ICARUS / THE KILLING MACHINE (Dolph Lundgren, 2009)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: ICARUS / The Killing Machine (2009)

Postby Dragonrage on 21 Jul 2010, 14:58

Jox wrote:Because the transfer and aspect ratio are better than the German one.

Aha...hehe...OK, will see...

But I'm still hoping that Canadian or Australian release will have that original cover... :mrgreen:

O man...I just noticed...when it comes to Dolph's movies...I always have problem with covers LOL :lol:
Dragonrage

Postby Sec on 21 Jul 2010, 15:04

We haven't had Command Performance or Direct Contact yet out here in Australia, our last Dolph was Missionary man - though they did speed up the release of Unisol: Regen which is available now. And for some reason they skipped over releasing Direct Action here as well.
www.explosiveaction.com : action movie reviews of the direct-to-video variety
Sec

Postby Jox on 21 Jul 2010, 17:19

Anchor Bay might have picked a crappy title but they sure know how to cut a trailer!
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=452631761339
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 21 Jul 2010, 17:35

Yep, that is an excellent trailer.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby dolphage on 21 Jul 2010, 17:39

Jox wrote:Anchor Bay might have picked a crappy title but they sure know how to cut a trailer!
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=452631761339
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8TNUmgCZZI

Insane! They know exactly what they're doing, though. A title like that combined with a trailer that makes the movie seem like it's completely non-stop action ensures sales.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 21 Jul 2010, 17:56

Speaking of which, the previous trailer is about to have more views on Youtube than the COMMAND PERFORMANCE teaser, and given it's closer release from THE EXPENDABLES I have a feeling ICARUS might sell more than CP.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 21 Jul 2010, 18:09

Jox wrote:Speaking of which, the previous trailer is about to have more views on Youtube than the COMMAND PERFORMANCE teaser, and given it's closer release from THE EXPENDABLES I have a feeling ICARUS might sell more than CP.

That wouldn't be surprising, they've picked the right time to release Icarus/The Killing Machine. And that was a great trailer filled with lots of action shots and the acting from Dolph was actually pretty good in this one, probably his best acting in terms of directorial efforts. I will say this about Anchor Bay, they may have picked a title which sacrifices artistic quality in favour of greater sales but The Killing Machine at least makes sense, it's a title that combined with that trailer will definately sell and they have been quite faithful to Dolph releasing a few of his efforts, I'm just glad it's not fucking First Look, I can't stand those pricks. Here's hoping we get some nice TV spots in the UK too.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Nathan on 21 Jul 2010, 18:22

Jox, I'm asking you this openly on the forum because I felt others might have noticed this too or be interested, I know Vanberch has just asked it on the Van Damme forum and I was about to ask, but did Anchor Bay re-colour correct Icarus? It looks like it? It looks a lot more dark and gritty or did they accquire a different cut from Dolph etc? The trailer made it look a helluva lot better....
Nathan
Regular

Postby dolphage on 21 Jul 2010, 18:26

Nathan wrote:Jox, I'm asking you this openly on the forum because I felt others might have noticed this too or be interested, I know Vanberch has just asked it on the Van Damme forum and I was about to ask, but did Anchor Bay re-colour correct Icarus? It looks like it? It looks a lot more dark and gritty or did they accquire a different cut from Dolph etc? The trailer made it look a helluva lot better....

I don't understand. Why would you NOT ask this openly on the forum?
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 21 Jul 2010, 18:30

Doubt they could get a different cut. But they might have done their own color grading (as good distributors make their own masters) and Anchor Bay used to have good reputation for releasing good looking editions. Or this is just the trailer.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 21 Jul 2010, 18:35

dolphage wrote:
Nathan wrote:Jox, I'm asking you this openly on the forum because I felt others might have noticed this too or be interested, I know Vanberch has just asked it on the Van Damme forum and I was about to ask, but did Anchor Bay re-colour correct Icarus? It looks like it? It looks a lot more dark and gritty or did they accquire a different cut from Dolph etc? The trailer made it look a helluva lot better....

I don't understand. Why would you NOT ask this openly on the forum?

I sometimes just use PM in case the question is silly and clutters up the thread, because I know what it's like on the Van Damme forum for example where you have to trawl through pages of endless shit just to get to the few words of news within a 110 page topic. But in this case I was also kinda asking others if they had noticed this too.
Nathan
Regular

Postby Nathan on 21 Jul 2010, 18:38

Jox wrote:Doubt they could get a different cut. But they might have done their own color grading (as good distributors make their own masters) and Anchor Bay used to have good reputation for releasing good looking editions. Or this is just the trailer.

Well, hopefully they have, as you suggest, altered the movie slightly using their own grading system, that would have been a smart move because it looks very very cheap in some scenes, if I'm entirely honest. Also, I think the fact they've gone to the trouble of making a new trailer and obviously taking a lot of time on the cover shows they are dedicated to the release of the movie. Hopefully First Look or any other frequent shitty release culprits for that matter, don't get their hands on any more Dolph movies. I was even very disappointed to see Lionsgate release the Command Performance cover in that state, there was no need because the back cover of the UK dvd is very good.
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 21 Jul 2010, 18:45

Nathan wrote:it looks very very cheap in some scenes, if I'm entirely honest.

Can't say it's wasn't cheap, because it was!

The DP wanted intended to a much darker look than the released version which he also thinks is crap and makes him look bad.
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies