ROCKY IV (Sylvester Stallone, 1985)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: ROCKY IV (Sylvester Stallone, 1985)

Postby Jox on 21 Nov 2018, 19:03

EDIT:
In cased you missed them there are a few videos of Dolph and Sly discussing the days of ROCKY IV 8)
https://www.facebook.com/pg/RockyMovie/videos/

(I assume this was shot during the production of CREED II, not just because they're in costume but because Dolph is holding pink revisions of the script)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 23 Nov 2018, 10:24

Stallone & Lundgren look back at ROCKY IV - clip 1: Finding Dolph Lundgren

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 28 Nov 2018, 15:24

All Sly / Dolph look back videos on YT

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 29 Nov 2018, 05:30

Cool clips! The end of that last one is pretty funny.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 30 Nov 2018, 12:39

Composer Vince Di Cola:
Hello friends and fans,
Some people asked about if I had any more info on #RockyIV. Here's some more info. My manager Robin Garb - who just happened to be music supervisor on Rocky IV and some previous Stallone films - was one of the first people to become aware of the fact that Sly and Bill Conti had had a falling out after Rocky III. Robin called to inform me of this and asked if I was interested in auditioning for the scoring position. He cautioned that it was a long shot but I had nothing to lose. Of course I said yes and proceeded to compose and record a set of musical themes based on information Robin was feeding me as the story was being written. Because this was a Rocky movie we knew there would be a training scene and a big fight so those were the first themes I composed. I was subsequently informed that a major character in the story was going to meet his death (wasn't told who!) so I needed to come up with some intense action/dramatic music for the scene leading up to his death and some sad dramatic music for the funeral. I was also told there would be a few tender moments between Rocky and Adrian and a scene with Rocky having a poignant conversation with his son, so I wrote a few short pieces with that in mind.

Stallone had no idea I was assembling this 'demo' and Robin's plan was to wait for just the right time and circumstances to present it to him. If memory serves, the first piece on the cassette tape was Training Montage, and the way Robin tells the story Sly jumped out of his chair less than a minute into the piece and asked who composed this music. I had written some songs with Sly's brother Frank for the movie Staying Alive so he was already somewhat familiar with me, but he had no idea I could actually compose score music (and neither did I up that point, by the way!). Of course some adjustments were required to fit the music to picture, but all the music I composed before any film was shot ended up in the score. The rest of the cues were written to picture as final cuts were sent to me.
Vince

https://www.facebook.com/dicolaofficial ... 345537700/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 12 Dec 2018, 23:39

ROCKY IV will be screened in Paris on January 7th before the CREED II premiere at the biggest, most prestigious theatre, Le Grand Rex!

Ticket reservations:
http://bit.do/RockyCreed
https://www.facebook.com/events/199334184338419/

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 16 Dec 2018, 18:18

I hope this Taschen book gets a more affordable edition down the road! 8)
https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalo ... _films.htm
Rocky: The Complete Films
Edition of 1,926
Sylvester Stallone, Paul Duncan
Hardcover in a clamshell box, 29 x 44 cm, 380 pages, each numbered and signed by Sylvester Stallone; with a print of Stallone’s painting Finding Rocky (1975) and a 36-page Rocky notebook facsimile, 20.3 x 28 cm
ISBN 978-3-8365-4999-8
Multilingual Edition: English, French, German

5 Rare Photos From Inside Taschen's New Rocky Coffee Table Book
https://www.menshealth.com/entertainmen ... able-book/

In collaboration with Sylvester Stallone and MGM, this Collector’s Edition, signed by Sylvester Stallone, brings you all the guts and all the glory of the complete Rocky story, right through to Creed. Copious images, including many on-set pictures from famed sports photographer Neil Leifer, come together with precious archival material from the Academy Library and MGM archive to reveal the making of an enduring action hero as much as a movie masterpiece. A foreword by Stallone and vintage interviews over the course of his career bring insight into the development of the hero and the franchise, as well as privileged access to the tenacity, spirit, and passion that characterized Rocky behind the scenes as much as on screen.

The book includes a print of Sylvester Stallone’s Finding Rocky (1975), a painting he completed before writing the script. It was, for Stallone, “the genesis of Rocky.” Also included is a facsimile of Sylvester Stallone’s handwritten notebook for Rocky (circa 1975), which details dialogue, scenes, and ideas for the film, as well as the original unused ending. Stallone: “This is where all the ideas were coming out and the way I would write them.”

Collector’s Edition (No. 51–1,976), numbered and signed by Sylvester Stallone, each with a print of Stallone’s painting Finding Rocky (1975) and a 36-page Rocky notebook facsimile.

Also available as two Art Editions of 25 copies each (No. 1–50), with a signed print by Neil Leifer and Stallone, Stallone’s signed Finding Rocky (1975), and a 36-page Rocky notebook facsimile.

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mike Retter on 21 Dec 2018, 18:43

Perhaps my favourite film of all time.
Mike Retter

Postby Jox on 04 Jan 2019, 16:59

Jox wrote:
Jox wrote:Drago spin-off novel called "Drago: On Mountains we Stand"
free copy sent anywhere worldwide through http://www.facebook.com/Dragobook

This following Australian podcast put their finger on the fact that the author put as much effort making up the legend of imaginary author Todd Noy as he did writing this short spin-off novel:
http://theblankslate.libsyn.com/60-rock ... rd-mcgeown

FINDING DRAGO: podcast
Kinda funny Australian show about investigating this book and the mysterious "Todd Noy"...
https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/finding-drago/

Finding Drago is an investigative podcast, hosted by comedians and film geeks Alexei Toliopoulos and Cameron James (from Mike Check and Total Reboot podcasts).

The pair attempt to track down Todd Noy, the author of "Drago: On Mountains We Stand", an unauthorized literary spin-off from Sylvester Stallone's Rocky IV that chronicles the life of the USSR's greatest fictional athlete Ivan Drago.

Reading the Wikipedia entry for Ivan Drago, one sentence referencing the book stood out like a robot butler in an otherwise grounded film series.

It said the book is "affectionately referred to as Noy's final masterpiece", and the mythology is only enriched by several exaggerated user reviews online. Stranger still, his bio recounts that:

"Noy disappeared in January 1992 after a long battle with alcohol and drug addictions. Presumed dead, a memorial service was held in his honour in Perth in December 1995."

So who the hell was this Todd Noy? And why has no one heard of him?

What starts as a laugh becomes a full-blown mystery as Alexei tries to find the author behind the book about the villain from the worst Rocky movie.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 06 Jan 2019, 11:21

Vince DiCola

Hello friends and fans,
I was asked if I ever received a one million sold platinum plaque. Here it is. I'm not even sure if they even make these anymore as it seems the future of music is streaming and downloads, but none the less I was honored to be a part of #RockyIV. I was so lucky to have worked with so many incredible musicians during this time.
Vince

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 29 Jan 2019, 19:26

Never seen this set pic before

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 16 Feb 2019, 20:02

And another Rocky toy wave, looks like those which came out around the movie release... but the packaging art looks great!

(And Neca is putting out KARATE KID '84 figures, are you sure we're in 2019?)
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies