BRIDGE OF DRAGONS (Isaac Florentine, 1999)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: BRIDGE OF DRAGONS (Isaac Florentine, 1999)

Postby lt.brannigan on 15 Jun 2019, 20:18

This movie looks pretty good in HD, caught it on Prime the other day. Makes me wish they would release it on Blu-Ray with a genuine HD print.
lt.brannigan

Postby Jox on 23 Aug 2019, 10:59

Interview with Isaac Florentine about his influences, debuts, shooting action...

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 10 Sep 2019, 20:25

Premiered on HBO 20 years ago in August

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 15 Apr 2020, 12:04

There's a (likely bootleg) Russian VHS cover of BRIDGE OF DRAGONS made up with a DARK ANGEL/ I COME IN PEAVE artwork!

Jox
Site Admin

Postby lt.brannigan on 15 Apr 2020, 12:53

That looks like a totally awesome movie. Kinda want to see it now. That cover in no way reflects the actual movie.
lt.brannigan

Postby Jox on 30 Dec 2020, 18:35

High res version of the initial key art from Nu Image

Jox
Site Admin

Postby lhz on 26 Feb 2022, 23:57

Quick words concerning BRIDGE OF DRAGONS that I finally watched for the very first time in HD.
It has always been a 100%-assumed guilty pleasure and literally an under-the-radar classic for the Swedish from my personal taste.

I know Isaac Florentine style and gimmicks is not the cup of tea for everyone. The movie got a broken-budget but in the other hand is so generous.
Correct me if I am wrong, but was it the beginning of shooting films in easter Europe for Nu Image ? Cause there is a noticeable amateurish touch on this vehicle rather than later ones with the studio. I like the broken feudal-futurist world it takes place, the cast (of course Cary Tagawa), plus I always highly enjoyed how Dolph seemed in a particularly great shape for this shooting. And he's doing karate during fight, which outside of SILT, is not that common.
The helicopter depicted as an omniscient threat always triggered a reminiscence of RED SCORPION to me.

Well you got it, I like this movie and watching it in HD was enjoyable. But as I mentioned for COVER UP, I'd love to see some distributors around the world releasing it in blu ray. Florentine + Dolph could bring a certain audience IMO. Does anyone would know what is the current state of the rights for BRIDGE OF DRAGONS ?
lhz

Postby Jox on 27 Feb 2022, 23:53

lhz wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but was it the beginning of shooting films in easter Europe for Nu Image ? Cause there is a noticeable amateurish touch on this vehicle rather than later ones with the studio.

Yes it was the first or one of the first two movies that Nu Image did in Bulgaria. The Boyana studios and the crew were still kind of running in the old ways of the communist era, and were certainly not used to the workflow of American filmmakers. That caused a few technical problems that ultimately showed on the screen so they had to cut a few scenes including the ending because the film stock had some noticeable issues... (Yet that same year a big French production also filmed there, EST/OUEST, with director Régis Wargnier and Catherine Deneuve)

Does anyone would know what is the current state of the rights for BRIDGE OF DRAGONS ?

I don't know who has them but since it's playing in numerous territories on Prime or other VOD services, they must be taken. In the UK for instance, I remember Lionsgate seemed to have them in recent years, as they had resubmitted it to the BBFC ratings.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby alex.sp89 on 28 Feb 2022, 10:30

Jox u made my day. I always felt that ending was so abrupt and something may happened.. blow fire and Warchild with princess are down like early 80s movie. How did they shot it originally - the full deleted ending (I guess there was a ceremony or something with the princess and Dolph involved) What else was cut from the movie due the negative demage ?
alex.sp89

Postby Jox on 28 Feb 2022, 11:25

I don't think there was an additional "coda" scene per say, but the final shot...

Here's what Isaac Florentine told:
http://www.dolph-ultimate.com/articles/ ... -2003.html

(Taking the opportunity to remind you guys that many questions are answered on the old site if you thoroughly dig through it.)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby alex.sp89 on 28 Feb 2022, 13:48

Thank u Jox. Well Isaac Florentine is not George MIller even if he had attempt to make his Mad Max version movie.. about a post apocalyptic world. He was sill still learning :lol:
alex.sp89

Postby Jox on 28 Feb 2022, 14:12

The script was rewritten by Nu Image right before Lundgren and Florentine arrived on location. What they had signed originally wasn't this post-apocalyptic hybrid, it was clearly set in the future. Once there they did what they could with the available resources.
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies