BRIDGE OF DRAGONS (Isaac Florentine, 1999)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: BRIDGE OF DRAGONS (Isaac Florentine, 1999)

Postby alex.sp89 on 28 Feb 2022, 14:35

If I was in DL place I would try to avoid any involvement in NI productions back in 1996. I was wondering did DL was ever offered a contract on 3-4 picture deal from a big company in late 80s early 90s. I know Van Damme was offered a 3 picture deal for 20-25 mill. with Universal after success of Timecop in 1994. He simply refused because Jim Carrey was paid a 20 mill per picture after success of Mask in 1994.
alex.sp89

Postby Jox on 28 Feb 2022, 14:44

If I were president I would bring world peace.

In 1996, Dolph's career was really going down, so who knows if he really had a choice, plus I'm sure they paid really well in those years. It's the old trick of paying big money for a star, and make the film at the minimal cost.. Also, Nu Image was slowly growing and around the same time, other than Dolph they starting to get more respected actors like Kiefer Sutherland, Andie McDowell, Bridget Fonda, John Turturro and many more, for their Millennium label. What an improvement from the likes of David Bradley and Frank Zagarino, huh?
Jox
Site Admin

Postby alex.sp89 on 28 Feb 2022, 15:54

Yea, yea .If I would be a president like Biden I will retire and I will never allow to happen what happened in Ukraine because of the US and his NATO members (under US hand) ambitions to push people head to head. God give wisdom to this 2 slavic counties (friends almost always in history) to make peace...

Thank u for your explanations on how NU Image is doing business, who cares more on returning their investments and some extra profit than on quality of their products. I think The Expendables is the only franchise launched theatrically by NU Image. Menahem and his CANNON were playing roulette more often in the theatres than Avi Lerner ... Avi is afraid to be bankrupt

Jox u as the expert in movies and having some connections when is this era of low budget bad quality movies will be over ? Many people and fans are stating is getting worse and worse and nobody wants to recognize this objective. We understand actors, directors, studios are starving to make money and feed their families but shoot one after one disasters like this is erasing reputation build years of work. It is going to be prestigious soon to be called a trash director or actor.
I am glad that u mentioned David Braldey - rumors said he was so ashamed of his movies distribution (aLl DTV) that he quit the business. Anyway I think he wasn't that bad is some of his movies - Ninja sequels, American Samurai ( almost classic Cruel Bloodsport type).
I heard many times Dolph saying that he doesn't look back and HE NEVER WATCHES HIS OWN MOVIES. Stallone, Seagal, JC were so dedicacated at least in late 80s early 90s in all their movies ( co wrote the scripts, fight choreorg, editing ) and Dolph looked at them more like a paycheck or something ? Or he is cheating when he is saying that ?
alex.sp89

Postby Jox on 28 Feb 2022, 19:51

alex.sp89 wrote:If I was in DL place I would try to avoid any involvement in NI productions back in 1996.

Jox wrote:If I were president I would bring world peace.

alex.sp89 wrote:Yea, yea .If I would be a president like Biden I will retire and I will never allow to happen what happened in Ukraine because of the US and his NATO members (under US hand) ambitions to push people head to head. God give wisdom to this 2 slavic counties (friends almost always in history) to make peace...

I was being sarcastic, not asking about your political opinions :wink:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby alex.sp89 on 01 Mar 2022, 09:54

Sorry to burst your bubble but by this remark about president and world peace even in this context is out of place in this circumstances today. I would find some other similar sarcastic remarks avoiding this words. It looks like u are touching the subject from far away away without giving a proper name and immediately back up. Sorry no offences :roll:
alex.sp89

Postby lhz on 01 Mar 2022, 21:49

Lot of things has been said here in 2 days, a major parts unnecessary and out of context if I may.
Alex you've got the habit of spreading to the four winds in your answers and Jox, I think, was just kindly trying to keep you on track. :mrgreen:

Jox wrote:Here's what Isaac Florentine told:
http://www.dolph-ultimate.com/articles/ ... -2003.html

Thanks for the link to the interview. After reading it, it brings an answer to my previous post about how I was impressed about the particular great shape from Dolph on this vehicle.

I omitted an important point on my previous writings and why I've always highly enjoyed this movie. I think I've got a particular connection with it due to the fact that Isaac Florentine directed several episodes from Mighty Morphin's show which was my favorite show ever as a kid. And he brought many gimmicks from it like the systematic "woosh" sound of air on every movements for instance. Plus the way he shoots and uses explosions and pyrotechnical effects are suprinsingly close too.
lhz

Postby Jox on 02 Mar 2022, 14:05

lhz wrote:Lot of things has been said here in 2 days, a major parts unnecessary and out of context if I may.
Alex you've got the habit of spreading to the four winds in your answers and Jox, I think, was just kindly trying to keep you on track. :mrgreen:

Indeed, that's what my intent.

Let me be clearer to set some boundaries and ground rules:

- Restrain yourself from rambling (on and off topic)

- Restrain yourself from commenting everything

- Be mindful of everyone here, not to take all the space and attention

- Don't overstay your welcome

- It's not up for debate

- I'll allow myself to edit or delete your posts as I see fit when I consider you're going to far off

Now back to topic, please.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 11 May 2022, 14:23

Kung Fu Kingdom revisits BOD with a glowing review
https://kungfukingdom.com/bridge-of-dra ... ie-review/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 10 Aug 2022, 20:51

(BRIDGE OF DRAGONS discussed at 22:05)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 29 Aug 2023, 18:15

The Ultimate Nu Image Countdown
https://www.bulletproofaction.com/2023/ ... countdown/

Will Slater: With his box office star fading, the late Nineties found Dolph Lundgren trying to adjust to the DTV phase of his career. Dissatisfied with Keoni Waxman’s sloppy direction in the previous year’s Nu Image produced, Sweepers, the Big Swede resolved to make sure that he worked with ‘someone who understood action’, on his next film. Step forward, Isaac Florentine.

The Israeli director had just made Cold Harvest for Nu Image and Bridge of Dragons would become the next in a run of four films he would make for the company. As you would expect from a master like Florentine, we get lots of ambitiously staged gunfights and explosions (even if there’s a disappointing lack of hand-to-hand combat).

More impressive is the way the film marries its action with its aesthetic. Set in a fictional country, the story takes inspiration from classic fairy tales and ingeniously blends the medieval world with WWII-chic and 21st century weapons tech. The artful set and costume design gives the film an otherworldly, out-of-time feel. Through in charismatic turns from Dolph, Cary Tagawa as the villain, and you have a genuine B-movie gem.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 05 Sep 2023, 14:43

Forgot to mention that BOD filmed 25 years ago in August...

Jox
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Dolph's Movies