles every day) but things have been looking better overall these past 5 years and he's doing his very best to move forward (even though it's still an every day struggle and learning process).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby algren on 13 Aug 2009, 11:30

For me, its the best film he has made. I like the setting of the movie, the cold and still atmosphere of post communist country. Dolph is great in this film too. I love it when he is in the wine cellar and he has his big kick moment, which he seems to have in most films :wink:
algren

Postby Jack Caine on 13 Aug 2009, 17:56

Is the dvd still in circulation or would I have to order it online? I just have an urge to see this and Peacekeeper lately and I find Dolph's hair relatively funny.
"I come in peace!"
"But you go in pieces, a**hole!"
Jack Caine

Postby Mosquito on 14 Aug 2009, 10:24

Jack Caine wrote:I find Dolph's hair relatively funny.

HAH! I'm not alone. :mrgreen:
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 14 Aug 2009, 12:57

Mosquito wrote:
Jack Caine wrote:I find Dolph's hair relatively funny.

HAH! I'm not alone. :mrgreen:

That was the style back then. I remember it all too well.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jack Caine on 14 Aug 2009, 16:38

I suppose we should just be thankful that he didn't try to change his hairstyle to look like Kurt Cobain.
"I come in peace!"
"But you go in pieces, a**hole!"
Jack Caine

Re: THE SHOOTER / Hidden Assassin (1995)

Postby Jox on 30 Mar 2010, 18:28

You can listen to preview and download tracks of the very rare soundtrack score of THE SHOOTER (composed by Stefano Mainetti who also scored SILENT TRIGGER)!
Btw it includes cues from the uncut version.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-shooter-attentato-a-praga/id326851744?ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Jox
Site Admin

Next

Return to Dolph's Movies