DIRECT CONTACT (Danny Lerner, 2008)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: DIRECT CONTACT (2008)

Postby Krom on 27 Jan 2010, 15:26

Nice cover!
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular

Postby evegotbet on 10 Feb 2010, 08:12

i watched 'Direct Contact' - i think i pinpointed the fall where Dolph hurt his elbow. Sorry Dolph, the fall doesn't look like it tickled. i find it interesting to see how Dolph naturally cushioned/stopped his fall by placing his left elbow and right foot to hit the floor first.
if that was me thrown to the floor, it would have been my back and my head to hit the floor first (ouch) - interesting. impressive - more martial arts Dolph :D .
evegotbet

Postby irma_gedden on 24 Mar 2010, 22:51

I had a question, I was reading the great account of the "Expendables" set visit on the main page and read there was a set visit to this movie too. Is there an article about that on the site? I couldn't find it, but I may have been going to the wrong categories.

Thanks!
IG
irma_gedden

Postby Jox on 24 Mar 2010, 23:23

Good question. No there wasn't, because the set report was reserved for the planned-and-cancelled website for the movie. (On the other hand you can read the production diary on the COMMAND PERFORMANCE site 8) ) If you have any questions, please ask. When I have time I'll select and post some exclusive photos I took on the set... :wink:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby irma_gedden on 25 Mar 2010, 00:11

Jox wrote:Good question. No there wasn't, because the set report was reserved for the planned-and-cancelled website for the movie. (On the other hand you can read the production diary on the COMMAND PERFORMANCE site 8) ) If you have any questions, please ask. When I have time I'll select and post some exclusive photos I took on the set... :wink:

Sweet--thanks for the info! I'll check out the Command Performance blog. It's too bad the DIrect Contact site didn't go online. I actually enjoyed that one alot along with my brother (who is also a big DTV/Dolph fan). As for questions, I had a few (sorry if you've answered them all before).

1. What is the biggest difference between a set like DIrect Contact and the Expendables set?
2. Is Dolph as intelligent and nice as he seems in interviews?
3. What was the most enjoyable thing about your vist?

Thanks alot!
IG
irma_gedden

Postby Jox on 25 Mar 2010, 02:14

I'll answer in details shortly :wink:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby irma_gedden on 25 Mar 2010, 04:33

Jox wrote:I'll answer in details shortly :wink:

Thank you much--looking forward to it.

IG
irma_gedden

Postby Jox on 25 Mar 2010, 13:16

irma_gedden wrote: 1. What is the biggest difference between a set like DIrect Contact and the Expendables set?

It's a good question and I'll just answer from my perspective only. First of all you have to take into account that I've spent 5 days on the set of DIRECT CONTACT and only 1 on THE EXPENDABLES. Also note that both films are produced by the same company (Nu Image/Millennium Films) with some of the same producers (Les Weldon) and THE EXPENDABLES, although a big budget, is still an independent production outside of the studio system (which probably would have made more difference). One big difference is the location and crew: on DC you are in Bulgaria (not that it's bad because it's a beautiful country) with a few international above the line crew and cast members (Dolph, Gina May, Michael Paré, Ross Clarkson, Les Weldon, Mark Roper, Barry Evans) and 90% of Bulgarians (who have different personalities and behavior than Americans obviously)... and on THE EXPENDABLES you're (in my case) in New Orleans with an American crew, some of them veterans and the best in the business. They obviously have more equipments, cranes of all sizes, the palace set for of the final battle was definitely huge etc (and better craft service!) It was the end of the shoot when I visited and it wasn't a crazy action scene, so everybody was very laid back and just doing their job, probably exhausted from the previous 3 months.

But overall, even though every production is different, a film set is always kind of the same once you've been on a few, the biggest difference being the number of people. Also even on a huge deal like TE, I heard the same kind of complaints that it was still pretty unorganized and somewhat messed up, that the producers were over their heads etc Maybe I'm wrong but I suspect that to some extent, Nu Image will always function the same way, whether they have money or not, it's a very particular company (just like Cannon was) that can't be totally corporate (maybe that's not such a bad thing?).

I'll add that the biggest difference is DIRECT CONTACT was directed by someone who's pretty passive on the set and is not very demanding and thankfully for him and the film, he could rely on a very good cinematographer (Ross Clarkson), a very good assistant/second unit director (Mark Roper), and a star who's very involved and makes suggestions too. On the other hand, THE EXPENDABLES is the fruit of one army general, Sylvester Stallone, who is a very commanding director (crew were almost scared of him) with a clear, precise and detailed vision of what he wants, and he's not gonna quit before he gets it.
2. Is Dolph as intelligent and nice as he seems in interviews?
Absolutely, and more! He's very down to earth and he demonstrates his seriousness and dedication in work, and his fun personality and sense of humor. He also treats everybody equally and with respect. Dolph isn't the type "I know it all and it's my way or the highway"; it's the opposite: he trusts people and asks for their opinions. Movie star or not, he's just a very nice person to deal with and hang out with.
3. What was the most enjoyable thing about your vist?

Finally meeting Dolph in person, after 20 years of fandom! (The shoot was great fun too, with lots of explosions, shoot outs etc!)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby irma_gedden on 25 Mar 2010, 22:06

Jox,

Thanks very much for that detailed and insightful response. It was really interesting reading the comparison between DC and TE and how the production company (NU Image) does things differently than the studio system in both cases. Maybe you will get to visit the set of a major blockbuster produced by one of the main Hollywood companies and get to report on that!

It was also interesting reading about Stallone. I read, in one of the Swedish articles posted here, that Stallone was pretty tough on Dolph to get a specific performance (and I remember reading in your account that Stallone even told Dolph how specific lines should be read). I was surprised and impressed to hear Stallone was so perfectionistic. I wonder if he was like that wen filming Rocky IV? Stallone and Dolph seem to be pretty good friends, though (despite Stallone's perfectionism), which is really nice to hear in a business where back-stabbing is common.

I'm glad to hear Dolph is a respectful professional. He really seems like it and it was nice to hear it. I saw a TMZ vid once (I don't like that site but when I googled Dolph the vid came up) where one of the photographers asked Dolph for a couple of bucks for the vending machine. He nicely gave it and made a joke. I thought anyone who could deal with those papparazzis like that must have a pretty nice attitude in general.

I'm glad you got to meet him after all this time! You really have done a great job with the site and I hope you get more opportunities for set visits in the future. It's really interesting to read about the filmmaking business form a completely different perspective.
irma_gedden

Postby Sec on 13 Apr 2010, 15:36

Some spoilers:

Just watched this movie. What great fun! Prison punch-up, four car chases, multiple shoot-outs, explosions, one-liners, over-the-top acting and the three M's: military, mobsters, 'mericans. Not forgetting the love scene on a haystack by a fire and the walk into the sunset - everything I want in an 80's throwback action movie. It just needed a helicopter exploding on take off, and a cop saying "I'm too old for this shit!".

Will definitely watch this one again with a few friends around!
www.explosiveaction.com : action movie reviews of the direct-to-video variety
Sec

Postby Geoff on 17 Apr 2010, 21:48

I've also just seen this on R1 and I kinda liked it to, watched it in a Dolph session with CP & US3. Not bad at all although I think Michael pare was under used.
- Lets be honest. This is just a case to you, to me its more. Much more! and if you try and take this disk I'm going to hit you very, very hard!
Geoff
Regular

Postby Jox on 10 May 2010, 11:15

It seems that the Spanish DIRECT CONTACT edition is the only one with extras: making of featurette, interviews, B-roll footage and trailer
http://www.covercaratulas.com/ode/new_s ... r_eltamba_[dvd]_80.jpg

You can order it here:
http://www.dvdgo.com/dvd-direct-contact/1689895/152894

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Scorpio on 11 May 2010, 16:57

Spanish Trailer
Scorpio

Postby Scorpio on 12 May 2010, 06:18

Making Of (Spanish)