DETENTION (Sidney J. Furie, 2003)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby bomaz on 27 Jan 2004, 19:32

just a question : the french dubbed version is on the Region 2 or the region 1 dvd ???
thanks !!
User avatar
bomaz
Member
 
Posts: 1373
Joined: 18 Jan 2004, 01:00
Location: Toulouse , FRANCE

Re: "Detention" US grossing: first results

Postby Krom on 28 Jan 2004, 00:21

Jox wrote:"Detention" grossed $0.76 million dollars in its first five days of video rentals in the US according to IMDB (it's at 31st place of the weekly charts).[/i]


No good, Van Dammes's lattest B movie has get some millions.
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular
 
Posts: 392
Joined: 27 Jan 2004, 20:21
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Postby Dawn on 28 Jan 2004, 06:35

Yes, but Van Damme's movie has been out for a few weeks now. So really you can't compare that at this point.
Dolph Aficionado
User avatar
Dawn
Site Admin
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 08 Nov 2003, 21:17
Location: Kansas City, MO, USA

Postby Krom on 28 Jan 2004, 12:04

Dawn wrote:Yes, but Van Damme's movie has been out for a few weeks now. So really you can't compare that at this point.



I'm just talking the opening week.
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular
 
Posts: 392
Joined: 27 Jan 2004, 20:21
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Postby Dawn on 29 Jan 2004, 00:26

I still don't think it is fair to compare, when there are less copies in US video stores of Dolph movies. I never see Dolph's films here at Blockbuster, only Hollywood Video. These two are the biggest video chains in the US. Hollywood only has 1 copy of Detention while they have 3 copies of Van Damme's latest. If they had more copies of Detention available at rental places, I do believe it would do just as well as Van Damme's films. I still haven't seen Detention because it is always rented out at Hollywood. So I think more copies would make his movies just as of sellers.
Dolph Aficionado
User avatar
Dawn
Site Admin
 
Posts: 507
Joined: 08 Nov 2003, 21:17
Location: Kansas City, MO, USA

Postby Krom on 29 Jan 2004, 00:56

Dawn wrote:I still don't think it is fair to compare, when there are less copies in US video stores of Dolph movies. I never see Dolph's films here at Blockbuster, only Hollywood Video. These two are the biggest video chains in the US. Hollywood only has 1 copy of Detention while they have 3 copies of Van Damme's latest. If they had more copies of Detention available at rental places, I do believe it would do just as well as Van Damme's films. I still haven't seen Detention because it is always rented out at Hollywood. So I think more copies would make his movies just as of sellers.


I AGREE. Dolph's movies are really tough to find anywhere.The production company sux big time with the promotion.
But i don't understand..companies like Artisan, who made the best DVD ever - T2: Ultimate Edition, did not pay any atention on Joshua Tree.
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular
 
Posts: 392
Joined: 27 Jan 2004, 20:21
Location: Bucharest, Romania

.......

Postby Santee on 29 Jan 2004, 19:37

thats a pretty decent figure for such a movie.............

I disagree Dawn, Van Damme's latest film "In Hell" had at least 40 copies to rent at a local Blockbuster, it is doing extremely well, simply because Jean-Claude Van Damme is a big star and will be returning to the big screens in the US very soon..................and disagreeing with Krom, no way is "In Hell" a "B movie" it is a very good looking film. something like "Detention" just cant compete......
Santee
Member
 
Posts: 19
Joined: 03 Jan 2004, 21:46
Location: California

Postby Mosquito on 29 Jan 2004, 21:37

I don't want to start Van Damme bashing here but do you really think that he'll return to the big screen? What about his lifestyle? Last movie I saw him in he looked like a wreck and all I heard during the last years was about drunken driving and drugs. Action stars need good shape and need to care for their bodies.
User avatar
Mosquito
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2158
Joined: 08 Nov 2003, 18:23

Re: .......

Postby Krom on 29 Jan 2004, 21:58

Santee wrote:thats a pretty decent figure for such a movie.............

I disagree Dawn, Van Damme's latest film "In Hell" had at least 40 copies to rent at a local Blockbuster, it is doing extremely well, simply because Jean-Claude Van Damme is a big star and will be returning to the big screens in the US very soon..................and disagreeing with Krom, no way is "In Hell" a "B movie" it is a very good looking film. something like "Detention" just cant compete......



Ssantee you should go to www.vandammefan.com and .net and you'll see that i made the 1st review of In Hell worlwide! Why? Because i've seen In Hell last year in june, 5 month early that he came out on DVD.
Read my review and see that i mad2 more than a positive review, but In Hell it's still a B movie because because of the production.

In Hell worldwide premiere has been a television premiere on June 2003 on PRO TV (Media Pro Pictures trust).
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular
 
Posts: 392
Joined: 27 Jan 2004, 20:21
Location: Bucharest, Romania

..........

Postby Santee on 30 Jan 2004, 06:51

Mosquito:


Van Damme hasnt looked out of shape in any of his movies (his latest, incredibly fit).......any drug or drinking problems were brief and years ago, In Hell has been doing great in the US, he will be appearing on the hit prime-time american show "Las Vegas' in a few days now and his next film, "Wake of Death" may be getting a theatrical release in the USA...........I bet he will be back notime soon.

yeah Krom, I understand, but In Hell looks alike n A-movie, especially with Ringo Lam as director, I believe it is.
Santee
Member
 
Posts: 19
Joined: 03 Jan 2004, 21:46
Location: California

Postby Mosquito on 30 Jan 2004, 12:49

Santee, I've looked the movie up: It was Knock Off. I saw parts of it on TV when I was incredibly bored. When I saw Van Damme I was shocked because I thought he looked like a zombie. I don't believe that they screwed up his make-up, it must have been his face. I haven't seen any of his newer movies.
User avatar
Mosquito
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2158
Joined: 08 Nov 2003, 18:23

Postby Travis on 30 Jan 2004, 21:46

There is no excuse for this movie
User avatar
Travis
Regular
 
Posts: 480
Joined: 13 Jan 2004, 22:22

Postby hansson55 on 31 Jan 2004, 13:00

Is there any similar rental box office data about Hidden Agenda?
¤¤¤ It’s from Sweden like me ¤¤¤
User avatar
hansson55
Regular
 
Posts: 186
Joined: 04 Jan 2004, 04:17
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Postby Krom on 31 Jan 2004, 20:53

hansson55 wrote:Is there any similar rental box office data about Hidden Agenda?


Good question.
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular
 
Posts: 392
Joined: 27 Jan 2004, 20:21
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Postby Tom on 07 Feb 2004, 12:24

I would actually have to agree that In Hell was a better movie, simply because the direction was far more polished from Ringo Lam. Van Dammes best bet to return to the cinema is working with a good director like Lam as much as possible. The script for Detention and In Hell were just re-hased rubbish, with more cliches than a boy bands latest single.

I liked In Hell, for the look, some good fights and Van Damme was given a better role than usual allowing him to act. It took itself too seriously though, and the score and effects were horrible.

As for Detention, that was kind of enjoyably bad. You can laugh at the unbelievable amount of cliches from the characters in it, to all the action. Sidney Furie has lost his skill though, a lot of the action in the film was dull, people standing on the spot and firing continuously at Dolph or the kids, with pointless long close ups of squibs going off. Still Detention looked to have a decent budget for Dolphs recent movies and at 10 million it wouldn't have been much less than In Hell.

I can understand why Van Damme makes more money than Dolph in the rental charts. He was more established as a box -office draw in his early days. Bad luck and poor choices meant that Dolph hasn't really led a very successful movie. His last hit at the box-office was Universla Soldier but he was alongside Van Damme. Virtually all Van Dammes movies up until Timecop did well. Van Damme is certianly going to be one of the leaders in the DTV market alongside Seagal, but Dolph isn't too far behined.
User avatar
Tom
Regular
 
Posts: 1349
Joined: 03 Jan 2004, 13:59
Location: Marlow, England

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests