JILL RIPS / Jill The Ripper (Anthony Hickox, 1999)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

JILL RIPS / Jill The Ripper (Anthony Hickox, 1999)

Postby njonesky102 on 03 Jul 2004, 02:32

Does anyone know where I can by a new Jil Rips DVD region 2?
Whenever I look it is either on american format tapes or R1 DVD's. The only region 2 DVD I found was a used copy and didn't look to presentable. I have tried Ebay but the only copies on there were only shipped within the USA or where R1.

I am very annoyed as I would really like to see this film. Anyone who can help me on this matter I would be very very grateful!
Kjones
njonesky102

Postby Mosquito on 03 Jul 2004, 12:16

There is a German R2 DVD but I think it is cut and it doesn't have the original audio so I don't think that is what you are looking for. Can't you patch your DVD player so it accepts R1, too?
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Terminator on 05 Jul 2004, 15:45

^Yeah, should go...
I've got the original Red Scorpion DVD, but it's not the FSK 18 at all...
I've won it with some luck but I could find one scene left out: when Nicolai was "caught" in Russian Prison and when a Cuban Punisher tried to make him talk with his spikey- sticks... I think this was left out...
By the way, maybe a good Trader shop for DVDs can order this DVD for you.
In hope for someone who could replace the real Dolph one day if he's (hopefully not as soon) out of business...
Terminator
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 07 Jul 2004, 13:29

Terminator, try the UK version. You can get it cheap at play.com. I have it and that torture scene is included. In fact it is an uncut version. The guys on gemeinschaftsforum.com say that there is a misterious scene regarding nerve gas missing but that one can only be found on one old exotic VHS version.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby njonesky102 on 15 Jul 2004, 22:11

Thanks Guys for all your suggestions.
Kjones
njonesky102

Postby Terminator on 17 Jul 2004, 19:28

Thanx Mosquito for the great hint! :D
I only saw this torture scene left out (and a lil' else...) when I watched it twice... I hate FSK- cut movies... like "Terminator 1"- NEVER BUY THE FSK 16 MOVIE!!!! It's no longer a real movie if you know what I mean... lol
I'll watch on that site. Good FSK 18 movies are VERY rare and often very expensive...
In hope for someone who could replace the real Dolph one day if he's (hopefully not as soon) out of business...
Terminator
Regular

JILL RIPS

Postby Graham on 12 Mar 2007, 20:11

Jill Rips was the latest in my Dolph movies "viewing for the first time". I was a little surprised to see it is barely mentioned here but has received quite a lot of positive comment - especially regarding Dolph's performance - over on the IMDB.

Certainly not a typical Dolph movie but I agree he did do well. I thougt the film was quite good, if unremarkable apart from the uncommon S & M subject matter. The downside was I was wondering throughout if the twist was going to be that Irene WASN'T the murderer!! :wink:
Last edited by Graham on 12 Mar 2007, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
Graham

Postby Jox on 12 Mar 2007, 21:11

It's definitely one of his most underrated movies but I like it a lot actually. One of the reasons I like it and some don't is because there's almost no action in it. And because it's shot almost like an "art house" movie, with a slow pacing and a gloomy, naturalistic cinematography. I also think director Hickox filmed Dolph really well because most directors don't know how to make him look good on camera because of his size.... And Dolph really deserves respect with his performance here (and by taking a chance to be part of such a project)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Sasha on 10 Apr 2007, 11:15

I agree-this film is very intelligent and interesting detective. Just saw it yesterday. Dolph is unforgetable.

(sorry for mistakes)
Sasha

JUST WATCHED JILL THE RIPPER

Postby Nathan on 06 Jun 2007, 19:28

Just watched Jill the ripper for the first time and the bad rating on IMDB has kinda put me off for the past year or so but I must say it was excellent - very original and different and it didn't have the usual cop chasing killer type of cliches and Dolph's performance was just breathtaking - well done Dolph :lol:
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 06 Jun 2007, 21:25

Agree.
People who didn't like it where either put off by the lack of action (for a Dolph movie) or the S&M weirdness... yet this is one of Dolph's most serious and almost "art-house" movies.

(Don't trust IMDB ratings they're not representative of anything except the tastes of white american males who are 80% of the voters there)...

P.S. the original title is JILL RIPS
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 07 Jun 2007, 17:57

Yeah I noticed it had Jill Rips on the newspaper in the movie but the dvd says Jill the Ripper but also Jill Rips is said in the directors commentary I can't decide which title is best.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby dolphage on 16 Jun 2007, 11:36

Jill Rips is allright. "Jill" might not ecxactly "rip" but the title is still more appropriate than "Jill Sucks" (wich i beleive was the working title of the movie)
It looks great. Has a seventies feel to it both in the storytelling and in the overall look.
However.
In a thriller such as this the dramatic parts are way more important than the action sequences and the actors could have used more/better direction in that department. The brother´s widow/female lead (no spoilers) overacts to a degree that is just comical and the commentary track still talks of how they had to subdue her over-the-top acting and keep her naturalistic (that´s just bad casting then).
Dolph´s "prositutemarching" monologue is a great performance. And not a great performance "for an action flick" but a great performance for any film, dramatic, action or other.
Jill the Ripper (or whatever you wanna call it) is O.K. but if the Dolpherino is going to do some more dramatic parts he needs to work with better suited co-stars and directors.
Peace!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Travis on 04 Aug 2007, 06:08

When I first heard of Jill Rips I thought it sounded awesome and would be his best film ever. I was hugely disappointed. The back of the box doesn't even describe the film right. It says Dolph plays a charcter with a different name and it takes place in a different city than whats in the movie. And the lady on the front of the box isn't even in the film.

Jill Rips is a turkey...like all of Dolphs movies in the past 10 years.
Travis
Regular

Postby Jox on 04 Aug 2007, 12:11

Travis wrote:The back of the box doesn't even describe the film right. It says Dolph plays a character with a different name and it takes place in a different city than whats in the movie. And the lady on the front of the box isn't even in the film.

Jill Rips is a turkey...like all of Dolphs movies in the past 10 years.

What do you care what the box says?! The plot was taken from a previous script version (when Tom Berenger was to star in it), the distributor just didn't care checking about it, but this has nothing to do with the verdict on the film... As for the "lady", again the distributors fault, they just used mock up poster made before the film was shot, OK bad marketing but again not the filmmakers fault...

OK I personally like this movie very much so, although I can reckon it's not perfect and might even be a failure. But to say it is a turkey is a bit too much... First of all even bad this is isn't the kind of film you can call a turkey because it's made as a "serious" film...

Jox
Site Admin

Next

Return to Dolph's Movies