PENTATHLON (Bruce Malmuth, 1994)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: PENTATHLON (Bruce Malmuth, 1994)

Postby JuV on 20 Nov 2023, 23:58

Scorpio wrote:
JuV wrote:I've always watched the German Blu-ray release and the quality is sufficient enough for a 1080i release. I know the UK and German transfers are identical, but it looks like the UK release has become a bit more pricey. The German release however can be found (used) for about €3 on Amazon.

There are two different Blu-rays in the UK:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Pentathl ... ray/45427/

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Pentathl ... ay/134228/

The Blu-ray in the second link is from Universal.
Maybe Universal's Blu-ray is the best Blu-ray of all?

I didn't know there were 2! I know the German release I have and the Anchor Bay release are identical at least. No idea about the Universal release, but it appears to be OOP now. And like Jox said, most likely just a repack (according to Blu-ray.com the Universal release is also just 1080i).

Regardless, none of these Blu-ray releases are exactly fan-pleasing. But probably the best release we'll have for a good while. I could see DigiDreams pick this up one day, but their releases arguably aren't great either. I doubt there's a lot of demand for a proper remaster of this.
JuV

Postby Jox on 21 Nov 2023, 00:20

JuV wrote:Regardless, none of these Blu-ray releases are exactly fan-pleasing. But probably the best release we'll have for a good while.

It beats a 4/3 VHS or one of the very few full screen DVD that came out in early 2000s :lol:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby JuV on 21 Nov 2023, 02:52

Jox wrote:
JuV wrote:Regardless, none of these Blu-ray releases are exactly fan-pleasing. But probably the best release we'll have for a good while.

It beats a 4/3 VHS or one of the very few full screen DVD that came out in early 2000s :lol:

Oh, for sure! The old DVD I had was quite poor.

I know there is a post for Dolph films available in HD, but is there one for films that aren't (at least not on a physical format)?

I've been upgrading a few titles recently to get rid of some 4:3 DVDs, and noticed a chunk of the 90s and 2000s films have never been released on Blu-ray.
JuV

Postby Jox on 21 Nov 2023, 10:11

JuV wrote:I know there is a post for Dolph films available in HD, but is there one for films that aren't (at least not on a physical format)?

I've been upgrading a few titles recently to get rid of some 4:3 DVDs, and noticed a chunk of the 90s and 2000s films have never been released on Blu-ray.

I didn't think of it!

I wouldn't mind having one, do you think it'd be particularly useful, what would we say apart from quoting the missing titles?

The list is fairly short (from the top of my head):
COVER-UP
BRIDGE OF DRAGONS (the upscaled German disc doesn't count)
STORM CATCHER
JILL RIPS
AGENT RED
RETROGRADE (the upscaled German disc doesn't count)
MISSIONARY MAN
PUPS ALONE
SEAL TEAM
Jox
Site Admin

Postby JuV on 21 Nov 2023, 16:17

Jox wrote:I wouldn't mind having one, do you think it'd be particularly useful, what would we say apart from quoting the missing titles?

I'm not sure what extra information you could add to the post besides titles not available on Blu-ray. But I think it would definitely be a nice overview to have for those wanting to upgrade titles or new fans/collectors. You could split them in categories like these.

"Not available on Blu-ray:"

"Available on Blu-ray, but upscaled":

"HD remaster exists, but no physical release:"

Jox wrote:The list is fairly short (from the top of my head):

I couldn't find Blu-ray releases for Fat Slags, Tour De Pharmacy or SAF3. And some Blu-ray releases aren't the most English friendly either (Italian Blu-ray for "Larceny" has forced subtitles according to Blu-ray.com).
JuV

Postby Jox on 22 Nov 2023, 21:37

JuV wrote:I'm not sure what extra information you could add to the post besides titles not available on Blu-ray. But I think it would definitely be a nice overview to have for those wanting to upgrade titles or new fans/collectors. You could split them in categories like these.

"Not available on Blu-ray:"

"Available on Blu-ray, but upscaled":

"HD remaster exists, but no physical release:"

Thanks for your suggestions. Feel free to create the new topic, or I will soon. I've been meaning to include 4K UHD releases somewhere as well...

JuV wrote:I couldn't find Blu-ray releases for Fat Slags, Tour De Pharmacy or SAF3.

You got me here, I didn't think of those, well done! Even on DVD these titles are not that common to come by...

And some Blu-ray releases aren't the most English friendly either (Italian Blu-ray for "Larceny" has forced subtitles according to Blu-ray.com).

Yes, indeed the Italian has forced subs and yet it's the sole Blu-ray edition anywhere. I now have a player where you can slide down the forced subs off the screen which is good for this kind of release.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby JuV on 25 Nov 2023, 17:54

Jox wrote:Thanks for your suggestions. Feel free to create the new topic, or I will soon. I've been meaning to include 4K UHD releases somewhere as well...

I've created a post here. I think I got everything, but It's possible I've forgotten something. If so, let me know so I can update it :wink:
JuV

Postby Jox on 05 Jan 2024, 19:07

RIP David Soul
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-67895679
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... es-aged-80
https://variety.com/2024/tv/obituaries- ... 235862532/

He was very candid when I exchanged emails with him in 2011:
I'm afraid I don't have the time now as I'm working full-out on a project on Pablo Neruda. I'll be in Chile for the next several months.

What I will say is that PENTATHLON was a terrible film.... very heavy-handed... insubstantive, cheap and derivative. Dolph was lovely but the film was shit. Dolph, as I recall, wanted to do good work, to show he was an "actor", not just an action hero - muscle man. The director (can't remember his name) was all over the place and the film was horrible.

Good luck and best to Dolph.

DAVID

Can I just ask you what made you take the part?

Nobody MADE me take the part. They never have. I managed it all by myself ... mainly because the bank wanted to take away my home. In short, I needed the money. Such is the actor's life. So, don't judge! We've all been there at one time or another. Also, I grew up in Berlin from 1949 to 1956 where my dad worked with refugees fleeing from East Germany. I identified with the basis of the story.

Sorry to hear about Renee [Coleman]. She's a lovely woman. [after I told David that she quit acting soon after the film]

Happy New Year.

DAVID
Jox
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Dolph's Movies