PENTATHLON (Bruce Malmuth, 1994)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Geoff on 01 Sep 2007, 11:13

ok - having a nightmare finding Ironman - anyone any site ideas??
- Lets be honest. This is just a case to you, to me its more. Much more! and if you try and take this disk I'm going to hit you very, very hard!
Geoff
Regular

Postby Jox on 01 Sep 2007, 12:45

I don't know the shop i got from was Discshop.se but they don't have any more
http://www.discshop.se/shop/ds_produkt.php?lang=&id=30430&lang=se&subsite=movies&&ref=
Have to find some other Scandinavian online DVD stores but I'm still afraid this one will be out of print. Also be careful about two French bootlegs of the film, one of them also being called "Ironman" but both of them are dubbed only... There was an HK or Chinese DVD sold on ebay years ago but I haven't seen it quite a while...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Geoff on 01 Sep 2007, 12:56

Ok Jox, nice one thanks.
- Lets be honest. This is just a case to you, to me its more. Much more! and if you try and take this disk I'm going to hit you very, very hard!
Geoff
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 02 Sep 2007, 21:02

Geoff wrote:Confirmation - Its all in German.

Gosh, those idots. Or rather, cheapskates. I'm German but I won't buy a DVD that only has a dubbed version. Dubbing ruins it all. Plus, I really love his voice. Usually they don't even have similar voices for him.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Wol4ica on 07 Sep 2007, 11:01

I've seen in only in tv. Never on dvd or videocassete..
I just like to see it again so much. And can't find it no where..
Wol4ica

Postby dolphage on 07 Sep 2007, 19:38

Mosquito wrote: Usually they don't even have similar voices for him.

Is it the same guy that does his voice in german all the time? I have.. I think four dvd´s that have german audio options on them and I have listened to them a whole lot of times. His voice is always younger and more high pitched (than his real voice) in german.
The same, kind of, goes for his french and spanish dubbings. It sounds like a younger/smaller guy.
What´s up with that?
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 07 Sep 2007, 19:46

Must be 4 or 5 guys doing all the action dudes in French, all the sames for years, distributors don't like to change although they all suck... same guy has been doing Bruce Willis for at least 20 years, same for Tom Cruise, makes sense in a way although dubbing sucks...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 07 Sep 2007, 20:01

So, you mean that four or five guys do ALL the voices of ALL the action stars in french!!

And the "big names" have the same guy throughout the years?

Because in german, to me, it sounds like a similar voice doing DL´s voice over and over.

In any case, it means that if you get a crappy ""voice over guy" it will seem as if you´re a worse actor than you actually are because of the performance of your voice over guy.
dolphage
Regular

Postby dolphage on 07 Sep 2007, 20:07

So, you mean that four or five guys do ALL the voices of ALL the action stars in french!!

And the "big names" have the same guy throughout the years?

Because in german, to me, it sounds like a similar voice doing DL´s voice over and over.

In any case, it means that if you get a crappy ""voice over guy" it will seem as if you´re a worse actor than you actually are because of the performance of your voice over guy.
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 07 Sep 2007, 20:12

Maybe I exaggerate a bit and I haven't watched dubbed films in years but in the 80's and 90's that was even maybe less than 4 or 5...

Indeed that's the problem, even with good "voice actors" I think, with dubbed versions (that people watching them don't realize) is that make the acting worse. With action movies it doesn't help... how can you act an action scene properly when you're in a studio watching the film with your lines to read on a screen when somebody else did all the work on the location? So take someone like Dolph that most people say he can't act, obviously it's worse when you see him dubbed...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Rover on 07 Sep 2007, 20:17

...And I remember that the french guy who dubbed Dolph was incredibly bad. Last time I saw a Dolph movie in french, I was really young, but even then I could say it was a bad dubbing :D
Actually, the only good french voice in the action genre is the guy who does Stallone's voice :)
I have the poweeer!
Rover

Postby dolphage on 07 Sep 2007, 21:42

But, you guys are saying different things... Is there ONE guy that has done Dolph´s voice throughout the years, or are there different guys?

Also, is there an age where you stop watching dubbed movies and start watching the original thing?
dolphage
Regular

Postby Rover on 07 Sep 2007, 22:31

Dolphage, I saw only a few Dolph movies in french (Rocky IV and Dark Angel), and the dubbing sounded horrible on both. I have not seen enough Dolph movies in french to be sure it is always the same guy, but usually they keep the same guy for the dubbing...

I stopped to watch dubbed movies when I was something like 13 (I knew enough english to understand the main things), but it is a personal choice, the theatres show dubbed movies (except if you go to a special screening), same thing on TV, so people who watch movies in english do it on their free will :)
Is it the same thing where you live?
I have the poweeer!
Rover

Postby dolphage on 08 Sep 2007, 10:50

usually they keep the same guy for the dubbing...

It would make sense to keep using the same voice actor, but again it´s too bad if you get stuck with a dubbing guy that sucks.
Is it the same thing where you live?

No. I am swedish and here only the children´s shows get dubbed. But if they would dub Dolph´s movies I would suggest that he himself does the swedish voice (or I could do it!)
dolphage
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 08 Sep 2007, 14:13

dolphage wrote:Because in german, to me, it sounds like a similar voice doing DL´s voice over and over.

I have watched only a few movies in German but I've been told that most of his movies are dubbed by Manfred Lehmann, also an actor. He's famous as "Germany's action voice". He always dubs Bruce Willis, Kurt Russel, Gérard Dépardieu, Christophe Lambert, James Woods. And every tough guy who appears on screen, it seems. :-) He's got a really cool voice but I think he appears too often. He's doing frequent radio ads for a big hardware store which is really annoying.

I think his voice is good for Dolph but only if you don't know Dolph's real voice. Dolph's voice can be so much gentler than Manfred Lehmann's. Here's a sample:
http://www.stimmgerecht.de/schau/lehman.php

The only other famous action movie voice that equals Lehmann's, well, fame and quantity is Thomas Danneberg. He dubs the other half of the big action stars. ;-) Stallone, Arnie, Travolta, Nick Nolte... here's his description and sample:
http://www.stimmgerecht.de/schau/dantho.php

The worst Dolph-voice was used for Red Scorpion, Army of One and Rocky IV. I just found out that it was Helmut Krauss, who is the frequent voice of Marlon Brando or Sam Jackson. Far too old and to rough for Dolph (in this sample it is not as rough as in Red Scorpion):

http://www.helmutkrauss.de/hoerbeispiele/osna-cops-intro.mp3
Mosquito
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies