THE SHOOTER / HIDDEN ASSASSIN (Ted Kotcheff, 1995)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE SHOOTER / Hidden Assassin (1995)

Postby Rukia212002 on 05 Apr 2010, 21:32

I love The Shooter this is one of favorite Dolph films and of course Dolph looks hot :wink: in this film too. Dolph is really excellent in this film he really shows his impressive acting range and there are also some shocks and twists but I've also got to say that Dolph looked really handsome as Michael Dane and he had great chemistry with Marushka Detmer. :P I thought that this film was really shocking and so sad and I felt really upset by the ending of this film. But I also loved the beautiful music score by Stefano Mainetti who also composed the Silent Trigger score. In my opinion The Shooter is a film worth checking out for seeing Dolph at his badass best or if you enjoy him kicking ass and being covered in blood then this is the film for you.
Rukia212002

Postby Tom on 05 Apr 2010, 23:17

Rukia212002 wrote:I love The Shooter this is one of favorite Dolph films and of course Dolph looks hot :wink: in this film too. Dolph is really excellent in this film he really shows his impressive acting range and there are also some shocks and twists but I've also got to say that Dolph looked really handsome as Michael Dane and he had great chemistry with Marushka Detmer. :P I thought that this film was really shocking and so sad and I felt really upset by the ending of this film. But I also loved the beautiful music score by Stefano Mainetti who also composed the Silent Trigger score. In my opinion The Shooter is a film worth checking out for seeing Dolph at his badass best or if you enjoy him kicking ass and being covered in blood then this is the film for you.

Agree, I've always liked The Shooter. It's one of Dolphs underrated flicks. Same director as First Blood. Incidentally which version have you watched? If you watched the Region 1 DVD, you've seen the cut version. The longer version, in some European countrys has more character scenes in the film and is even better.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 05 Apr 2010, 23:44

Yeah, 15 minutes have been edited down (by Miramax I believe, notorious to re-edit films they bought for distribution) in the US (and other territories like France) but the UK, Spain etc had what must be the "director's cut" (104 mins) and makes it a far better film.

I think Dolph believed hard in this project as a step up in the right direction as far as better material to work with acting-wise and more depth. I myself was really anticipating THE SHOOTER after MEN OF WAR and JOHNNY MNEMONIC, it had a lot going for it but it was a little disappointing I think partly because the script wasn't very tight (too many clichés and déjà-vu twists). This is also a movie that would have worked much better had it been made a few years earlier.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Rukia212002 on 08 Apr 2010, 20:13

Hi Tom thanks for your reply to my previous post. I love The Shooter as well and I think this is Dolph's most under-appreciated movies he's ever made it's not really a favorite among fans I don't understand that but this is the film where Dolph shows he can really act so those fans should give this film a chance but I understand that everyone has there favorite Dolph film and this may not be theres. The Shooter version I have is the one I recorded from Channel 5 which is now called Five I remember Dolph was very popular on Channel 5 back in 1997 -1999 yeah i think I definitely have the uncut UK version and yeah it definitely shows Dolph's character more so I think the region one version is definitely cut. And before the film opened on Channel 5 it was given a adult rating so I have the uncut version as I've seen myself that there is lots of graphic scenes of blood and anyway I love seeing Dolph covered in blood and I love his hair in the film he looks gorgeous.Yeah I noticed that the director of First Blood Ted Kotcheff did The Shooter great film and prague is a beautiful country and I really loved the setting for this film and I also loved John Ashton who provided the comic relief throughout this film.

Hi there Jox I know that not everyone will like The Shooter but that's one of my favorite films and I agree that the edited version didn't give all the best scenes and that was not fair on the US/French territories they should release it uncut again. The edited version takes away a relly good movie and the watchable Dolph scenes.
Rukia212002

Postby Tom on 08 Apr 2010, 22:38

If there was a scene early on with Dolph visiting a grave with the guy from Beverly Hills Cop, then that was the uncut version Channel 5 showed. I'm pretty sure they would have done too. I used to have Shooter on VHS, but now only on the US DVD (also with lame Hidden Assassin title instead).
Tom
Regular

Postby Sec on 10 May 2010, 14:43

Is there an uncut and Widescreen release of this? I see the US version is shorter at 90 minutes, but the German edition is 100 minutes in Widescreen, but German audio only!

I found this Korean edition but it appears to be the shorter US print (http://tinyurl.com/2748ekp)

The French edition is 100 minutes and has English audio, but is NOT widescreen.

Jox, do you have the various editions of this movie?
www.explosiveaction.com : action movie reviews of the direct-to-video variety
Sec

Postby Jox on 11 May 2010, 02:34

- The French edition is the cut version and dubbed but in original ratio.
- The US edition is indeed widescreen but in the shorter (Miramax) cut.
- The Brazilian and Dutch editions are in the uncut (original) cut but full screen.
I do own them.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 15 Jul 2010, 11:05

US home video trailer
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Sec on 15 Jul 2010, 11:22

Jox wrote:US home video trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZXY26EQ0nY

Yes I was quite surprised it wasn't there already so I had to upload my own! I found it on IMDB as a trailer for the movie; there are sneaky ways to download those trailers ;)
www.explosiveaction.com : action movie reviews of the direct-to-video variety
Sec

Postby Jox on 24 Aug 2010, 18:57

Egyptian theatrical poster

Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 11 Dec 2010, 18:22

Perhaps this is a moot point, but why does this film have this grainy feel to it in terms of picture quality?? At first I thought it was because the film is the product of a European production, but then again, many of Dolph's films have been shot in Europe and don't have the same quality... Especially with Kotcheff, a successful American director behind the wheel, you'd think the quality would be a little more... crisp and clear. Unfortunately, it gives the vibe of watching an old British Sherlock Holmes episode on PBS...

The movie's still a cool one though and stands as one of Dolph's better attempts in acting...
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 11 Dec 2010, 19:04

I don't remember so (I saw it in the theater back in '96) and it's hard to tell from this YT clip. I think the cinematography was quite nice and made to combine the post-cold war thriller mood (like a 70s thriller) and the gritty Prague weather of October/November '94. Actually Darling visited Dolph on the set back then, how was the weather like in Prague?
Jox
Site Admin

Postby leigh1975 on 29 Dec 2010, 07:28

Aside from Johnny Mnemonic, I think this was the only UK theatrical release Dolph had between Universal Soldier and The Expendables. I did manage to catch it on it's short run, but it's strange that of all the films to release, this was the one. I think Men Of War or Silent Trigger would have been stronger bets. Even Showdown In Little Tokyo was DTV here :?
leigh1975

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies